OT: 45 ACP ammo

50-100 rds a year???? Blink blink...give them away at Holloween or something?

I shoot a couple hundred everytime I go to the range...which is about 2x a month or more.

Practice makes perfect..or at the very least..gives one a much larger chance of staying alive.

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

He'd get one faster if he bribed the bishop and ward president ... My family is almost all mormon , I'm one of the very few who escaped .

Reply to
Snag

What possessed you?

Reply to
Buerste

Assume you have old brass. 2.5 cent primer and buy 8 lb. kegs of powder. Of course you have to have a few hundred in equipment.

Reply to
Buerste

Does the steel pieces in the wheel weights float to the top when you melt it?

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Oh of course..as does the bits of rubber, armorall and all the other stuff that they may be coated with. So one simply melts them all, and with a nice large spoon, drilled with 1//8" holes..skims off the nasty stuff that float to the top.

Oh..dont bother with "tape weights". They dont melt for shit..and contaminate the mix. Simply weed through em and toss im aside.

and be sure to flux them well with each melt. beeswax is one of the most common fluxes. A pea sized dollop mixed into the pot brings up all sorts of nasties.

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Oh, you mean the 2010 elections when we restore some sanity to Congress.

Wes

Wes

Is 50-100 how much you shoot due to cost?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Once I made a ladle type of thing that I used to cast some muzzle loader balls. I took a piece of bar, bored a hole in off center to leave a thick wall on one side and a thin wall on the other side. I drilled a small hole at an angle from near the outer edge of the stock to the bottom of the larger bored hole. When tipped, this poured lead out of the small hole taking lead from the bottom of the ladle. I got the idea from self skimming ladles, I guess most of the bullet casting melters pour from the bottom also? If I remember correctly, battery lead isn't good for bullet casting?

A general rule for bullets, apply liberally :-)

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

I'm of a different political persuasion...

Apply conservatively.

Reply to
cavelamb

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 15:44:57 -0500, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

Yeah. If I shot much, I'd buy it and it'd be under a year for my ROI. For folks like Henry Bowman, the ROI would be, oh, a couple minutes. ;)

But if it's soon going to be illegal,

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 18:26:34 -0500, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

Parakeet doesn't seem to think that the mandated healthcare costs will cause yet another, greater, panic. He sure doesn't think ahead much, does he?

-- "I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that money can buy." --Tom Clancy

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I really think the plan is to drive private health insurance out of business.

My opposite thought is the liberals running the show have no grasp of economics.

Either one has the same result.

Wes

Wes

Some casters cast using a ladle from the top, others ..like myself are lazy and tend to use lever activated bottom pours. They both have things for and against them. Probably the best bullets are poured from properly heated, properly fluxed and clean lead via ladle. But the differences are small and only the purist really notices.

Battery lead..is exceptionally high in calcium and other stabilizing metals..and when they are used up...tend to be filled with a horrendous number of oxides and trace metals that really makes them worthless for bullet making. Melting them down is hard enough..and by the time you skim off all the crap that comes to the top..your pot is almost empty.

Crom knows Ive tried every possible way to melt down batteries. As have countless others...all futily.

It should also be noted..that pure lead..suitable for black powder guns..is pretty easy to cast good, well filled bullets through a wide range of heats.

Alloys..from wheel weights to #2 and other alloys..are far more touchy about their mix, their heats, their fluxes and how you cast them.

A well experienced caster can cast nearly anything..but beginners and the novice...need some assistance when casting even wheelweights when they first try, unless they read all the documents available and go about it systematically.

After having cast hummm...probably a half million bullets in 35 yrs...I find it boring as hell and tedious..mindless work that I can do virtually asleep. But...thats not true for new casters.

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Nope, money does not have anything to do with it, just time. Too many other priorities out there. I ride motorcycle...... allot! If the sun it shinning, and I am off the clock, I try to be riding somewhere. Not unusual for the missus and I to go for a 2-3 day run somewhere at the drop of a hat. I have ridden with Snag from this group on occasion, even though we live 1200+ miles apart. Greg O

Reply to
Greg O

"Snag" wrote

I'm also a son of perdition. I know lots of good people who follow the Mormon faith. It's just the scripture I disagree with.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

After you move something that heavy that many times, one day you just snap!

Sorry. I know better than that. There's always a use for things sometimes. I can understand how people hoard things. There's areas around my shop that I say, "Don't go out there." So, you toss it, then you need it very soon afterward. There's no winning.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve B

true.

But then neither do we...

Reply to
cavelamb

Can you cast .380?

If so, I'd like to try some of your shot.

Yeah, I know you consider it a sub-standard round. But it's what I've got...

can you?

Maybe ship along with my ship fitting.

And Yes, I'll shoot it.

Aw hell, Guns, I ain't no brighter than you...

Reply to
cavelamb