OT: First CCW shoot in Ohio

Pretty sure that'd have to be open-carry...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Gunner will throw me out of Church but If I were to carry, I'd want a wheel gun. I can't say why though. I have a bunch of both but all are too big to carry...Gee, I'd have to / get to buy a new one!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Mine says clearly on the face "handgun carry permit" . Personal option whether it's concealed or carried openly , though most training classes recommend concealed . Open carry makes people nervous ...

Reply to
Snag

As much as I'd like to disagree with you, I'm afraid I can not. I've had cops tell me that very thing. What they'd like is for only cops to have guns, but they overlook the fact that criminals don't obey laws------that's what makes them criminals. Living life as if you're the only guy with a gun can lead to complacency, and death.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Heh! You'd trust your life to one of those under-powered things? :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Then you could join my church. I own nothing but wheel guns. I have no interest in others.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Tom sez: " He

Hhmmmnnnn - - - only one dead. What happened to the other one ? Too bad he wasn't "vegetated" so his drooling little ass could be paraded through all the schools as a deterrent to other punk wannabees.

You are just as dead, no matter how young, cute and rehabilitatable the shooter may be.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Hmmm my P3AT holds 6 in the mag and one in the chamber - 7

I still think the P3 is the ultimate carry pistol for the threat level most Americans experience day to day. And they make great stocking stuffers. If my work required me to frequent a more hostile environment on a regular basis, I'd probably move up to my P11.

Reply to
Rex

"Rex" wrote

I was just about to say something, and then I reached up on the shelf here for mine. Mine also holds seven. I apologize for the cerebral flatulence floating in the air.

When I saw the P3, I thought it was a toy. When I picked it up, I said I'd take it. I like that gun. I would suggest it to anyone for a concealed carry gun because of its size. I have a little adjustment when shooting it, though, because of my finger length, and have to use the tip of my forefinger or it doesn't fire exactly where I want in the squeezing action of my hand. But the recoil is light, and there's no problem holding onto it with that one fingertip on the trigger like that. Not so with my other carry gun. You better be holding on tight when you fire that one. When I am going into hostile territory, I take my Smith J frame 60 .357 Mag.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Those add-on mag lips make a big difference in control, with some sacrifice in being able to draw smoothly. I bought 4 NAA pieces for both this and the P32.

Reply to
Rex

============ Another "inconvenient truth" --

It is a common and all too often fatal error to assume that an opponent's perception of the world, through processes, values and priorities are the same as your own. We are dealing with feral individuals that will kill anyone with no compunction and have no regard for their own lives.

It is frequently observed, but too seldom internalized that "the most dangerous person in the world is the one who has nothing [that they value] to lose."

It is just a likely that the surviving "perp" learned that it is better/safer to just pull your piece, shoot the vic, and rob the body than it is to point a gun and announce a hold-up. He also has more than likely amassed enormous "street cred" by being involved in a robber with homicide.

FWIW - In most jurisdictions he can be prosecuted as an adult for at least second-degree murder because he was a participant in a felony (ADW & robbery) in which a death occurred. Don't hold your breath.

The only solution to this problem, that has historically been effective, is not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach (and Australia is already full).

Welcome to the end-game of "Social Darwinism," and when we in the middle class learn and start paying the total costs for all the cheap imported goods and cheap "undocumented employee labor" we have enjoyed, thinking it was coming out of someone else's' hide.

Unka' George ================ When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. Thomas Paine (1737-1809), Anglo-American political theorist, writer. Common Sense, ch. 4 (1776).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

"F. George McDuffee" wrote

George, is it me, or .............

For us surviving old farts, is our universe shrinking? Our own little circles of existence, for lack of better worlds, our own little fish bowls?

I find myself going to fewer places. Intentionally. Going fewer times. Intentionally. Going to certain areas of my city not at all for any reason. Finding it terribly uncomfortable to even talk or associate with most street characters, tattooed, hats on backwards and hardware in their body parts, understanding what they're saying, or getting them to understand you. Finding ANYONE who works behind a counter who can make change or who will look you in the eye.

Carrying a gun more. Carrying pepper spray at all times. Adjusting my behavior when in my younger days, I would have just pushed my way through with confidence. Being more suspicious of people, and in many cases turning out to be justified. Thinking the worst, and a lot of times being justified.

Is it just me? I mean, I can live with that, but wondered if others are experiencing the same thing.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It isn't just you.

I've never been anti-gun, but five years ago I saw no reason why the likes of me and probably we should own a handgun, much less carry one. I still don't carry because I don't feel it necessary where I live and where I go. However, things can change rapidly so I'm now equipped and licensed to do so should I feel it prudent. A severely damaging storm and/or extended power outage could change things in a matter of hours as Katrina did in New Orleans.

Maybe when we get gray hair and more birthdays behind us, we start to understand our limitations and begin to realize that bad stuff doesn't just happen to others. It very probably won't happen to us if we pay attention, but it's imprudent to assume that it can't happen.

Many or most men of my generation are veterans and abhor violence -- but we also understand that the only viable response to immediate grave threat is immediate, decisive and effective response whether or not there is a caregiver or defender present to do the responding.

Reply to
Don Foreman

"Don Foreman" > wrote

I have always noticed in those lion programs that the ones the lions always nail are the ones running around outside the flock ...... lah tee dah ...... not paying attention

BAM! Gazelle burgers.

It's a fact with humans, too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Please note that such events will change your circumstances much more rapidly than you will be able to purchase a handgun. In other words, if you think that future circumstances may dictate that you need one, better to get it now. Then get to a range and practice with it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The first time you need a weapon should NOT be the first time you actually handle that weapon. At that time you will want to be sure and steady in your abilities.

It also means you have more time to instruct the rest of the family in proper ownership and responsibilities of weapon ownership.

Reply to
Steve W.

Heh. Funny you should say that, George, I've been an advocate of transportation for some years now - OUT of Australia. We have some highly undesirable (for living) sub-Antarctic islands.....

Trouble is, the wildlife there is far more valuable than the scum we'd be transporting. Still, the vision is nice - dump them ashore with 6 months rations and wave goodbye...

PDW

Reply to
PDW

Just curious -- why so generous? :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

I use an old Star PD. Much fonder of .45 that a 9mm or .380

Reply to
Gerry

According to Steve B :

[ ... ]

Well ... I have seen (but not shot) a .357 magnum Derringer. I don't think that would be any fun to shoot with *any* size hand. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols