Next step for MOEPED

Well, I think it was said of the mathematician Gauss that when he cooked, it took him a long time but the results were invariably delicious. Or something like that. I make chicken paprikash the farm way. It takes a while but it's good.

I've been writing about the 110 VAC motor/generator on the MOEPED (MObile Experimental Physics Educational Demonstrator) recently and the attempt to turn this motor into a generator is showing a steep learning curve and never ending challenges.

But I did figure one thing out.

Earlier, to vibration test all parts, I'd connected the rear-wheel driven hundred-watt DC generator to an AC inverter, then to the AC motor, which powers the cranks. It worked OK, but it was just a dynamic brake. Perpetuum mobile non.

Well, I finally realized what I did wrong there. I used a modified square wave inverter!

I've already got the sine wave inverter, and have mounted it once. I'd had it all along.

I think when I repeat the shakedown, it should provide a little more compelling ride than before, and in the meantime I'm going to have to educate myself with EET 350 at ODU via the video lectures that I hate. It's the only thing available to me.

Anyway, I'm setting the generator one burner over, and moving back to the shakedown, this time with a significantly more "pure" mobile AC source. That should keep me busy.

Yours,

Doug Goncz Replikon Research Falls Church, VA 22044-0394

Reply to
DGoncz

Are you hatching your own eggs or buying chicks?;-)

Reply to
JohnM

Not quite that long, JohnM....

What I do is take the skin off the bird and render the fat from the skin in a glass skillet, slicing and dicing as the skin warms. The rendered rinds go to the family pet, or when Hungarians are dining, are sprinkled on top just before serving.

Then I transfer the fat to a large Teflon coated skillet and toss in some paprika. The paprika foams up and will burn if you don't proceed immediately. I toss in and fry some chopped onions until they are a little translucent. I add some chopped green peppers, but I don't fry them anywhere near as long as the onions.

I transfer the onions and peppers to a bowl, brown the chicken a bit, add more paprika and some salt, lower the heat, toss on the onions and peppers, and cover, then cook at very low heat until the chicken just about falls off the bone.

I serve this with broccoli neat, or with a little butter, and Zatirain's Yellow Rice. :o} Yummy!

Doug

Reply to
DGoncz

:D

I'll pass that along to the old lady- she eats meat but I don't.. Give me that brocolli and rice with a little butter and I'll be happy.

Hope to hear some more on the MOEPED soon, that's a project that has my interest.

John

Reply to
JohnM

There are a number of kinds of paprika. Which do you use?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I use Szeged HOT Hungarian Paprika. It has to be fresh.

Oh, the aroma of the sweetening onions and the paprika, when you get it right. And I know way down how it should smell....

It's weird, but you do things like this a little differently each time, and you don't usually take notes. So I can't say exactly what is required. I can offer this: my grandmother said, not long before she died of colon cancer, "Don't burn the paprika!" And when I get it right, the scent takes me to her home in Watertown, MA, outside MIT, not long after my father, who died of emphysema two years ago, graduated from there, and I was very small. It's absolutely *amazing*. I can smell the onions and paprika and the house dust, and her...it's an incredibly powerful experience.

I have to tell the gang in my mindfulness group about this.

Doug

Reply to
DGoncz