[OT] Hot peppers

That might make a good test for the carelessly brave: "I can eat this pepper!"

A couple of years ago, we went to a friend's house for Thanksgiving dinner. Another guest brought some "habanero dip" - a lovely pale orange color. One brave soul immediately scooped a generous quantity of the dip and, exclaiming "I love hot stuff", popped it into his mouth. The reaction was slow, but inexorable. After he ran out of the room, wordlessly searching for a liter-sized bottle of beer, Wayne explained that the dip was simply pureed habaneros; he hadn't had a chance to explain that the label on the bowl, which read "HOT", was no understatement. I'm not sure if the intrepid guest even tasted the turkey that year (but his sinuses were clear). We're going back there this year. No telling what culinary surprises await us.

I picked my last bunch of the peppers on Friday, in anticipation of the first frost of the season (it got down to 31F). I live right on a small mountain river, and the cool air really settles around us at night. Before I built my garage (using a steel I-beam for the second story support - metal content), I would have to scrape ice off the windshield for 2 or 3 weeks before the folks in the nearby town. This year, I will make sure my wife doesn't dry the serranos - they gotta be fresh or frozen for use in guacamole.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

My oldest brother once won a $5 bet that he could eat a Habenero.....

Did I mention *ONCE*? ;)

Tim

Tim Williams

If any of you are facing this problem but haven't actually picked the peppers yet, I offer two suggestions courtesy of my wife:

My peppers were grown in a large square pot and since a couple dozen hadn't yet ripened, we carted the pot indoors and set it where it would get lots of light and some sun. Almost all are ready to pick.

If this is not an option, she suggests pulling up the entire bush and hanging it upside down in the house. She claims they will continue to ripen in this configuration.

Speaking of drying, I just posted the label for my bottle of "Super Sprinkles" to the dropbox. See

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Best use of really hot peppers: antichucos

Make sure you stay upwind of the grill :-)

Save the pepper seeds. Clean out an old Tabasco bottle. Wearing latex gloves and eye protection (I ain't kidding), push as many seeds as you can into the bottle. Fill with wine vinegar and let sit about six months. A couple of drops of this will peg your scoville meter :-)

--Yank

Reply to
Yankee Station

Or get a bottle of sesame oil and put the seeds in there to give you _real_ chili oil for Asian dishes.

(No metal working content, but what the hell)

--RC

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. --Friedrich Nietzsche Never get your philosophy from some guy who ended up in the looney bin. -- Wiz Zumwalt

Reply to
rcook5