OT - Has the world gotten more stupid lately?

I suspect clearing a jam would be a royal pita as well.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Though understandable.

Except, maybe, by those managers.

Reply to
Mark

Actually it wasn't, it was pretty close to the truth! I was agreeing with you from a position of experience :-)

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I wish Hollywood would quit dubbing helicopter sounds over helicopter sounds. We get the picture of, say, a Hughes 500 with the sound of an old Bell 47, with decreasing RPM as it comes in to land. So bogus. Or an old radial-engined airplane with the sound of a modern buzz. Most anyone who has been around an airport knows better. One of the tenets of moviemaking is to be as accurate as possible, as there are large numbers of informed people watching, but the filmmakers still do dumb things. There was an airplane accident recently that involved a light twin that ran out of fuel, landed on a freeway and crunched into a light standard. The fire chief said, "It was a good thing there was no fuel on board or there'd have been a fire..."

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 01:40:02 +0000, Mark Rand wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

You realise that "to defenestrate" has been redefined to mean to "remove one's PC".

Or you could ultrafenestrate. Which is to say give them a _new_ "window"

**************************************************** sorry remove ns from my header address to reply via email

I was frightened by the idea of a conspiracy that was causing it all. But then I was terrified that maybe there was no plan, really. Is this unpleasant mess all a mistake?

Reply to
Old Nick

Well, it looks like both levers and triggers from the original rifles are still present, so you should be able to cycle each action independently. It seems like that would be pretty awkward, though.

The article was _very_ brief. My impression was that its value was mainly as a curiosity.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

I saw something on TV a while back, where the "ring a ding" of a Japanese two stroke was on the sound track, but the bike was a Harley Davidson.

TV can be weird though. A few years ago, I was one of the subjects of a Canadian Vignettes episode, on the BC Knowledge Network. While being taped using a computer, I had to hold the mouse at a very awkward angle, just so it would look right on TV.

Steve R.

Reply to
Udie

I realize this probably isn't what you're talking about, but I used to ride a 165cc 2-stroke Harley Davidson. Also, 250cc and 350cc 4-stroke single-cylinder Harley Davidsons.

We had a club of single-cylinder Harley owners in my old home town, and the

2-stroke was a real head-turner. It was a road bike, BTW, and had the sway-back look of old Harleys. A very cool little bike.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:47:21 -0800, Jim Stewart wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

Not lately. It's always been this way.

Hitchcock's "The Birds": - a room full of birds and no shit

Any film with lightning that occurs at the same time or even after the thunder. (My pet hate).

Lazers that can be seen and heard in space.

Space ships that can be heard in space.

The physics of all space films where battles are involved.

Harleys that sound like Jap 4 cyls. (etc)

Cars that change gears over and over, always upward, with no interaction by the driver.

Squealing tyres on wet/dirt/icy etc surfaces.

Work out what sort of engine the car has in "Duel".

Effectively punching somebody underwater.

Neverending gun magazines.

A woman (recently I admit) on TV who was drinking plum wine and saying that she did not feel so guilty because it contained real fruit.

Any statement of statistics that supports a belief.

Bt what if they had _not_ thought of this?

**************************************************** sorry remove ns from my header address to reply via email

I was frightened by the idea of a conspiracy that was causing it all. But then I was terrified that maybe there was no plan, really. Is this unpleasant mess all a mistake?

Reply to
Old Nick

Ah yes, the old Spaghetti Hogs :) Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 05:30:03 +0800, Old Nick commented:

Since the Managers involved thought they were in charge of assorted IT functions, Taking their PC's away would probably be at least as effective as the more traditional form :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Lasers that can be seen. Period. I know, smoke and dust, that's not what I mean.

Jap bikes with the V-Twin thump.

Double clutching with an automatic.

Funny thing is I've squealed tires on dirt. I looked for cameras. It does happen but not to the extent seen from Hollywood.

Until an empty weapon adds to the story.

What are grapes?

"There are Liars, Damned Liars and then there are Statisticians." Paraphrase, I forget who said it first.

Reply to
Mark

I know the ones you mean. Harley bought an Italian company, and re-branded the bikes. The one on TV was an FLH.

Steve R.

Reply to
Udie

Just for reference, the single-cylinder 2-stroke I'm talking about dated from around 1960. I don't know who made it. I rode it in 1965.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On History Channel tonight, they said that the Nordan Bombsight compensated for altitude, airspeed and crossroads.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

-air speed, wind speed, wind direction, altitude, and angle of drift. .... The bombsight was also an automatic pilot, ....

Mark

Probably the work of an insidious spellchucker.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Looked rather odd..had the engine sticking way out the front..almost reminded me of a Wankle type engine hanging out there.

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Reply to
Gunner

I believe you're thinking of the 250/350cc 4-stroke H-D Sprint, which had a low-angle single hanging out front at something like 15 degrees from horizontal, like the old Honda 90.

The jug on the 165 cc 2-stroke H-D was nearly straight-up.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yup..dat be the one. I owned one for about a week. Someone wanted it worse than I did. I was riding a Bonneville at the time..shrug.