OT: 45 ACP ammo

One Saturday morning shopping tour (yard saleing) on my way back to the car, something on the road caught my eye, so I scooped it into my pocket. Next stop, I took a look at the $20 bill folded over a $50 bill. Best bargain of the summer! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

My estimates are based on the number of wheel weights that have come off cars that I have driven. That and if the number of wheel weights lost was as large a number as the government estimates, someone would have designed a better wheel weight.

We could conduct an informal poll of RCM readers. How many of you have experienced a loss of a wheel weight in the last five years? And how many cars does this cover?

I personally can not remember ever having a wheel weight lost from a car I have owned and operated. Granted it is not something that I would make a special effort to remember. Which is why I specified five years as the time frame to consider. I am reasonably confident that I have not lost any wheel weights from any of the cars I have owed during the last five years.

The government sites with estimates on wheel weight loss did not provide how they made their estimates. I expect they did not do any analysis of the accuracy of their estimates, but did note that one of the sites revised their estimate from 5000 tons to 1600 tons. That is not something that makes me believe that a lot of effort was made to obtain an accurate estimate.

In short, I have more faith in my estimate than in one made by the EPA. If the EPA provided how they arrived at their estimate, I might change my mind.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

is 36 million.

then all the

I've thrown a few over the years. I know to mark the wheel when I balance them now.

Then there's the time my wife had a wheel weight fall on her head while watching an Indycar (then CART) race in Houston

Reply to
RBnDFW

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 07:49:02 +0700, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com scrawled the following:

is 36 million.

then all the

I've had one weight come off in about 40 years of driving. I think I know two other people who have had that happen to them, too. 3 in 120 years of driving? It's not as common as some people seem to think.

Hmm, do you think that the lead alarmists might be getting their data from the AGWK stats alarmist folks, like the CRU? That might answer the riddle.

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It would be a problem but with many possible solutions. One solution could be holding onto the sprue while the mold opens, then trim bullet from sprue. Other than that their are ejector pins, etc.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

I can remember losing (1) wheelweight in the aprox 8 million+ miles Ive driven in the past 35 yrs. And along with the wheel weight..I lost the entire front end of that red Rambler station wagon Id just bought..when I t-boned the Mustang in Gaylord Michigan in 1974.

And I picked it up.

Along with the piece of blown open COPPER brake line the seller had plumbed the car with.

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

After a trip to Makino for training, I lost the drivers side wheel when it departed from my 1991 Ranger 4x4. I'm sure it had a wheel weight. Never found tire, the balancing weights, or my Warns locking unit. If anyone needs one NIB locking unit (have to buy them as a pair) let me know.

If you ever lose a wheel at 70 mph and find yourself driving on your brake rotor, wait until you come to a complete stop after shifting in to neutral. Touching the brake pedal even at low speed puts one hell of a flat on your rotor. YKHIKT

Wes

Wes

Snow cover is a bit thick right now. Jog my mind after the spring thaw.

Wes

Wes

I have a Lee 102g rn mold. I've shot at least a thousand of those itty bitty bullets.

Wes

Wes

Copper tubing on the brakes? Damn, that's Premeditated Murder evidence there - car was rigged for a brake failure, anything that old was single circuit. Not If it fails, WHEN it fails.

Did you ever track down said seller and have a little discussion about his repair methods and materials selection? I wouldn't have been all that polite in the same situation.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Ferget the bullets! Just get my boat back in business!

Reply to
cavelamb

"There's talk of" By who? With what backing? Did you see the list of Dems who wrote Holder and said a new AWB was a non-starter?

"Talk of" is just another way of saying... NOTHING.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

I didnt..but the Michigan State Police sure did. As well as my insurance company.

I dont learn all the details..but they made it rather unpleasant for him.