oh god they f**ked up google groups bigtime

I just went and was googling on some old threads.

Jesus. You can *not* get to groups.google.com anymore, now it redirects you to groups-beta.google.com and it's HORRIBLE.

This is a disaster.

Grant Erwin

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Damnedest thing I ever saw. Why in the hell did they do this? I want my old google back!!!

Reply to
bi11fidd1e

ACK! Or in the immortal words of Bill the Cat..."Phhhspht!

What happened, did Microsoft buy google groups while we weren't watching? I've generally liked Google and google-designed user interfaces up to this point, but the Groups beta sucks big-time! Give us back our easy-to=use and easy-to-read groups!

Bleah!

Bob

Reply to
bob.edwards

If you read their "About Google Groups Beta" article, it sounds to me like they're trying to erase the advantages Usenet has over web-and-email groups/lists. So they've dumbed down the interface to make their mailing lists seem like a good idea.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

Blink blink...why not simply use Usenet and avoid the retarded (at best of times) Google groups interface?

I recommend Agent news reader btw...Thunderbird isnt bad either.

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building? On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's? Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc. Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets. Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that "civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops" Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism

Reply to
Gunner

if you read the OP - he was talking about the Google search for old threads on Usenet - a very excellent service indeed

Dale

back in the '60's?

go home and open the gun cabinets.

"voting from the rooftops"

Reply to
dalecue

At the time of posting, Google.com.au hadn't made the change. Same old format.

Y'see, we Aussies don't let no darned corporation push us around, no siree Bob!

hehe

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R.

I always use "Advanced Search" and it's *still* the same:

Bob Engelhardt

The same thing happened with DejaNews several years ago. They re-directed to google, which at the time sucked. That's when I went to Newsguy.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Yeah, that's pretty awful. Is there any other service to search the groups archive database?

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

building back in the '60's?

problems

they go home and open the gun cabinets.

route to "voting from the rooftops"

Misc.Survivalism

Reply to
cyberzl1

I logged on this morning at about 7:15 am ET and got the crappy new format. Just logged on at 10:48 am and got the traditional format again. I'm stuck using Google as a work around for the lack of news group access at work. Maybe the new format earlier this morning was an inadvertant premature roll out (hope).

Reply to
Aribert

As Mark Twain said, "Old usenet articles are like fish. After a couple of weeks, they smell."

The only thing google archives are good for is so that netnannies can go back and dredge up old shit. I prefer new shit.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yes, it is far better to ask again how to fix the $200 bandsaw which is not cutting straight than to search the archives to see how hundreds have done so in the past.

Reply to
Joel Corwith

redirects

Huh. A little more trickery to get here (had to re-register, which means entering my login (e-mail and PW) and giving them a new nickname), as well as find RCM in the first place-- a directory search for "rec.crafts.metalworking" turned up nothing, so I had to search for posts on the group. Then clicked the group index and up turned this thread, right at the top as a matter of fact. Really looks funny when Google shows a post knocking itself ;)

Tim (And hey, my sig is still in the clipboard. Well, OE is still open to RCM actually. Mwa ha ha, bandwidth THIS!)

-- "I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"

- Homer Simpson Website @

Tim Williams

Yeah, but that's a social thing. Would you rather poke buttons on the phone to find out how to fix a problem, or get right down to business with a live person?

Tim

Tim Williams

-=-=- From: "Tim Williams" Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking Subject: Re: oh god they f**ked up google groups bigtime Date: 2 Dec 2004 08:51:08 -0800 Organization:

I'll be darned, it actually appeared *immediately*. Looks like they actually improved it quite nicely, Grant.

Tim

Tim Williams

Guess what? Today everything is back to the old way. Wonder what the deal is.

Reply to
Bill Fiddle

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 07:49:51 -0600, "John L. Weatherly" spake the words:

Have you guys tried the Advanced section of that? It doesn't look very different from the old style output but the search is flaky right now. It gave me the proper search for a word when it was used in the subject header search instead of the word search, even though the word didn't appear in the subject. The difference I see are the highlighted words and names.

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I use the archives every day for getting answers to questions and reasearching old stuff. It's a lot easier to read a complete, resolved thread in a few seconds rather than asking again. Plus all the info posted by people who no longer post for whatever reason.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4