OT: 45 ACP ammo

I'm enjoying some downtime. Last day of work was Dec 23, next day of work Jan

  1. Talked to uncle, we need to do some shooting, he is working on getting his 45/70 Browning highwall to shoot decent groups and I have a Marlin Guide gun with about 36 rounds of 405G cast bullets that I can't find the loading data to empty.

Sounds like a great reason to go out shooting in the dead of a michigan winter. We will have to walk a bit to get to our personal range due to snow but that is a good cardiac workout.

Somehow we got onto the subject of .45 acp. I learned that uncles 1911 still holds some ammo I loaded just after I got out of the USMC in 1979. That ammo went off just fine, I was using some monster holed hollow points and HS-6 if I remember right.

I suggested we shoot that gun and I'd supply a refill of modern stuff for his gun and my Ruger P-90 after we shot some to check function.

I drove all over today, I can find .40 S&W everywhere but .45 ACP, forget about it.

Started moving tooling into my snug little shop. The 3' wide steel shelve I have have looks like it might fold under the weight of things I have collected. I could find 4' wide shelves that are sturdy while shopping but 3' seems to be a thing currently not in vogue.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

We've got .45 ACP in Memphis . 35 bucks a box last time I checked . Makes me glad I 've got a few hundred rounds , and components for a few hundred more .

Reply to
Snag

35 per 50 sounds like rifle prices not so long ago.

Damn. I'm looking at a box of 50 PMC .45 acp cartriges I paid 10.99 not so long ago.

Well I guess it has been a while, 2001, I looked it up on quicken. I wish my

401K had done as well as ammo in major calibers. My Clinton era components stock pile isn't looking so crazy after all.

Wes

Wes

I've alwqys been kind of a stockpiler . Any time I find a good buy on ammo or components I'll buy as much as I can afford . I won't be hurtin' unless it comes to all out war in the streets . And then it'll just be a matter of reloadin' fast enough .

Reply to
Snag

How about your idea that you needed to stockpile in the first place because Clinton was elected? Have you figured out that was a crazy idea just like the one going around now that you have to stockpile because Obama is president? A Democrat in the White House is not a reason to stockpile ammo. Thinking so is the crazy idea. Always has been, but that's why the .45 ACP is so hard to find. Things will go back to normal in a year or so when the panic wears off.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

There's talk of a "Federal Reloader License" that will be needed in the near future to buy heavily taxed components.

Reply to
Buerste

Geeze...dont you guys have more than a couple hours shooting at the range in stock?

Blink blink...

Gunner, who collected (3) 5gallon buckets full of wheel weights today. Offered and gave the guy $10 for about 300 lbs..maybe 400 lbs of good clean used wheel weights. Because they will become Illegal in California on Jan 1st.

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I bought some .45 Blazers the other day for under $20 for 50 rounds. The better, name brand stuff is going for closer to $30. I can buy it most anywhere, but not alot of boxes on the shelf.

Reply to
Greg O

Wheel weights are as rare as hen's teeth here. I need to BUY lead. Sell me some ingots please? Those USPS flat-rate boxes work great! I'd be glad to send you funds PayPal for as much or as little as you will sell.

Reply to
Buerste

Reload for $3/box of 50 if you cast free lead.

Reply to
Buerste

You cant get wheel weights? Why the hell not? Some law like California just put into place or???

I can send you some..but it will be a little while before I get em all melted down and cast into ingots.

And Ive got 8 more tire shops to hit.

Im looking to have 1 ton of them on hand in the next week or two.

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I was in Walmart this afternoon. Good supply of ammo. Priced higher than I normally see..but not as high as most gun shops.

In another few months...it will be down even more.

Ill need to stock up on a couple more 8 lb kegs of powder though

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Ayup

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 01:19:26 -0500, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

Is that primers, wax, and powder? Or including brass, too?

-- "I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that money can buy." --Tom Clancy

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sounds like if we all knew, we'd have done right to invest in ammo. Instead of stock market. Ride the ammo up, or keep the supply for self.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What happens when the govt mandates a turn-in, and all your supplies are suddenly worth zero?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Shoot. I threw away half a milk crate of them about six months ago.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Guns ? What guns ? I don't have any guns . Sold 'em all years ago when Obama promised to protect me .

Say , you ain't descended from that asshole Brigham Young are you ? Story goes that he stuck his staff into the ground by a pond and said "This would be a good place to have a community." . And thus was born Deweyville . They say the old willow tree next to Blackham's pond is that staff ... more likely one of it's descendents . Speaking of descendents , if my daughter-in-law is correct , there was a guy really early in the church called "Mormon" Coombs . One of 'Ol Joe Smith's henchmen , if the story I heard is true .

Reply to
Snag

You'll have to excuse Chris. He just top posts short ootsie cutesie posts so he can have his sig line show up. He's building up points for a temple recommend.

Steve

Steve B

Sure, after the investment of reloading equipment! Pretty sure for my 50-100 rounds per year buying ammo is a better deal! Greg O

Reply to
Greg O