OT Armorgrabbing Greeks and Trojans

So I've been reading the Iliad and these guys are at least as interested in grabbing each other's armor as they are in fighting and I'm wondering why.

Economics? Did this armor have such value that they'd risk their lives (and the lives of their comrades, by taking a time out in the middle of battle) to pilfer the stuff? It doesn't seem that they're pilfering only better armor than they have, I'm remembering little or no mention of that except maybe Hector wearing Achilles' armor, and I think that was just for spite.

Honor/dishonor? I can understand that, but it sure seems like a great risk to allow the real bad ass to monkey around like that.. the more successful a man is, the more time-outs he takes to harvest armor..

One thing for sure; if Homer only exaggerated, say, 500% then those guys were Real Men.

John

Reply to
JohnM

EdFielder

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Thanks Ed and Karl, that makes good sense. I suppose if the guy is rich already he'll have followers who would appreciate some good armor as part of their plunder.

Re; riveted mail rings, yeah, that's some serious fine work. I figure it wasn't so hard for 8-year old kids to do, they got some good eyesight and coordination.

I sure am glad I wasn't born in the old days, either Classical Greece or Medievel Europe.. It's all very interesting, but seeing it from the distance I do is enough for me..

John

Reply to
JohnM

Remember, the Greeks and Trojans were wearing Bronze armor, not steel, and using bronze blades. Bronze was (and is) a very expensive metal because it used the exotic metal Tin as part of it's makeup. Only sources were a small amount in Turkey and major deposits in Ireland, Wales, and southern Britain. Even in Greek times, the Phoenicians were exporting Tin from the British Isles, which was a heck of voyage for ships not much bigger than a normal day sailer these days. The hunt for tin is thought to be what drove the development of commercial trading in Western Europe.

Those Homeric heroes were wearing the worth of 10 healthy slaves or a good sized farm on their backs. If they could claim one of those, the average foot soldier was set for life.

Even more recently scavenging battles was a major source of wealth. The steel scavenged from Waterloo was the basis of new industrial production in Belgium (not to mention the "scrap metal" German weaponry that was the basis of Israel's war for independence).

Reply to
Jim McGill

That helps a lot.. I wasn't considering the value of the metal itself, just the added value of turning it into armor.

John

Reply to
JohnM