OT: headlight socket burnout

I must admit this one has me stumped. Corolla low beam headlight socket burning out, with clear evidence of overheating in one contact only. Headlamp and socket have been replaced twice. Any ideas?

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Same lot number on socket?

Socket not fully seated on pins or blades?

I'm winchester now.

Wes

Wes

mattathayde had written this in response to

:

------------------------------------- axolotl wrote:

if your replacing the socket and it keeps burning out i would look towards the fuse/relay because it may be incorrect or bad and allowing to much current passing to the socket

-matt

Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - rec.crafts.metalworking - 172416 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
mattathayde

Can't be. The lamp determines the current draw. Are these OEM bulbs or did someone put in overwatt bulbs. This WILL fry sockets as they are designed to be "adequate" for the stock bulb - but not with a lot of safety margin.for "super-brite" replacement bulbs.

Reply to
clare

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 21:16:09 -0400, the infamous axolotl scrawled the following:

Which contact? If it's the ground terminal (suspected), check the grounding on it. Does the wiring get hot, too? See if someone put a junction in it with a crimp-on inline jumper after an accident or something. When I worked as a wrench in a body shop, I soldered and taped all splices, but I saw re-wrecked autos where other body men had used crimp terminals. Fools!

Can you get to the headlight switch? If so, does it get hot when the lights are on?

What year model is it, and what bulb?

-- It's a great life...once you weaken. --author James Hogan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 02:13:09 +0000, the infamous matt_at_athayde_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (mattathayde) scrawled the following:

So you think that fuses and relays can pump too much current to a normal bulb, do you, Matt? That's really interesting. Where'd you learn your electrical theory?

I = E/R. (I=V/R) It's the law!

-- It's a great life...once you weaken. --author James Hogan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Poor crimp at the terminal for the bulb socket - possibly a few strands hanging out, restricts current flow, gets hot, is dissipated in socket and cooks it. Has it been in a crash and badly repaired . "Assemblers" dont have much electrical knowledge. Do a visual on the wiring of the affected pin, you will see if its cooked, replace the wire, back to a good length in the loom. And as someone has already said, solder then heat shrink the new wiring. Andrew VK3BFA. Oh, and ask the Toyota dealership if there has been a service bulletin on this problem...

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Lamp is the basic current determining unit - but if you have a bad cable going back and it comes on / off on bumps - it would blink the beam and the surge current to light - about 10x run current would then overheat the socket.

That is my take.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Have both been replaced at the same time? An overheated socket can burn the lamp contact pin to a higher resistance state, so it will overheat the new socket and burn it, and so one.

Other than that -- have you tried a clamp-on DC ammeter to see what the current are through the wires -- and compared them to the ones in the other headlamp? It might be that someone put a high-wattage lamp in that one side -- higher than the connector was designed for.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I've had this effect before, also on fuses, etc. where there is significant power draw.

  1. the power draw causes the contact to heat up if there is anything weak
  2. the head causes the contact to oxidize, increasing resistance
  3. increased resistance causes more heat, and you get a cascade until failure

solutions:

  1. make sure both the female and male contact are clean and bright before connecting
  2. make sure that the terminal really makes contact with the bulb, not just in a few places -
  3. add a contact conditioner - I have some magic blue stuff I like, but there are many - something to block the oxidation
  4. go to a higher current contact, or a bigger wire - the larger wire will conduct heat away from the junction and extend the life
Reply to
Bill Noble

Make sure that when you install the new bulb, you are pushing it straight in, not at an angle. You could be angling it in and distorting a contact enough to cause a bad connection.

axolotl wrote:

Reply to
Jim Stewart