OT - how should I run my shop ceiling sheekrock

You should sub it out. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

Reply to
larsen-tools

My 30'x24' shop trusses run east/west and I'm ready to install a 5/8" sheetrock ceiling. I'm wondering what would be the best way to run the

4'x8' sheets. Also, someone suggested I cut one sheet in half and then stagger the sheets so the seams don't all line up - good idea?

Thanks for your time Larry

Reply to
Larry Webb

Larry,

The board is not equally stiff in both directions. The fiberglass strands orient lengthways in the rolling process. The ceiling will be flatter, stronger, less prone to sagging, and easier to finish if you run the board perpendicular to the trusses. A little known refinement that leads to an even better job...Make sure the butt joints do NOT fall on a framing member. Instead, use a 4" strip of plywood or OSB to back up the ends and provide reasonable surface for the screws back from the edge. This will result in a straighter and stronger ceiling. The bonus...it's actually easier to do. By all means, keep the joints staggered.

George Willer

Reply to
George Willer