OT: 45 ACP ammo

Cool Greg.

We do that under sail...

Reply to
cavelamb

Always. My move to the country 6 months ago turned me into a minimalist, we filled a 40 yd dumpster with usable stuff that nobody wanted and that was after all the usual charities had their fill. The factory is a different matter all together.

Reply to
Buerste

Greg didn't mention that we both hang out over at rec.motorcycles.harley , aka The Virtual Bar & Grill . One newsgroup that really does carry over into our daily lives . Made a lot of good friends from there , including Greg and Annie .

Reply to
Snag

What is the reasoning behind that?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

They won't be illegal in California.

Under the settlement, Chrysler will end the use of factory-installed lead wheel weights in vehicles sold in California by July 31, 2009. In addition, wheel-weight producer Plombco Inc. of Canada will end shipments of lead wheel weights to California by the end of this year. Producers Perfect Equipment Inc. and Hennessey Industries, both based in LaVergne, Tenn., will stop shipments to California by the end of 2009.

"We are pleased that the court has approved settlement of this matter so that we can move forward with our aggressive plans to eliminate the use of lead wheel weights in our products," a Chrysler spokesman said. "By the end of this month, we expect that all of the vehicles we produce will be equipped with wheel weights made from alternate materials -- 11 months ahead of the schedule set in the settlement agreement in California."

Lead wheel weights have been under attack for several years by environmentalists. They were banned by the European Union in 2005 and are being phased out in Japan and Korea. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is sponsoring a voluntary initiative to reduce the use of lead wheel weights but has not banned them.

Goodyear and other big tire makers are already phasing them out, as are all the major automakers.

"For environmental reasons, this is the direction the industry is going," said a spokesman for Goodyear, which has 83 company-owned tire stores in California.

John R. Carroll

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 20:59:45 -0500, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

Both thoughts are probably 100% on target.

"So, has the shooting started yet?"

-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:02:42 -0800, the infamous "Steve B" scrawled the following:

You don't know about the extremely deadly substance known as "plumbium", sir? Lead is being phased out of everything known to man, especially in the Republik of Kalifornia.

Other known carcinogens and toxins include asbestos (95% of which is the non-"deadly" type), toluene, and silicone (Malibu Barbie now has to use saline implants.)

For more info on the OLD stuff, see:

I dunno about the newest ridicule coming from there. I moved out 7 years ago.

I got interested in the lead thing in CA and just did some research on the site. Their reports and research are mainly from 1976 (a few are as "recent" as a -decade- ago), but they just banned lead bullets in

2007. Unreal! Fracking liberals.

-- "I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that money can buy." --Tom Clancy

Reply to
Larry Jaques

MUST go to San Diego in a week to get on a cruise ship. Otherwise, I avoid the place completely. You want to wear rubber lined cotton gloves they have so many warning signs that everything you can touch, eat, or see will give you cancer. They need to fly airplanes around with banners saying, "DO NOT BREATHE. YOU EMIT CO2 AND THE AIR YOU INHALE WILL GIVE YOU CANCER."

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I enjoy automating boring and tedious, mindless work. Perhaps an air cylinder to open & close the mold, a solenoid for a plunger in the lead pot, and a couple of thermocouples or RTD's to measure temperature of lead and the mold. The program would probably consist of mostly timers and temperature controls, may take some tinkering to get it right but I should be pretty consistent, might need some adjustment from batches of different alloys. Maybe the mold could be designed to allow the sprue to be trimmed before removal, something like my lee round ball mold.

It would be nice to be able to feed it lead and let a bucket fill up with cast bullets! I wonder if the sizing, lubing, and installation of gas checks would be automation friendly? Perhaps help supply for the bullet shortage...

I bought some load cells on eBay that should be able to weigh to 0.1 grain, my intention is to make an automated powder scale similar to the RCBS. The load cells have a 200 Gram capacity and should be able to measure powder by lifting a cartridge, taring out, and dispensing to within 0.1 grain.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

So, painting the weights wasn't cost effective?

Wes

Wes

How would painting the weights prevent them from being ground up and dissolved into the water table? That, apparently, is what happens and is why the EU, Korea, Japan and others have banned them.

Anyway, it would seem that what Gunner posted - that they would be illegal A/O Jan. 1 - is a bunch of crap. What a surprise....

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Sadly so.

I'm not into that. We sure don't need another, cough, 'Civil War'.

Wes

Wes

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Sun, 27 Dec 2009 18:04:02 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

The "obvious" solution is to resmelt the lead. Treat the battery plates as high grade ore. OF course, that's easy for me to say. I dunno how to go about setting up. And I reckon folks might get testy, especially if you do this in suburbia. Not really the sort of thing you could do in the garage, knowwhatImeanVerne?

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Wes wrote:

Woops. I guess it's the law after all

Update: Governor Schwarzenegger signed this bill into law on October 12,

2009. The sale and installation of lead wheel weights are now banned in California.

LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL'S DIGEST

SB 757, Pavley. Lead wheel weights. Under existing law, the Department of Toxic Substances Control is responsible for administering various programs to control the release of toxic substances into the soil and groundwater. Existing law requires, on or before January 1, 2011, the department to adopt regulations to establish a process to identify and prioritize chemicals or chemical ingredients in consumer products that may be considered as being a chemical of concern, as prescribed, and to establish a process for evaluating chemicals of concern in consumer products, and their potential alternatives, to determine how best to limit exposure or to reduce the level of hazard posed by a chemical of concern. Existing law also establishes the Hazardous Waste Control Account to be used as specified by the department, upon appropriation by the Legislature. This bill would prohibit the manufacture, sale, or installation in California of a wheel weight that contains more than 0.1% lead. The bill would provide for injunctive relief, as well as civil and administrative penalties for violation of that provision, as specified. The bill requires all civil and administrative fines collected to be deposited in the Hazardous Waste Control Account for expenditure by the department, upon appropriation by the Legislature, to implement and enforce the act. This bill would also specify that if the department identifies an alternative to lead contained in wheel weights as a chemical of concern, then the lead alternative would remain subject to the evaluation process, as prescribed, to determine how best to limit exposure or to reduce the level of hazard posed by the lead alternative.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Ground up? Recycled yes.

Smelters and flaking lead paint seems like a major source.

I wonder how long it will take for RoHS type laws to outlaw bullets?

Wes

Wes

With Diebold electronic voting. Who decides elections? Voters, or computer programers?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Estimates show that 500,000 pounds of lead is released into California's environment annually from wheel weights that fall off of vehicles. Lead from wheel weights can also be tracked into people's homes, especially those who live near busy streets. Wheel weights can be made of other materials (for example, steel and zinc), and lead has been banned in wheel weights in the European Union since 2005."

Were #500,000 of lead to end up in the water supply here the same way wheel weights do, the problem won't be bullets affecting the drinking water.

California is an important agricultural resource for the US, Wes. We export billions of dollars of food every year so water quality is important to us.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Something seems wrong with that number. A 3 oz weight is huge and < 1 oz seems to be normal in my experience.

So for a given vehicle there could be 4 to 12 oz of weight. The population is

36 million.

Total number of cars, trucks, semis 243M for the US

Say 24.3M based on percentage of population and for that figure to be true, then all the wheelweights on 2.7 to 8.2% of california vehicles fall off each year.

Seems a bit fancifull to me.

Wes

Wes

36 million.

Is that allowed?

Hey!

Are we allowed to do that anymore?

Thinking!

Shame on you, Wes!

Reply to
cavelamb

You are aware that one out of 2 bullets tend to stick in the mould cavity...right?

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch