OT: First CCW shoot in Ohio

Yesterday in Cleveland, right down the street from me, two 15 year old punks with a .38 and bad intent accosted a guy sitting on his porch. He shot one dead before they could fire, he had a CCW permit. He was not charged with anything although the cops took his S&W .40. This is the first case in Ohio after the ccw laws were enacted. It will be interesting to see what takes place in the next few days. (I hope the guy has another weapon)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Hopefully they'll give him his gun back!

What exactly is a "CCW" permit? I assume that "concealed weapon" is in there somewhere -- what's the other 'C' for?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Carry[ing] Concealed Weapon[s]

Reply to
Doug Miller

Conceal Carry Weapon permit.

Reply to
Joseph Crabtree

In my state, Nevada, they recently changed it to CCF, Carry Concealed Firearm. That is more specific, as they were having people plead their cases where they thought it entitled them to carry knives, nunchucks, etc. They also, IIRC, defined concealed firearm with regards to dimensions and other specifics so that it could only be construed as pistols.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

=========== CCW = Carry Concealed Weapon

If he gets his weapon back it will not have been cleaned, most likely it will be rusty, it will be beat to crap (front and rear sights will look like and most likely did get hit with a hammer], and will most likely have some "Officer Friendly's" initials scratched on the frame and slide [for identification].

As the "boyz in blue" get pissy when a citizen does their job for them he more than likely he will have to file suit.

The "boyz in blue" have the idea their job is to "get the guns off the street" (and out of the homes) rather than to get the crooks off the street. It is safer and easier.

Unka' George ================ When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. Thomas Paine (1737-1809), Anglo-American political theorist, writer. Common Sense, ch. 4 (1776).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Well, so much for the BAR in a quick-draw holster...

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I have two comments:

First, I have to admit that were it me I'd be happy in stages:

  1. I'd be alive.
  2. I wouldn't be in jail (and with my attitude toward assholes you could also refer back to (1))
  3. I had my gun back at all.

Then I'd be _really_ tempted to sue for the cost to restore the weapon. Not with the expectation of winning, but just to make a point.

Second, there are undoubtedly police officers who don't think that way. I don't doubt that they're a minority, particularly when you reflect on the fact that most police departments are unionized these days, but I also don't doubt that there are some officers who are happy with the citizenry having firearms.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

He should be getting it back..but then..its Ohio...shrug

Good for him btw.

Now we will be hearing the weeping about "dead children"

Snicker

Gunner

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.

-- Grover Norquist

Reply to
Gunner

Here in Indiana, there can be no possible doubt whatever: the card is titled "License to Carry Handgun" and begins "The Licensee is hereby licensed by the Indiana State Police to carry on their person or in a vehicle, any handgun lawfully possessed by Licensee."

Reply to
Doug Miller

My engineer Roger was involved in a shoot-out about 20 years ago here and he got his pistol back and the armorer went over it for him.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

"Tim Wescott" wrote

Or the country boy's favorite, The Snake Charmer.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

My daughter and SIL are police officers, both with 15 years each on the force. We have many cop friends. Believe me, they are happy when one of the bad guys gets taken out either by Joe Citizen or a Badder Guy. They look at it as one less problem for them. They won't say it in public, but they say it a lot in private.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

If it has to be a pistol, a S&W 642 is the popular choice. Same size as the Agent, enclosed hammer, alloy frame. My wife has an Agent - Looks brand new, but that won't last if she ever finishes her CHL app.

If you don't mind an automatic, I like the P3AT Kel-tec. Smaller than the revolvers by a lot, flatter. Drop it in any pocket, just as much firepower. And 2 more rounds.

Reply to
Rex

In TN CCW means weapon, any weapon including knives, guns, etc.

Reply to
Nick Hull

I had one in Mass !! that stated it was good for concealed rifles, pistols, shotguns and sunmachine guns ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

My two carry guns are the S&W .357 Magnum Model 60 J frame, which has the exposed hammer, and the Keltec P3AT .380. Both are five round pistols. The

2 1/8" barreled .357 is a bit scary to shoot with the Magnum loads, and you'd better have a good grip on it. It's one mean little pistol. The muzzle blast is enough to stop anyone within a ten foot diameter circle. Both in front of it and behind it.

I saw one of the shows the other night on TV that shows robberies gone wrong. This woman pulls a .357 like it out from under the counter with her left hand and puts one center mass into a large robber from about two feet. The replays of the recoil just about have the revolver flying out of her hand. The bad guy rolls around on the floor until cops get there. She said if he would have pointed her gun at her again she would have shot him again. That had to leave a mark.

The J frame model 60 Smith is a great conceal gun. The Keltec is also. I did not like the 9mm Keltec because the .380 is sooo much smaller. The 9mm is a lot thicker and bigger. The P3AT looks like a wallet in your pocket, and wears well in an in the pants holster. Also, the Keltec requires a full trigger pull for each round, unlike most semis.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Proly he's gonna lose his house. Go figger.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

My two carry guns are the S&W .357 Magnum Model 60 J frame, which has the exposed hammer, and the Keltec P3AT .380. Both are five round pistols. The

2 1/8" barreled .357 is a bit scary to shoot with the Magnum loads, and you'd better have a good grip on it. It's one mean little pistol. The muzzle blast is enough to stop anyone within a ten foot diameter circle. Both in front of it and behind it.

I saw one of the shows the other night on TV that shows robberies gone wrong. This woman pulls a .357 like it out from under the counter with her left hand and puts one center mass into a large robber from about two feet. The replays of the recoil just about have the revolver flying out of her hand. The bad guy rolls around on the floor until cops get there. She said if he would have pointed his gun at her again she would have shot him again. That had to leave a mark.

The J frame model 60 Smith is a great conceal gun. The Keltec is also. I did not like the 9mm Keltec because the .380 is sooo much smaller. The 9mm is a lot thicker and bigger. The P3AT looks like a wallet in your pocket, and wears well in an in the pants holster. Also, the Keltec requires a full trigger pull for each round, unlike most semis.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The Cleveland cops aren't anti-gun owner, just anti-gun-idiot. Yes, we're already hearing about the intended victom had no right to defend himself.

I've always said that I would never carry...I'm rethinking that stance. I wish I had an "Agent" or some other easy to carry pistol. Maybe a Casull...

Reply to
Tom Gardner