OT: Ceiling fan wiring

I am trying to fix my widowed neighbor's broken ceiling fan. I think it is a Hampton Bay since it was purchased at Home Depot about 15 years ago. The fan had been running on high speed only. Her useless grandson removed the 3-speed pull chain switch, thinking it was bad and now has lost the switch. There is no light involved. I went to Home Depot seeking info, but they were no help at all. Hampton Bay apparently doesn't have a separate website as I believe it is a Home Depot house brand

In the switch housing are the following items:

  1. 3-speed pull chain fan switch(now missing)
  2. DPDT slide switch for reversing fan rotation(already wired up)
  3. 2-wire Capacitor(already wired up)

The 7 wires coming down into the housing from the motor are:

2 black, 2 white, 1 orange, 1 yellow, 1 brown

I'm guessing 1 black-white pair is for a light(not used) and the other is motor power. That leaves 5 wires for the switch. I need the wiring diagram and specify the type of switch required since I know there are several kinds of switch. I would be happy to pay for copying and postage if you cannot email the info. Thank you.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

HD carries those 3-spd switches. Maybe it will have a wiring diagram.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

(Snip)

From

Hunter White All Fan Remote Control The All-Fan features separate buttons for 3 speeds, plus instant "off". It also includes full-range light dimming (300 watt) and a unique switch plate holder included. This unit works on all makes of fans and the receiver fits inside of the fan canopy.

Internet/Catalog # 162276 Store SKU# 799282 Price: $39.97/ea

Reply to
Winston

There are 8 wires instead of 7. Add 1 Blue to the list

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

That was the first place I went The replacement switches don't include a schematic. The directions say to install the new one like the existing one( which I don't have).

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

I installed one about 2 months ago but don't have access to it. Since you've got high speed now I'd buy a fan dimmer at Home Depot and put it in place of the wall switch, which happens to be what we actually did in this case. Fun part: we tested the fan and it barely spun. We ran the wall switch up and down and still barely blows. Then we think "wait a minute what speed is the fan itself on?" Presto problem solved. It was a really long minute or less wondering if we had to pull the fan and exchange it. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Try this.

omans/instructions_3s_w4_w8.pdf