OT - Chicago politics

You've got to hand it to Chicago. Not only is it so corrupt that nobody dares fight the corruption for fear of becoming part of the aggregate in a concrete building foundation, but even the sportswriters are driven to paroxysms of disgust and flights of literary acrobatics. From the Sun-Times today:

"The City of Chicago, led by Mayor Daley and a vast and tumorous army of aldermen and bagmen and yesmen and opportunists and spineless, parasitic political-machine halfwits of forms never seen outside the roiling cesspool of governmental slop-trough greed, has proven itself unworthy of something as potentially delicious and fulfilling as the 2016 Olympic Games..."

It's an entertaining read.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I did time in Chicago under Dailey the 1rst. Looks like things haven't changed. At least all the folks I knew back then that have passed on still get to vote

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 01:59:39 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress" scrawled the following:

VERY! Any word on the legbreakers visiting Rick yet?

I adore your quoted paragraph. It's what comes to mind when I think of CONgresscritters, or gov't in general.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I thought you'd like that. And keep in mind, that's what they put on the

*sports pages* in Chicago.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You guys don't know the half of it.

Our politicos have been like this for so long, that they think this is how you're supposed to do it.

They keep indicting them and they still can't keep their hands out of the cookie jar. It's like telling someone to stop whipping their dog.

You see them on the news and they all have a look on their face that says, "That's how you run a city. You federal guys are keepin' me from doin' my job!"

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Louis Ohland

But we're too wise to elect products of ChiTown politics to national office.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

I'm more inclined to believe we recognized that a politician who was fire-formed in that furnace is tough enough to deal with almost anything, despite a relative lack of experience. And anyone who can survive it without being sucked into its vortex must be one hell of a sharp guy.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Seen the lack of experience, still waiting on signs of toughness.

He's not stupid like most of the political Illionnoyances, and certainly sharp enough to not be caught at the typical petty theft all too common down there. I wish I could take him as seriously as he does himself. Probably won't be as damaging as Nixon or Clinton.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

I doubt if anyone here really knows the full game plan of this administration. Long-time observers of the White House are repeatedly remarking with surprise about how things keep unfolding in surprising and very smart ways.

Ask the Israelis. Their newspapers today pretty much concede that he's just put Bibi into a sealed box. Bush, Clinton, Reagan...they all just folded their hands rather than provoke the pro-Israel lobby.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Smart? Suprising for sure. How the UAW got a head of bond holders, that was a suprise to them.

Banks not being able to repay tarp funds and go on with their business, another suprise.

Talks of taxing employee provided health care as income is a suprise. On that one if they expect the employer to pay half of the SSI and Medicare (cough cough mearly an illusion) that is going to go over well. Raise someones income by 12K, hit them with federal income tax indexing and that 14%+ combined SSI and Medicare tax which will be passed down in some form and that isn't going to be a winner.

Now if they wanted to make the self employed able to get the same tax benefit that someone with employeer provided insurance gets, that would be perfectly fine with me. Fair is fair.

With Rahm Emanuel as chief of staff, I'm supprised how this is going. I've heard he was in the IDF but wiki said he was a civilian volunteer repairing military trucks. I need to look more into that since it doesn't track with what I've read and heard.

Anyway, son of a Zionist, siding with a President that doesn't seem to be pro Israel, that is an interesting item to keep my eye on.

Btw, the book came in. Too late to mail it out to you since the counter had closed. I'll try to get it out to you Monday, I'm working tomorrow.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 11:35:12 -0500, the infamous "David R.Birch" scrawled the following:

When I sent Ed's link to my gov't buddy in D.C., he came back with this:

"It's interesting that the writer points out how dirty Chicago politics is, and how the Chicago political machine has pushed foisted many bad programs on the unsuspecting (or effectively powerless) public, without once mentioning Obama's name or presidency.

There are no coincidences in politics..."

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 13:02:35 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress" scrawled the following:

Ed, are you still as gung ho on Obama as you were in November? Have you seen any stumbling or miscues yet?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sure.

Of course. Only a coward or a dunderhead *wouldn't* make mistakes when trying to fix the nearly impossible litany of stupidities that he walked into. If you don't make mistakes, you either are too cowardly to try, or too stupid to understand why it's necessary to do so.

Henninger's column isn't called "Wonder Land" for nothing.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress