OT- Shaping Machines

Bit OT, but considering this forum as a font of all information useful.....Does anyone have any info on shaping machines? I've just bought one and I'm looking for some hints/reading matter etc.

Thanks & Regards

Dan

PS - I also got some big BSP dies up to 3" but I know how to use them ;-)

Reply to
Dan Howden

Dan, Try this site

gives all sorts of useful information about all sorts of metal cutting machines.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Dan --

There are a couple of Shaping Machine books out there, at least one by MAP, & an old one by Percival Marshall. Newnes Complete Engineer also covers shapers -- & everything else.

What did you get? I have an old hand-pumped Adept no.1.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Osborne

Thanks to all for the info on and off-list. It's an ALBA 1A, with 10" stroke. Needs a motor but 1hp at 960rpm won't be hard to find, otherwise in excellent used nick. Just need to shuffle everything even closer together in the machine shop so it will fit in...

I'll try and get some pics on the website this evening if I can get it to work.

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Camden Miniature Steam Services list a couple of books on shaping machines -

My machine is a Boxford 8" - provided you can get a good grip on the workpiece, it is capable of producing a lovely flat surface - superior in every way to a milled or flycut surface.

In message , Dan Howden writes

Reply to
John Ambler