Need supplier for astatine bar stock

Does anyone know a good source for astatine rounds? It would be nice to have a couple 1" diameter bars 12' long. Also some info on feeds and speeds would be helpful.

Dixon

Reply to
Dixon

Do you want that in hot rolled of cold rolled??

Reply to
Randy Fedo

Ask us again in about four months - we're really busy getting ready for the holidays right now, so our stock of all shapes of Astatine is really low. And all we carry is hot-rolled.

Loof Lirpa, CEO Lirpa Labs

Ab, V'z abg tbvat guebhtu gur rssbegf gb znxr fcbbs urnqref.

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

We've got a few bars but we're waiting on a shipment of sapient pear wood to make the shipping crates from. I'll post when available. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

From the Wikipedia entry on it :

Astatine is the rarest naturally-occurring element, with the total amount in Earth's crust estimated to be less than 1 oz (28 g) at any given time; this amounts to less than one teaspoon of the element.

Good luck on your search. I suggest capturing a star preparing to go supernova and picking up the pieces after the implosion. Not too sure how much you'll get, though.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I mathematicly figured a simple device to obtain free energy. All the items are cheap and available except it requires one and an eighth oz. of astatine.

Dixon

Reply to
Dixon

"Dixon" wrote: I mathematicly figured a simple device to obtain free energy. All the items

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Does it involve placing windmills in front of the people that are laughing at this thread?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I guess this is the next best thing to unobtanium for most common uses.

Reply to
oldjag

Gosh - a Beta source and so radioactive - and not April 1!

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Randy Fedo wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

You are in excellent luck! The Spallation Neutron Source at Oak Ridge National Labs is just coming on line. They expect to produce 10^15 neutrons/second by some time next year. I think they could crank out your additional 1/8 ounce by transmutation in fairly short order with that facility.

Oh, this "free" energy won't be free, then. You'd have to pay the electric bill at the SNS, and since they plan on pumping 1.4 MW of beam power onto the target, the electric bill is going to be quite substantial.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I have done some recalculating on the amount of astatine needed. You said there is about an ounce in the earths crust. I only need about 3/4 of an oz! Assuming it is evenly distributed throughout the planet that would be an atom per sq. mi. Do you foresee any problems in collecting it? Dixon

Reply to
Dixon

Hmm, for starters you'll need to buy up every piece of property in the world, knock down every building, and dig it all up. Think anyone will mind? How about the oceans? Ahh, just pump them to the moon while you're digging.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson