Mystery car part

Actually, most recent vintage japanese and american cars and trucks have flasher circuits that are designed to blink faster when there is a bulb out. This is often the only way you'll know you have a bulb out, as most people never walk around their cars. As you might imagine, a fast flashing turn signal will nearly always get you a "courtesy stop" if a cop sees you, which can result in a bonus for them if you happen to have any problems outstanding.

The old thermal flashers were of two types, one a simple two-prong device about as tall as it's diameter with a thermal disc that was heated by the current flowing through it. It would "pop" over and break the circuit after a bit of time, then cool and reset the circuit. This type would stop blinking, or blink really slowly when a bulb was out. using one of these and connecting a trailer (additional bulb(s)) would result in a really fast blinking... The second type was usually two to three times diameter and often with three terminals actually contained a timer of sorts and relay, and was often sold for "trailering" where there were more bulb. These typically had a relatively constant rate that didn't depend on the load, as long as at least one bulb was working. This type was bad because you couldn't tell if a bulb ws out, but was good because you didn't need to swap the flasher when you hooked up the trailer...

--Rick

Reply to
Rick Frazier

A little further OT, I was following an old geezer ( I'm one too) one day when he stopped at a light and, even though he had a couple 8" dia. lights in his back window ( I had mounted cheap "clearance" lights in mine - this was just after the birth of "eye level brake lights, and I had an older vehicle) there was not a sign of brake light. I walked up and mentioned this deficiency to him and his reply was "Damned fuse must have blown again!" Apparently he didn't comprehend the fact that his wonderful, super large, eye level brake lights might draw a lot more power than the original equipment. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

.....as have all European ones since 1980

Maybe you guys were too busy getting men to the moon but your car technology has seriously lagged the rest of the world :)

Reply to
Mike