OT can an adult learn skateboarding

I have to admit to having almost never ridden a skateboard, certainly I am a complete novice. My older kid started to learn it and I am wondering, can an adult pick that skill up or is it too late.

A related question is what skateboard would be good for an adult sized beginner. I just want it to be easy to use.

Ignoramus4078

Got superior health insurance?

Reply to
Buerste

It is relatively decent, yes.

Ignoramus4078

I tried my son's, around 12 years ago (I was 50). I had been a tolerable surfer in my youth, and I think I could still do it -- but the skateboard would have killed me if I didn't give up after about an hour of trying.

It's harder than it looks. So is the pavement. Talk to the oldest guy in a skateboard shop and see what kind of armor he recommends.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I don't think it's a good idea to play around with pavement in your 50's and beyond. Snow is plenty hard enough for me at high speed on a board, and sometimes water is a little too hard if I hit it the wrong way. WRT what skateboard would be good, I can't ride a skateboard but learned the street surfer camber wheel type and can go down the street at least on a long board, which are much easier to cruise on.

Reply to
ATP

Sure you can do it. It'll probably take you much longer to learn than the kid. And your bones break much easier than his and will take a lot longer to heal. Art

Reply to
Artemus

I'm sure one can. I use to ride skateboards and unicycles, even ones with chains. I'm just under 50 and would ride the unicycle, but not get on another skateboard. They are tricky, one slip of the mind and you are on the ground. Last time that I rode one back in the 80's something happened and I landed on my ass with a pair of channel locks in my back pocket. I could hardly move and then almost go run over by a car in the parking lot, people just don't seem to watch down low. On a side note, this has always seemed strange to me cause when I drive I watch the other vehicles tires cause it shows the most about other drivers. Anyhow, after that event I have never touched another skateboard.

I strongly recommend that you just watch and try try to instill in your kid to never do the crazy stuff these other completely insane yuts do.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Blanket and pillows?

Ignoramus4078

Well, I am 39, hopefully not yet in the brittle bone age.

Ignoramus4078

Possibly, but I guarantee you can learn the art of bone fracture! You are younger than me, but your bones will definitely break more easily than someone half your age. Take the protective gear seriously. A fractured wrist is supposed to be a REALLY common injury for the older crowd, ie. those over 20, and you can only imagine how much that would cramp your programming or machining style.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Yes you can learn. And its fairly easy if you have good reactions and a well tuned sense of balance. Move easy..not quickly until you get the hang of it. If yo are naturally agile..you will catch on quickly. If you arent..it will take a day or two.

I STRONGLY recommend a helmet, gloves, knee and elbow pads. Rollerblade gear.

You are not 15 anymore and smashing your elbow/knee/skull on the asphalt will crack, chip or break something that takes a while to heal. Protective padding worn properly will only allow you to hurt your ego, not your bones.

Gunner, 56, who can still boogie on a board, or rollerblade around town

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I actually still heal very quickly.

But thanks.

Ignoramus4078

I will try to take it easy, no point in setting records, as there is no one to impress.

Ignoramus4078

I'd think rollerblade wrist protectors too.

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Not from a closed head injury. At least wear a helmet if not all the other gear Gunner recommended.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I cant speak for where Iggy lives..but protective gear of adult size is commonly available at just about any second hand store here in California. One can dress out completely for less than $10.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Indeed.

I put on my gear and roller blades 6 months after my heart surgery. Wrist protectors are manditory when learning.

We dont bend and twist as well as we did when we were 10.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

?? I thought you served in Nam. You're too young.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

It's hard-shell knee and elbow guards, and a bicycle helmet. Prayer helps, too. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Think again. I went in when I was 17. The birth cert said I was 20.

Mom and Dad were big anti-war people. They wouldnt sign. So I took an alternative route. I was 6' 3" and had been cutting pulp wood for a few years as a side job..so I was big enough.

Shrug

I wanted OUT of the little town I graduated highschool from. And growing up poor..there was no college on my horizon. Just small town jobs that didnt pay the bills. And I wanted to get married. Beautiful little girl, we loved each other very much. And I DIDNT want to be a pulp cutter!!!

So I pulled a name off a tombstone, got a birth cert..joined up. Thought I was going to be a wireman...that got.."changed for the good of the service".....

2 weeks before my DROS date..I got called in from the bush and the CO and a chaplin were waiting for me

The lady I was going home to marry, had been killed by a drunk driver.

So I went home and buried her, instead of marrying her..and went back to taking long walks in the woods and meeting interesting people..

Shug..by that time..the war was winding down, not a lot of people wanted to go to Vietnam, least of all the second time. Reinlisted, was back in country in less than 2 weeks. 9 days as I recall..

I think I had "viking funeral" beating on the walls in the back of my skull. I wasnt wrapped all that tight..hummm...or maybe wrapped extra tight..,..the second time around. Went, saw, did My "actual" MOS was 11B-4..so they had need of my skills and Id picked up speaking some gook from my 'hoi the first time around, could eat nuc mam with the best of em. Did some interesting Stuff for the guys with the Swedish Ks and the bush jackets the first time I was there..the bastards...and they were more than happy to see me the second time around. Put me right back to work. Got my 'hoi back too.

Shrug...just another warm body in the Green Machine. Got a ding in the head 3 months after I was SUPPOSED to go home in 73..hell...after nearly everyone else had already gone home,..my 'hoi dragged me 5 clicks to an Arvin firebase, got a free helicopter someplace where they plugged up the holes, got another free ride to Honsu Japan and some skull surgery where they took out the metal and plugged the holes in my skull, then on to Letterman, where I was finally able to walk and see again. Took medical leave..grabbed a MARS flight and did a walkabout of Britian, parts of Europe, Finland to see my Old Country relations, , the border nations..parts of Russia..shrug...came home, became an outlaw biker..bailed out in less than a month, ....out before I did something stupid and criminal, went to Africa as a "security guard" for 6months on a reference from a spook Id known..didnt care for that at ALL, came home again... put on my birth persona and went to work in the oil fields as a lovable harmless fuzzball ...the rest is history. Some good, some bad. Became a cop, quit being a cop, did lots of Stuff since then. Old history. Shrug.

I got out of Letterman at the age of 90 or so. Europe brought me down to being a nice young man..shrug..and Ive gotten older naturally since then. Well..there was Africa..but...I was mostly "Young"

Im going to celebrate my 90th..twice!!! WHEEE!!!

Gunner Chie'n dich Phung Hoang Sat Moi!! Sua Sponte!

1971-1973