OT can an adult learn skateboarding

Shit...was supposed to be an email

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

So you have a DD-214?

Ignoramus24925

Well if you have good balance, coordination and pain tolerance than have at it...

Size wise I would opt for a LARGE board, say surfboard sized. Then when you fall you have a chance of landing on a padded surface...

Reply to
Steve W.

Thought you said you were an ADULT ;-)

Reply to
Steve W.

damn. I never heard of anybody that WANTED to go in 1970.

Guy I knew landed in country 9 Feb. '68. Had his own body bag 16 Feb. '68. Remember what was happening then? No more voluntary enlistments in my part of the world after that.

Karl - drew #312 in the lottery - Townsend

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Don't know about skateboarding, but I am a pretty proficient ice skater. I tried roller blading a few years back, and it scared the crap out of me. Fall on ice and you slide. Fall on pavement and you leave skin behind.

I would suggest, if you're going to go ahead with this, a helmet, wrist elbow and knee pads (all available as a set from any skate shop). And, by all means, be prepared to look silly. It's no where near as easy as it looks - I know this from a few of the neighborhood kids who are all excellent ice and roller skaters and have tried their hand (or foot) at skate boarding. One of them has an interesting device - a two-wheeled contraption called a wave board. It goes amazingly fast and is very maneuverable, and it loooks easy enough to build.

Good luck.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Go for it! (knee pads, elbow pads and a helmet)

Reply to
Buerste

wrist guards and gloves, too.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Of course not. It was all secret noises in his head.

Reply to
rangerssuck

If you ever surfed or skied, yeah, it's a piece of cake.

If you have good balance, yes, easily. Not that you'll be doing the loops and wild shit kids can do nowadays, but you can board.

Boating and water skiing are much safer, though.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have learned a few things from my many heart procedures and 8.5 hour heart surgery. One of them is that some things are just not worth doing any more because the risks outweigh the benefits. Anyone can learn to skateboard, but that might just involve going down the sidewalk for a short distance. To learn all the tricks and get really good at it, you need to practice, and that means falling a lot. If you talk to any skateboarder about their injuries, they will undoubtedly list several, but they are in a situation where they are living with mommy and daddy, and aren't even paying their own health insurance. So what if they have to take a couple of weeks off or a couple of months off to recover. They don't have a job anyway.

I have hung up some of my equipment, the most recent, and the hardest to do was my new K2 skis and Dalbello boots that had been skiied once.

So, yes, you can learn to skateboard, but with someone as active as you, I think the downtime would drive you crazy, and if you could not lift or work with an arm for three weeks or three months, you'd quickly arrive at the most obvious answer.

It's not worth it. And besides. Yeah, the kids will think it's cool for someone's Pops to be out there skateboarding, but you might as well to in and put on the orange duck suit, because you are going to be odd man out. They will tolerate you a little, but you'll never be "cool". Or is that "kewl?" There has been attempts for older skateboard groups, but they could never have enough members who were out of their casts at the same time to have a meet.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

I'm still not over my tbi from Oct. 2004.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

I've done quite a bit of both, and I don't think it's a piece of cake.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I am not looking to performing any feats worthy of YouTube, etc. I would say, nothing where all wheels are in the air simultaneously. Just riding around and such. I would not try to look cool in front of skateboard savvy kids, and I have generally been careful.

A skate board is a whole new way of balancing and it just needs to be learned. (or maybe I cannot learn it, boo hoo)

Ignoramus24925

There is no reason to ride a standard length skateboard if you don't want to do ollies, etc.. For riding around, a nice bamboo longboard will get you around in style.

Reply to
ATP

It would have the tombstone guy's name on it.

Reply to
ATP

Of course I do. However its not in my "actual" name. And its tucked neatly in a footlocker sitting in a cabinet in my dads basement.

Was there any further questions you feel like asking?

And yes..Ive made inquiries to the VA about the situation. They have been helpful.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

  1. When you are young, poor, and live in a rural county and have little choices about employment..one does what one does to try to change that. I figured the GI Bill would cover my education and when I got out..I did sign for wireman school, (telephone guy)....but things changed..and I was all pride, nads and sure of myself....so didnt think things through very well. Something Ive been guilty of more than once.

It was not one of my best decisions, but not one of the worst either. On the other hand....it did change my life far far longer and farther than I ever imagined it would. And certainly took it in some very strange directions.

There but for the grace of God.....

older brother of a buddy of mine, about 68 or 69, got off the plane, got on a bus, was blown up within 1/4 mile of the air base, was tucked right back on that same plane and flown to Japan Total time in country..about

2 hours. He ultimately lost a leg. Shrug....some people have good luck, some bad. Im still very much undecided as to what kind of luck Mike had. He retired a couple years ago, after nearly 30 years selling insurance. Did quite well for himself.

Shrug.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

It certainly did. The "guy" was born in 1950 and died in 1950, age 6 weeks.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

But, still, you have the actual form with that guy's name, right?

Ignoramus24925