OT-Gunner's making a fool of himself

To Gunner, I've spoken to you on the phone for several hours. You seem like a good person. Your extensive knowledge of machine tools and repair and
you sharing of that information backs that impression up. But then you post, time after time, outright lies to try to make anybody on the political left seem evil. The latest BS about John Edwards and the flu vaccine is a case in point. It makes it hard to seek your advice about machines when mixed in are your hateful comments. You will probably be happy to know that you are the first person that put in my killfile. I hesitated for a long time before I used the filters in Agent to put anybody in the killfile. But your knowledge and help was outweighed by your rhetoric. I hope that someday you will open your mind some and not vilify anymore those that have a different opinion than yours. Eric R Snow
This is a perfect example of someone who cannot separate truth from personal reaction. Practice listening to music you hate. Repeat after me, "The music is not bad, it just sounds bad to me." Keep doing this until you can see in everything that your reaction is not the truth. It is your reaction, and ultimately, you can choose your reaction.
A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Which, ironically, is exactly what you are doing.
Instead of simply ignoring Gunner - AND OPENING YOUR OWN MIND TO ALLOW HIM HIS OWN OPINION WHICH MIGHT BE CONTRARY TO YOURS - you find it necessary to announce to the world that you are killfiling him......mainly because you disagree with his politics.
Why is that necessary?
Does the killfiling NOT work if you don't announce it to the world?
Do you hope Gunner will weep himself to sleep tonight and ponder his wayward life because YOU have killfiled him?
Disagree with Gunner's politics if you choose....I'm sure he can take it - apparently better than you seem to be able to.
Killfile whomever you choose....that is your right.
But, why is it so necessary to make a political statement of your own and announce the killfiling?
As the advertising says, "Just DO it!"
Few of us care who you choose to killfile.....Honest!!
One more thing......You forgot to use the magic word "PLONK!"
LOL!!!!!!!

No, he's excercising his right to not listen to Gunner by adding him to the killfile, and making Gunner (and incidentally, the rest of us, which is probably overkill, but at least the message (hopefully) gets to Gunner) aware of the fact that he's doing so by posting that he has. He's also offering the important (to Gunner, assuming he cares) "why I decided to killfile you" information needed if Gunner has any interest in "changing his ways" to avoid being shunned.

I can't speak for Eric, obviously, but this much I know: *NOBODY* *ANYWHERE* *EVER* has modified the behavior which causes someone else to shun them *WHEN THEY DON'T KNOW THEY'VE BEEN SHUNNED AND WHY*
I see Eric's "announcement" (and my own when I bother to make one) of a plonk as nothing more or less than the "Here's why I'm shunning you. If you care about my opinion of you, you'll cease doing it." part of the equation. A sort of "Y'know, I'd like you/respect you/give you credit for having at least half a brain/whatever if it weren't for the fact that you ______________." notification.
A "silent plonk" accomplishes nothing. An "announced" one at least puts the "target" on notice that SOMEBODY thinks what he's posting is improper. And if enough plonks get announced against the same poster, perhaps he gets the idea that he needs to rethink how he's posting if he wants his messages read.
Of course, someone who couldn't care less isn't going to be "cured" by this approach, but at the very least, it puts them on notice that SOMEBODY out there believes them to be out of line - Enough so that they're willing to erase that poster from their "world".
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
Actually I rather enjoy Gunners outrageous distortions. I consider it sort of a clipping service for all the off the wall right wing ranting blogs. I don't have to wander around the web to find out how idiotic the wingers are getting. Just check RCM and get a good overview.

Mostly he just blames it on clinton!
Jim
please reply to:
snip------

Very well stated.
Harold

I had my tongue planted firmly in my cheek when I stated earlier in this thread.....
"Do you hope Gunner will weep himself to sleep tonight and ponder his wayward life because YOU have killfiled him?"
But, apparently, SOME people actually believe that is exactly what will happen if Gunner is deprived of their approval.
Folks....this isn't the high school popularity contest anymore where you're hoping that Peggy Sue will go to the homecoming football game with you this weekend....
It's the real world.....where some people like you, some people hate you, and the vast majority of people really couldn't care less about you.
Get used to it.......

Please accept my sincere apologies.....
I thought I was posting in Rec.Crafts.Metalworking, but all this talk about "shunning" makes me realize that I accidently stumbled into Rec.Mormon-Religious-Practices by mistake....
But, you speak about shunning as though the people you are shunning actually care about being shunned..........
I have yet to see ANY announced "PLONK!" have ANY sort of effect on the Plonkee.....
In all honesty, have you?????

Pull your tongue out of your cheek, and your head out of your ass, then.

Obviously, you're more interested in turning this into a point-scoring thing than an actual discussion - your sarcasm demonstrates that adequately. That being the case, Here's a key fact: I won't play along.

How would you (or anyone) know, with any kind of certainty?
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.

Oh No!!!!!
I've offended you!!!!!......
......and, because of me, YOU won't be playing along anymore!!!!!!
Is YOUR Mommy gonna' make a nasty telephone call to MY Mommy telling her that I don't play well with others?
Is your ego SO big that you actually believe that statement means anything to me.....or several others on this thread?????
Go knit some mittens or something......You will NOT be missed in this corner.
Maybe its time for you to take a nap!

My original statement is above.
As I stated, * I *, personally, have never seen anyone back down from a Plonk! In every case that * I * have ever observed, the Plonkee continues on posting while the Plonker sits in a corner with his security blanket and Teddy Bear and fumes.
I never suggested that my observations encompass *ALL" situations.

HereHere! Announcing a 'plonk' to the world can often have a very bad effect - some loons (*) will take that as a signal to morph their screen names to get out of your filters.
(* - And Gunner is not a troll, and doesn't deserve anything more than an "Ignore Thread" if you don't want to read that particular topic. Opinionated, you bet. Outspoken, sure. Starts stirring up OT shit at the drop of a hat, yeah he does... But he's sane, which is more than I can say about some trolls I've run across.)
Then when you get pissed again and 'plonk' the second screen name, the troll switches to a third...
In a different unnamed newsgroup, we have one rather persistent troll who has (hang on a minute, let me go count the filter entries) at least 22 different screen names he uses in rotation. The default for my filters is to expire after 30 days of inactivity, so some of his less-used monikers may have fallen off the list.
And when he makes a post and fails to get a rise out of anyone in the group, Name No. 23 will be invented.
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700

Chuckle..Ive had some of the nastiest people on the planet trying to KILL me. Ive had a price on my head. 10,000 P dead, Zero alive
Think a bit of "Harumph!" is gonna phase me in the slightest?
Think again.
Gunner

"By calling attention to 'a well regulated militia', the 'security' of the nation, and the right of each citizen 'to keep and bear arms', our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although it is extremely unlikely that the fears of governmental tyranny which gave rise to the Second Amendment will ever be a major danger to our nation, the Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships, in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason, I believe the Second Amendment will always be important." -- Senator John F. Kennedy, (D) 1960

Brings on a new perspective when you realize their serious.

nation, and the right of each citizen 'to keep and bear arms', our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although it is extremely unlikely that the fears of governmental tyranny which gave rise to the Second Amendment will ever be a major danger to our nation, the Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships, in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason, I believe the Second Amendment will always be important."

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:20:39 -0800, Sunworshipper

Its best described as "Pucker Factor"
Gunner
"As physicists now know, there is some nonzero probability that any object will, through quantum effects, tunnel from the workbench in your shop to Floyds Knobs, Indiana (unless your shop is already in Indiana, in which case the object will tunnel to Trotters, North Dakota). The smaller mass of the object, the higher the probability. Therefore, disassembled parts, particularly small ones, of machines disappear much faster than assembled machines." Greg Dermer: rec.crafts.metalworking

In another thread a while back which discussed the merits - or lack thereof - of killfiling, it was pointed out that even though a person's actual posts have been censored through killfiling, their comments are STILL quoted in replies.......
.....so the killfiler would have to intentionally avoid reading the entire thread in order to avoid being exposed to the censored person's comments - which are alledged to be so offensive to the killfiler.....
This could have easily - and thoroughly - been accomplished in the first place without all the indignant puffery of announcing that a killfiling has taken place.
.....so, REALLY......!!!
What's the sense in killfiling someone who really couldn't care less, when the killfiler actually doesn't avoid having to read that person's comments in other posts?
Is an "announced killfiling" really a sham?......hypocritical?......impotent?
Bob Paulin wrote:

Yep, I have always maintained that "PLONK" is the cry of a sore loser. <G>

Is your attempt to belittle the idea that MAYBE applying some social pressure to those who are behaving unacceptably based on your hatred of the fact that it has been proven functional many times over the millennia, along with a fear that it might be aimed at you and your seemingly intended-to-be-disruptive behavior, or is it just an artifact of your delusion that nobody else cares enough to even make the attempt?
G'night, Bob... You've just demonstrated, to me at least, that you've got nothing useful to say.
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.

But, the fact of the matter is that, over time, "social pressure" has proven to NOT work with Gunner.
THAT simple fact has been proven on this newsgroup time and again, yet people continue to apply it as though it actually DOES work.
Maybe we could give Gunner a "time-out" too!
That is a "social pressure" concept that also works.....in nursery school.
As a matter of fact, I consider the word "PLONK!" to be so violent as to be socially unacceptable,.....so, why don't we use the words "Time out" as a euphemism for killfiling?
"Gunner.....I'm giving you a 'time out'. " ROFL!!!!!!!
THAT ought to have about the same effect on Gunner as "PLONK!" or an announced killfiling, yet be somewhat less violent in language.
Are you THAT upset to realize that many warm 'n' fuzzy social theories often do not work on people who deal in the real world?

What's the matter??? Don't have the stones to say "PLONK!" - excuse me "Time out" - to me?
Go ahead.....I can take it!!! LOL!!!!!!!

and once gummer enters into a thread, and especially if he started one, killing the whole thing makes more sense than opening the first one. gummers postings lately = garbage. He's been in my lillfile since I got Agent, and it's not the free version.
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:46:03 -0500, Nobody wrote:

So am I, for some reason....
Oh right, because Nobody's thinks that Gunner and I are best buds or something. Heh!