OT can an adult learn skateboarding

Same here. I was a decent skiier and surfer as a teenager, but found skateboarding awkward. And mistakes hurt more.

But I have taken up surfing again this summer after a 35 year break.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Ive got a copy of his birth cert tucked away at my dads place. Im pretty sure, though its been...hum...30 yrs since I looked in the footlocker. No need. That portion of my life is long, long, long over.

It was much easier in those days to establish alternative ID than it is today, though it is still possible. In fact..I have, quite legally, 3 other packages of ID, all in different names etc etc, that I keep current. All quite legal, as Im sure you know.

Someday..one might have/want/need to take off into the wild blue yonder.

The only hard part is fingerprints. Shrug

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

That means you're missing out on VA medical care. Top shelf in this part of the country. There's a pecking order of sorts to VA benefits. If you're a veteran of a war and have a purple heart or two they cover almost everything.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Just a little update, I practiced skateboarding for about 2 hours. First just standing on one the board still for a while, then barely riding down a super gentle slope, then down my driveway (not all the way).

I am sure that I I looked ridiculous, but I still would look ridiculous even if I had passable skateboarding skills. But it is like any other balance sport, just takes some getting used to and some patience. I did it on my son's skateboard, but since I liked I bought my own online.

Ignoramus24925

x?}TËnÛ0¼ë+öÔ\7EÑm??Ñ?Fz¦¥µD?â*?ý}?²ÆIPl>fgfwTU?ZË?FãÏ?¿}ÓÚõÓ/­?jVs>??ß,?Ö?Ç,vÝæéð?F?h#ÉGz÷éÃ9À6???\Ëôñ?}µÎ?KË?ék¶%ó!,h?LÛ3H¸? ´íiôÖaсÔE¢èz^ú¶³/ÏQi?V?Õ2L$[ê

Reply to
Steve W.

He aint kidding Iggy. Y'know how your ankle swells when you injure it. The brain does the same thing except it doesn't have any place to expand except down the hole where the spinal cord comes out. Guess what's down there at the base of the brain where the cord exits - the part that controls breathing and the heart. It gets squished by the swelling and stops functioning - potentially within minutes if it's severe enough. Don't even need a skull fracture; just shake the brain hard enough.

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Yes, I am. As has been discussed with several individuals, including the VA.

That rather surprising $250k medical bill brought it to mind and Ive put some feelers out.

The VA claims its doable, but may take a few years.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

DID you wear proper protection?

If not...better order it online or shag your ass over to the second hand stores.

Or you will look far worse than I did when they cut my heart out for 4.5 hours

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

No, I did not wear proper protection.

And try to guess how I became a father of two kids.

I will try to find some kind of a helmet.

Ignoramus24925

That just put your wife off her feed for 18 months. It could be a life time for you.

Shrug.

And elbow pads, knee pads and wrist protectors.

Once you get the hang of it..you can go naked..but while your learning......

Think of your body as a machine tool. A very very expensive and very complicated 6 axis milling machine. And you just got it.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

"Gunner Asch" wrote

And now with AFIS, even tougher.

Steve

read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at:

Steve B

My sis and I are still working two years later to get my father's medals, several distinguished service medals and crosses, and some others. When they sent us the copied documents, all of them had singe marks on them. We got lucky. Now if we can only get them off their asses.

Anyone know how to speed up this process?

Steve

read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at:

Steve B

Some of those damaged documents have been recovered and returned to the arcives in the last few years. If he hasn't requested them in the last couple years, he should try again. A DOD database of names is availible on the Military.com website. He should check to see if his name, rank and MOS turn up.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gunner, the best way to deal with the VA is through a Sevice Officer at a DAV post. If needed, they provide legal services to the applicant. Using fake records to enlist was common in W.W.II, Korea and Vietnam. From what I've heard, some enlistment officers gave instructions on how to do it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Know any Congresscritters very well?

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Its quite legal to call yourself Queen of the May. One cant do it though to commit crimes, fraud etc etc. One doesnt even need to go to court to have ones name changed.

Shrug

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Ayup. Im aware of several guys who went in young, or went in on a run from the law and served with distinction.

Its not been of any concern to me for all these years and I seldom even think about it. Shrug

Hell..the spooks didnt care, once they found out and did a check on me.

When I came home, I was lean, mean, rough, tough and nobody to f*ck with..and when I put my old name back on...I had to think like the original model. Harder than one thinks actually.

Let my hair grow out, then one day went into the barber and had it cut off. Been short haired ever since. I was in the barber shop with a buddy, who had no idea Id been in..and the barber asked "how long you been home?" (old vet seen em all) and I told him Id been a hippie living in California for a few years. He looked at me..quirked his eye..glanced over at the kid I was with...got a very small smile and looked me right in the eye and said "welcome home".

He was my barber for a couple years after than, before I went on the road.

Dead now. He had done Normandy in the first wave. Quite a guy.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Yes.

DON'T try to do it yourself. You would be dealing with the federal bureaucracy at it's best.

That path leads to frustration, anger, and abuse of small animals.

Contact one of the representative agencies. DAV, or better yet, if in Texas, contact the local Texas Veterans Commission

Reply to
CaveLamb

It WILL take a few years.

The system is designed to be that way.

All along the way there are traps for the unwary.

1) DON'T try to do it yourself. Not Possible. Get a representative agency like DAV and have them do it. You sign a power of attorney, and they take it from there.

2) If your claim is valid (AND HAS DOCUMENTATION TO PROVE IT) you will receive a low percentage rating (in about a year).

At that time you have 30 days to protest the rating.

If you protest that rating (within 30 days!) then the next rating percentage (in about a year) will backdate to the original claim date.

Back pay will be paid back to the date of the first claim - each time you get an increase in rating - IF you protest the rating within 30 days - every time.

If you don't then come back later for an increase, it's basically a new claim, dated starting them. Oopsie!

Generally they like to go 10%, 30%, 50%, 75%, and finally 100%. So figure it taking 4 or 5 years.

Reply to
CaveLamb

Don't tempt me. We have a hurricane coming in two or three days. I used to

*love* hurricanes.
Reply to
Ed Huntress