OT: clone a hard drive

With XP, simply mirror the drives. To keep a "virgin" clone, simply break the mirror and keep the second drive.

Another method is to use XXCOPY to clone the drive. Works a heck of a lot better than Norton Ghost - which is a genuine pain in the tush. Another solution is "partition Magic" - but the free XXCOPY is easier to use and just as good.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

No, you can do it ten times.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

No, all except SOME OEM and CORPORATE or MOLP licences require authorization. They require re-authorization if more than six? items are changed, and can be re-authorized 10 times.

This is why I do NOT recommend doing a clean install every time you get a bad virus infestation.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

I got it - used it - what I think it is a little behind the facts. It doesn't know DVD disks for anything. Put in a CD and it works. It just takes a handful of CD's.

Backing up a 200G or 100G disk now-a-days is a mean task.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to
william_b_noble

Dear G-d...why would you intentionally inflect ME on yourself?

Gunner

Gunner

Reply to
jasonrnorth

You are one of the exceedingly rare satisfied users then.

A simple google of ME + comments will teach you anglo-saxon adjectives you may never have heard before

Gunner

Gunner

And if you have a lot of problems and keep reinstalling XP, eventually, it won't register at all. Then you get to call tech support (which sounds like it too is in India.) and get a new number.

Bozhimoi.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Naah, I've been working in IT for 25 years, I don't think there are any new ones. A few verbs surprise me from time to time, but the adjectives really don't change; just the target of them shifts.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:30:11 GMT, the inscrutable pyotr filipivich spake:

Guess who else uses Indian phone consulting: American Express!

Bozhe moi, niakoi mi e zabil bradva v glavata!

--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Mirroring (RAID 1) is a good idea, and definitely the way to go as it'll keep the system up if the drive fails while the system is running (which is when most of them fail, isn't it?) instead of just crashing and creating more problems. However, wouldn't the drive not be considered "virgin" if it came from a broken mirror? It seems like the only time the drive is clean is when the system is down, elsewise the system has to be put into some sort of quiesced state before the mirror is detached to ensure the filesystem is consistent at the time it is detached. If you detach the drive while the system is down, the system will come back up reading a failed drive but at least the data on the removed drive will be at a point when the system wasn't touching anything on the drive. Booting from that removed drive would, hopefully, come up cleanly and not require any sort of consistency check and the system would just log a message about a missing element in the mirror. It works that way on other operating systems (Solaris, Linux) so I'd hope Windows would follow suit. Of course, them's mighty big hopes.

Or you could just attach that drive, and another identical drive, to the system and use Linux to dd one drive directly onto the other. But then, that's the Unix geek in me trying to find a way... ANY way... to avoid using Windows! That method does suffer from the problem of requiring identical drive geometries, though, which I'd guess any of the decent commercial drive duplicating softwares could avoid.

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:08:10 GMT, the inscrutable "Joe" spake:

OK, I came back to Peter's Russian with Bulgarian which translates to "My God, there's an axe in my head!"

What does yours translate to? Is it Souix er sumpin'?

--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ain't that the truth! Linux for me!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

XXCOPy is a great program , but it will NOT clone in Win XP.

Or so says the designer of the software.

~d

Reply to
David

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 07:22:36 GMT, the inscrutable "Joe" spake:

Huh? Chumani means "dew drop", Totanka (tatanka) means "buffalo", and Awuchhi translates to (shucks, not googlable). ;)

--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "Joe" wrote back on Sat, 26 Feb 2005

07:22:36 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

From the Ivars Commercial of that time frame: two typical Norwegian fishermen, rain slickers and all, watching a Costner look alike cavorting with a giant clam. And the one says to the other (in Norwegian with sub titles) 'He should be called "Dances with Clams"' to which the other responds "Ya shur".

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:43:56 GMT, the inscrutable "Joe" spake:

No, it's right on topic. See the "OT:" on the subject? ;) It's been a couple years since I saw that for the fifth time so I don't remember his Indian name. And I can't seem to find it on Google. Drat!

What a stirring movie! I have a strong stomach, but seeing that Civil War hospital scene at the beginnning, then the buffalo kill by the white men later, both punched me right in the gut. It's got to be one of the best movies ever. Right up there with Fantasia, the Star Wars Quintilogy, and Rambo: First Blood. ;)

P.S: I'm still in love with Stands With Fist and the quiet little Two Socks fella.

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:26:17 -0800, the inscrutable "Glenn" spake:

Remember one very important fact about the frontier, Glenn:

When the chips are down, the buffalo's empty.

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:43:56 GMT, the inscrutable "Joe" spake:

Found it: "Sungmanitutonka Ob Waci mie yelo." which translates to "I am Dances With Wolves."

-- "Menja bé, caga fort!"

Reply to
Larry Jaques