OT: Dallas Texas auto question- VIT

I'm looking at a used car, for sale in Dallas Texas (and to be shipped out of state, if that makes any difference).

Can someone tell me what the rate of VIT (if any) should be? They're quoting about 0.52% of the asking price. Not a huge deal, but is really something the buyer should be paying seperately? And the numbers I see elsewhere are more like 0.21% than 0.52%, though I suppose it varies by city, county etc.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I found out the hard way, here in Washington, when I bought a car OOS and had it shipped here, that I had to pay local sales tax on the purchase price in order to title and licence it. JR Dweller in the cellar

Reply to
JR North

That's going to vary by state -- but it's probably common. Too many people would just drive down to Oregon to buy their cars, else.

Reply to
Tim

It seems to vary by state. Some states want you to pay local sales tax at the time of purchase unless it's shipped by common carrier (eg. Michigan), and you apparently claim it back from your own state (but I guess the local portion of the tax falls through the cracks).

The VIT (Vehicle Inventory tax) is a new one on me, but it's hard to overestimate how innovative they can be when coming up with new ways to tax people.