OT: ise or ize?

IIRC, there was a scrap here about this, and it's an ongoing battle.

Well as a "British" speaker and speller (Australian) I have to admit that both the US and the British sides of most of theze fightz are wrong, but the official US side makes more sense.

An extract from :

"English tip of the month

-ize or -ise Many people in the UK believe that words ending in ?-ize? such as ?organize? are US spellings, and that the correct spelling is ?organise?. However, the Oxford University Press insists that words such as computerize, capitalize, capsize, organize, organization, privatize, publicize, realize should take the -ize ending, but that others, eg analyse, advertise, advise, arise, compromise, disguise, despise, enterprise, exercise, merchandise, revise, supervise, surprise should take the -ise ending.

In the Concise Oxford Dictionary you will often find that both options are possible in British English - 'realise' or 'realize', 'organise' or 'organize' - whilst for other entries -ize is listed as unmistakably American, e.g. 'analyse' = British English, 'analyze' = American English.

Here's a checklist you can use:

Noun and verb: Where the noun and verb are the same (like ?exercise?), use -ise.

Pronounciation: Anything that doesn't sound like ?-eyes? uses -ise, such as ?promise?.

Stem: Where the stem word (usually Latin or Greek) ends in ?is?, then use -ise, as in vis (to see) gives ?televise?.

Anything else: Use -ize."

I reckon I'll stay the way I was, and keep out of the arguments about who is "right"

I do have to say that anyone who is teaching me correct "pronounciation" could at least learn to spell it proper.

***************************************************** Have you noticed that people always run from what they _need_ toward what they want?????
Reply to
Old Nick

Then they're wrong (but this is a common view).

-ize is an archaic English form and would have been commonplace in the

17th century. Since then America has preserved it, England has shifted.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

I agree, current business practice in the UK is "-ise" though the OED does appear neutral. There was a campaign to save the "z" in the UK a few years back. Didn't stop me having to do a find and replace from "-ize" to "-ise" on a customer contract though.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:27:20 GMT, "Ed Huntress" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Exactly.

***************************************************** Have you noticed that people always run from what they _need_ toward what they want?????
Reply to
Old Nick

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:36:35 +0100, Andy Dingley vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Which is exactly wht the rest of the article basically said.

But not _altogether_ wrong according to Oxford, which is still the quoted english reference. Making them all z appears "wrong" as well, but to me makes more sense than the "official English" version.

hmmm. I was trying to say that the argument should stop, mainly because I suddenly came to realisze that the "right" answer is a dog's breakfast. Either uze S or use Z, but the "official english" version makes both "wrong", while making no sense itself.