OT- Blood pressure monitors?

What ever model you decide on have your wife take it with her next time she sees her doctor. Her doctor will make sure that she is using it correctly and that it gives accurate readings.

Bad Bob

Reply to
Bad Bob

Scary stuff. I hope that you two have a good long life together.

Ignoramus4468

Try something like an Omron HEM-608. It's about 3" square and runs for months on two AAA cells. Small enough to drop into her purse. It's a wrist band. Just slip it around the wrist and press the "ON" and then "Start" buttons and read the answer. I've seen them used at a local nursing home, so I would assume the accurach is reasnoable.

Reply to
keith bowers

The one my wife uses is an Omron HEM-712C. It's an auto-inflating cuff type. Her doctor approved of it and she doesn't have any trouble using it and that's saying something. She has absolutely no mechanical aptitude. The woman doesn't even know which end of a screwdriver you're supposed to beat on.

Richard Coke

Reply to
Richard Coke

That doesn't seem like a bad height to weight ratio. Mine was 152/126 if you put me in a dark room and make me lie down for 20 mins. it comes out below normal.

My wife is going to be close to the level of Gunner's situation soon. She has something like progressive psoriatic arthritis and 38 yrs. old. The other day I was asked to put her socks on , and not long ago she had to have her wedding ring cut off by the doctor.

As to Gunner's post below this , Hmmm fathers side... From my mothers' side I'll kick from a heart attack under 60. From my dads' side I'll end up like Reagan past 70 or more likely murdered under

  1. As long as I don't go by my fear of kicking while in a swimming pool with no water in it , I guess anything else would be fine by me as long as its quick.

Won't have to worry with numbers like that , about going slow that is.

Reply to
Sunworshiper

It was 30 yrs Oct 30. (on and off..mostly on)

Gunner

Some may decry the impeachment of William Jefferson Clinton as a national trauma, but not humorist P.J. O'Rourke, who thinks the proceedings are a win-win situation

-- and grand entertainment to boot. Mr. O'Rourke, writing in the latest issue of the Weekly Standard, acknowledges that "some earnest souls have gone so far as to aver that impeachment has distracted President Clinton from ... raising taxes, destroying health care, appointing 1960s bakeheads to high political office, soliciting felonious campaign contributions, hanging friends out to dry for Arkansas real estate frauds, giving missile secrets to the Chinese, taking credit for the benefits of a free market about which he knows little and cares less, using U.S. military forces as fig leaves for domestic scandals and au pairs for the U.N., leading foreign policy back into the flea circus of Jimmy Carterism, having phone sex, groping patronage seekers, and snapping the elastic on the underpants of psychologically disturbed school-age White House interns entrusted with the task of delivering high-level government pizza." Ouch. Tell us what you really think, P.J. "No matter what, Bill," Mr.O'Rourke concludes, "your girlfriend's ugly, your wife hates you, and your dog can't hunt."

Gunner

Alcohol is well known to keep arteries clean

Reply to
Nick Hull

Ive suggested some rich red wine daily, but she doesnt like the taste and is afraid it might interact with her meds. You can lead a horse to water....shrug

[...]

Many people develop high blood pressure AT the doctor's office.

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

LOL .... And I was about to suggest that she not use it with Gunner in the area. But I think they already had that covered as she is to use it alone ....

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

helpful,

HTH

Someone copy this post so that Gunner cannot claim he did not see it .

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

I don't particularly like the taste either, but it's usually possible to find some alcoholic product whose taste is at least acceptable. If you take it *between* med times interaction is minimized. If you invent a "piece of choclate + wine" therapy it might go down.

Reply to
Nick Hull

| >Alcohol is well known to keep arteries clean | | Ive suggested some rich red wine daily, but she doesnt like the taste | and is afraid it might interact with her meds. You can lead a horse | to water....shrug | | Gunner |

Since she's taking coumadin, you should check with her physician before trying to talk her into wine. A glass daily /may/ be OK but you should check first. Coumadin interacts with almost everything.

TK

Reply to
TDKozan

| | wrote: | | | | | | | >Alcohol is well known to keep arteries clean | | | | Ive suggested some rich red wine daily, but she doesnt like the taste | | and is afraid it might interact with her meds. You can lead a horse | | to water....shrug | | | | Gunner | | | | Since she's taking coumadin, you should check with her physician before | trying to talk her into wine. A glass daily /may/ be OK but you should | check first. Coumadin interacts with almost everything. | | TK | | | -- | | Cogito ergo Bibo

From what the jungle drums are saying, garlic and asperin are good. bb |

Reply to
bookburn

Warferin.. err.. Coumadin and asprin are both blood thinners, If you're on Coumadin, you should talk to either a doctor or, preferably, a pharmacist, about interactions with ANYTHING else you're taking medicinally. Even Grapefruit juice. Garlic is a vermifage, I wouldn't eat that in mega-doses without advice, either.

Reply to
default

Vermifuge. I don't quite see why any are concerned about Gunner's worms.

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

the most accurate are the mercury ones try to at least ca;ibrate your intrument against it take you bp at least 5 times and average the results sounds like yoiur wife is at high risk for cardiac evernts--are you by any chance stressing her?

Reply to
ilaboo

once agin be careful here--make sure the md uses a mercury one and compares the readings to it might be a good placwe to calibrate the store baught one--

Reply to
ilaboo

My mom uses a OMRON HEM-704C and says it's as accurate as the doctor's office (they checked it there). She likes it for travel because the lid holds the cup and everything is protected. It's rather large for a purse. Uses it twice a day and can't remember the last battery replacement though likely 6-12 months. She said the wrist and finger units aren't as accurate, but it's also been a while since she was shopping for one.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I had one of those Omron automatics. Maybe it was just mine, but after a few months it was inaccurate as hell. I wound up throwing it away. I would never buy another cheap digital automatic BP meter. Now I just go to my local fire station. The guys are great and they are *good*. They give me a log which I keep in my wallet. If I were going to get another unit I'd get one like my mom (an MD) had -- one of the old mercury ones.

Just my 2¢ worth ..

Grant

Joel Corwith wrote:

Reply to