OT heater controls

Lots of experience here and I can't find the answer online ... We're working on my neighbor's 1995 Chevy truck , the heater/ac control module is shot . His truck doesn't have rear window defogger , the only available new control is only available with the button for rear defog ... I'm wondering if that unit just has an extra pin or two in the connector , and if it will swap into his truck that doesn't have that option . Anybody know ?

Reply to
Snag

Lots of experience here and I can't find the answer online ... We're working on my neighbor's 1995 Chevy truck , the heater/ac control module is shot . His truck doesn't have rear window defogger , the only available new control is only available with the button for rear defog ... I'm wondering if that unit just has an extra pin or two in the connector , and if it will swap into his truck that doesn't have that option . Anybody know ? Snag

-----------------------

Jim Wilkins

Just to mention there are some via Ebay:

Some have decent pictures that may help out...

Prices all over the place, expensive control😬

Reply to
Leon Fisk

So this image has defrost:

This one doesn't:

It looks like another module with a couple wires to rear plug are added to the module with defrost. However the cables that plug in to either module look the same...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

It has become a moot point , I found a used unit at a local salvage yard for 40 bucks . It's in overall good shape , only one small tab broken , and one locator pin . The pin is in a location that we can put a long screw thru as a replacement . The tab is going to require a dot of super glue .

Reply to
Snag
<snip>

That sounds like a good fix. Prices I saw were waaayyyy more than that😉

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Yeah , like $150+ for a unit that looked like it was dragged thru the mud and let dry . And with the lock tabs broken off to boot !

Reply to
Snag

I figured you had already checked LMC, but gmpartsdirect.com has surprised me a few times. If I am not sure between a couple options I have been able to email them the VIN and get a guaranteed correct match.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Yup , first place I checked after I saw the used ones going for new prices . There's quite a bit of stuff from LMC already in/on my truck and fixin' to be more . I checked Rock , the only one they carry is with rear defog and this truck doesn't have that feature . I haven't traded with gmpartsdirect , are their prices competitive ? Sears direct parts is great for getting part numbers , but I ain't payin' their prices ...

Reply to
Snag

It's been a while. I seem to recall about 40% lower than my business (small) discount from the local dealer, but everything they sent came in a GM bag or with GM label. I think they are a front to the public for a stocking parts dealer. I don't recall the exact name. Long time ago we use to be able to get warehouse distributor pricing through our hardware co-op. I figure they are probably fronting for somebody like that.

Interestingly, 20ish years ago everything I bought from LMC except stuff obviously not available through dealer distribution had OEM tags on it. lately that has not been the case.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

In my past experience it should fit. Worst case scenario you get the plug for truck with RWD and switch the pins into the replacement plug (but I REALLY doubt it will be required)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Actually I think the RWD switch has a separate harness and plug.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Turns out that I found a used OEM replacement locally . For about a quarter the price they are asking online and in better shape . The neighbor has plugged it in and it functions as it's supposed to . Now we're waiting on new air control actuators and a replacement bezel . I think another neighbor is going to install that stuff . I'm the parts guy ... seriously , I order parts for several neighbors and they keep me supplied with beer . But I drink whiskey ... most of the time .

Reply to
Snag

Sounds like a beer party and bonfire behind Snag's house.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Not right now , the woods are dry dry dry , and I don't want any "wild fires" here .

Reply to
Snag

You just don't want to cleanup after...

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Actually empties are a bonus , just toss 'em in the fire and I'll rake the aluminum out of the ashes after they cool . The woods really are pretty dry right now . Extended periods of no rain with periods of rain so heavy that it just runs off instead of soaking in . After last winter's sub-zero temps and this summer's semi-drought the trees are stressed , we're seeing a lot of trees being killed by Hypoxylon Canker this year . Nasty shit , always in the trees but only manifests when they are weakened and stressed . Got one white oak tree about 70 ft tall x about 16" at the base right next to my driveway that's affected and needs to come out . Neighbor called a couple of days ago to tell me he's got like 4 trees affected and do I want them for firewood ... OF COURSE I want free firewood !! Especially since he usually cuts them into stove lengths for me and all I have to do is haul it home and split/stack . These are the kind of neighbors everybody wishes they had .

Reply to
Snag

"Snag" wrote in message news:uc8j2s$3l4s4$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Actually empties are a bonus , just toss 'em in the fire and I'll rake the aluminum out of the ashes after they cool . The woods really are pretty dry right now . Extended periods of no rain with periods of rain so heavy that it just runs off instead of soaking in . After last winter's sub-zero temps and this summer's semi-drought the trees are stressed , we're seeing a lot of trees being killed by Hypoxylon Canker this year . Nasty shit , always in the trees but only manifests when they are weakened and stressed . Got one white oak tree about 70 ft tall x about 16" at the base right next to my driveway that's affected and needs to come out . Neighbor called a couple of days ago to tell me he's got like 4 trees affected and do I want them for firewood ... OF COURSE I want free firewood !! Especially since he usually cuts them into stove lengths for me and all I have to do is haul it home and split/stack . These are the kind of neighbors everybody wishes they had . Snag

-------------------------- My neighbors let me cut all the dead trees I wanted on their large property, so logging became my health club. I bought the 91 Ranger to haul it out on trails that experience showed were too narrow for a full sized pickup.

I built the sawmill to salvage good lumber from the straightest of the mature oaks that died or blew down on my lot, the dead trees on theirs were mostly 8" or smaller and had failed to reach the canopy. I wish now I'd bought the 12" planer instead of the cheaper 9", though the 9" has been adequate for the wall of bookshelves and new oak door and window frames. The less perfect wood has become 6" x 6" x 8' columns and 6" x 12" x 12' beams that I can use for shed roofs or cut thinner as needed. My portable gantry hoists can be assembled partly within the sheds to stack these heavy timbers on stickers cut from waste. Have you priced oak lumber recently?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I haven't , but I can imagine it ain't cheap ! What's really cool about the woods here is that the trees are so close together they are encouraged to grow straight up until they can get above the canopy . Makes for long straight trunks with few side branches .

Reply to
Snag

I haven't , but I can imagine it ain't cheap ! What's really cool about the woods here is that the trees are so close together they are encouraged to grow straight up until they can get above the canopy . Makes for long straight trunks with few side branches . Snag

That's a great help for felling and splitting. As you know but others might not trees with lower branches may twist, hit another and fall unpredictably and are difficult to split. I split my firewood with an axe for about 15 years until a helpful friend went into the tree business and unloaded the trunks of suburban shade trees with heavy side branches in my yard. Then I built a hand-pumped splitter from a shop crane ram. I mentioned it to a pawn shop owner who told me he had a powered one for sale, for $200.

It needed new seals for $40, a pump for $100, an oil filter it had lacked and the brand new replacement engine would stall after about 5 minutes, due to a leaky float, $3 to fix. Since then it has given 25 years of good service.

I made a rugged table to store it on, nested above the shop crane. Chain hoists enable compact storage. When splitting the table is on the far side for wood to roll onto instead of falling, so the whole operation is at waist height without heavy lifting off the ground, which my back won't take for long. Burnable kindling splints go into an obsolete recycling bin on one side, bark scraps into a bin on the other, simplifying cleanup. I pick up wood from the ground only once after cutting it to length, otherwise it's in the trailer or wheelbarrows or stacked on covered pallets, which makes the dozen or so times each piece is handled much easier.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins