NEW RESULTS was Chevy Kodiak dumptruck gasoline problems

Yep. Studying hard right now.

Ignoramus28705

On 3/3/2012 11:10 PM, Ignoramus20398 wrote: ...

That's _very_ unlikely; any dump would want to be able to spread a load of gravel, for example.

You'll have to clutch to engage the PTO, but when you let it out, it won't care which gear the tranny is in...

--

Reply to
dpb

There's a second hydraulic valve control as well that will have to be closed(/opened depending on your point of view :) ) to cause the bed to raise as well...so you won't be raising it by pure chance on the interstate. :)

While we're telling stories, I'll relate one I did as a HS kid working for local ready-mix guy one summer it was too hot/dry so had no field work at home on the farm. Hauling dirt from foundation/floor slab prep work on the new hospital wing here to a fill location on south side of town. I'd made a bunch of trips that day, was getting late and was tired and ready to go do something more exciting for the evening when I forgot to pull the tailgate lever before raising the bed on one load. All of a sudden, I'm looking at a about a 45 degree angle up to the north as the truck body returns to the "fully upright and locked position" w/ the load still on.

A little startled from my daydreams, I considered there really was no alternative but to try the lever (which, fortunately, was one of those mounted on the front of the bed by the driver's door so could do from the cab w/o getting out of the truck. If it hadn't been, would have been a trick to get there as it was quite a ways down to the ground at that point :) ). So, I pull and WHAM! the front wheels hit the ground, the engine dies and I bounce around in the cab pretty good. Get out, look around, see no blown tires or oil on the ground so climb in crank up and go on. No harm, no foul... :) I did learn not to do _that_ again, though. :) I was probably 16 that year if my years aren't too mixed up; think that would have been after my sophomore year in HS.

--

Reply to
dpb

OK, I got it. Thanks.

Ignoramus28705

So I am not the only one who does things like this, nice.

Ignoramus28705

Ignoramus28705 Inscribed thus:

Actually that reminds me of a guy driving off a building site with the tipper body still up and ripping down a local power line. Fortunately no one got hurt but it stopped traffic for the rest of the day.

Reply to
Baron

I did that once too when driving truck during summer vacations during college. Fortunately I was backed up to a pile. The front end was off the ground, but the pile behind kept it from going as high as yours did. The loader operator and I managed to get the dump handle to release the tailgate. It was wedged pretty tight by the force of the load. I think we may have had to use a hammer on the handle to release it. I don't remember getting bounced around in the cab like you did. Those were the days back in the early 70's - no CDL requirement yet.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Or the soil testing drill rig crew moving around the airport runway approach area with the mast up, when they caught the overhead telecom cable, snapping off six of the old, rotten support poles. fortunately the cable wasn't damaged but the drill rig sat there for two weeks until the whole section of cable was re routed underground. Hell of a way to save ten minutes at each stop by not lowering the mast for each move, also it happened Friday afternoon. Luckily they weren't held liable for the full cost, just the extra cost of advancing the schedule by a year.

Reply to
grmiller

We had that happen to the main trunkline on our cable system in Cincinnati. The idiots were tipping the beds as they drove off the highway, into the gravel yard for their next load and more than one ripped it down. The first was classed an accident. The second cost them $15,000 in repairs. They refused to pay, until our corporate lawyers informed them we would file leans on all their assets, and shut the plant down till it was paid. Amazingly, they had no more 'accidents' after that. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I recall a county snowplow who took out a mile of telephone lines. Ma Bell was not happy with him...

Reply to
David Lesher

I used to live on a bust highway and the jerks would shove a huge pile in front of my work truck, just to piss me off. That stopped, when i fired the truck up one day and shoved most of the mound back into the middle of the highway. ;-)

The REALLY bad dudes didn't bother to start them, they just dragged them back & forth on their victims! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell