OT-Left Behind

My great-grandparents left West Virginia and moved to Missouri. While in Missouri, my great grand mother died. My great grand father, then moved on to Oberlin, Missouri where he homesteaded. He arrived in Oberlin in time to help bury those killed in the last Indian massacre in Kansas. Not long afterwards he remarried to a woman who he had grown up with in West Virginia. She took the train to Buffalo Park , Kansas where my great grand father met her. To get to Buffalo Park, he had to drive a team of horses cross country about thirty miles as there were no roads. They were married in Buffalo Park before they returned to Oberlin, Kansas and lived in a sod house until they could build a frame house. He was elected to the Kansas Legislature twice.

Although my great grand mother never got to Kansas, I am confident that she could have if she had not died.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

That was not exactly the lesson I got from this incident. The only reason people could not fix my problem is that the computer system did not allow them to do it. It was designed with the assumption that humans are just a fancy data input device and should not actually make decisions. The problem was that the computer was making much worse decisions in my case than the people would have had they been allowed. Comcast has very poor customer service rankings, and after my experience I am sure it is due to their inflexible computer system. I think if Comcast managment had more faith in their people and less in their computer, they would do a much better job.

Reply to
anorton

Yes but he misses the point (or rather--like so many noble politicians--will not touch it intentionally).

He wants to sound "outraged" at the condition of the common man, while doing absolutely nothing to improve the situation.

Reply to
DougC

It never did - was never meant to.

The idea behind education was where an individual person was on the curve.

Reply to
CaveLamb

(chuckle) often referred to as "come to Jesus time"...

Reply to
CaveLamb

He can't dazzle us with his briliance , so he's trying his best to baffle us with bullshit .

Reply to
Snag

(...)

It ain't their computer IMHO.

Soon after moving into our current home, I contacted Comcast to install cable and high speed internet. They jerked me around for a week, offering any number of transparently bogus excuses* in a tone of voice that indicated that I was 'entertainment' not a 'potential customer'.

I've experienced companies that cannot manage to support their products once installed but Comcast is one of those exceptional organizations that couldn't give a crap about signing up new customers to begin with.

  • I needed to talk to a *specific* person in Sales! WTF?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I understand that, but our system and incentives are not set up that way. Aid is need based, not merit based. Most people are too stupid to hack it in a good college, and not everyone can benefit from advanced training in a practical trade. Colleges have turned into extended high schools and vocational programs are used to house the mentally deficient.

Reply to
ATP

Almost every college class I've been in started out with a huge number of students, and ended with a tiny fraction of those making it all the way.

For the most part, that was laziness, not stupidity (unless one assumes lazy is stupid?).

Your claim that colleges have become extended high schools doesn't really hold water. High school students can't just quit.

Think of it as a weeding process - where you weed yourself out - or not.

Reply to
CaveLamb

Quick Quiz: Who invented the computer?

Answer: Nobody. A computer is an amalgamated evolution of unrelated and incompatible parts assembled by child geniuses.

Computers do a little bit of everything but nothing well. Or for very long.

Reply to
CaveLamb

I still don't have my atomic-powered flying car!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yeah, I'm bitter about that one too.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

The flaw in your argument is that 70-80 percent can be replaced with a computer. They can't, at least not in a society that wants or needs a modern infrastructure in order to prosper. What computers can improve on are things like design models. Building things takes people using technology.

The "Left Behind" thesis implies a static environment, something that just doesn't exist. Never has and never will.

Reply to
Califbill

Hmm , that may have changed since your last contact . I've found Comcast to be responsive . Called a couple of days ago , they were very helpful in determining that the reason I didn't have connectivity was because of problems with their system .

Reply to
Snag

Were those calc based courses? Most general courses do not result in that much attrition. To let people try and make it is fine as long as standards are maintained. But the reality is that standards are lowered to meet the average quality of the student body. When we subsidize more students regardless of intellectual ability, the average declines. Also, colleges are in business to collect tuition and confer degrees. Flunking out large numbers of students does not help an instructor's career.

In terms of the quality of work accepted.

Reply to
ATP

Nearly half of my freshman engineering class was gone by the begining of sophmore year. This was the stated goal of the University at the time and the instructors prided themselves on meeting the goal. They spent the first two years weeding out the chaff and after that, made a real effort to insure completion of a degree program. It was brutal until your proved yourself academically. Once you had, the world changed remarkably. Prior to making the grade, it was just brutal. The LS&A disciplines were different.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

...get a job ...

OKAY! You hiring? Where do I report?

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hell. I went to Jesus decades ago, and now I'm homeless and penniless.

What else does he have in store for me before I die alone, shivering in the dark?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Basic core courses. Math, Literature, Composition, History, etc.

3 or 4 (never more than 6) finish out of 30 to 40 starting.

The programming courses did a bit better.

8 or 9 finished out of 50 starting.

My last calculus class did best - 12 finished out of 20 starting.

BTW, these people didn't flunk out (that's SO HIGH SCHOOL!)

They quit.

And the university got paid full tuition for each of them. UP FRONT, you know!

You need to go back to school again, ATP. It might be an eye opener...

Reply to
CaveLamb

Looks like you have the first part right.

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 19:23

Bu how about the real test?

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Matthew 7:21

Reply to
CaveLamb