OT - Lightweight Ebay shipping fee scam

I won an auction this morning and the item description showed a shipping fee of $2.00. Well, I did the Ebay checkout that takes you straight to Paypal and lo and behold, the shipping field on the Paypal invoice automagically filled in $7.00. Not a bad boost for a $5.75 item.

I cancelled out of Paypal and went back in directly without doing an Ebay checkout. I was then able to enter the described shipping fee and finish the transaction.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I have paid $7 or $8 for shipping only to see that the postage was less than $2. Kinda feels like you are getting taken.

-- Roger Shoaf If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in the solvent.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

When you fill out the forms to list an item on eBay it remembers the values you used on the last item you listed. It's VERY easy to forget to change something like the shipping charge. Now that PayPal is owned by eBay they're very well integrated so the shipping specified on the listing form is automatically passed to PayPal regardless of what the seller shows in his text.

My point is that it could be, and probably is, an honest mistake.

Reply to
Keith Marshall

go to internet options to clear the history

Reply to
mrbonaparte

I think that's a different problem. I'm talking about eBay's "save preferences" option or whatever they call it. I think you're referring to IE's attempt at remembering form field values and as someone else mentioned I believe you can clear that by clearing your history in the Internet Options utility in Control Panel.

You can also click on the form field on the page, hit the down cursor key, select the item you want to get rid of and hit the delete key. It takes awhile but you can selectively get rid of as many individual values as you want that way.

Keith Marshall

And packing, and walking 20 miles in the snow to the post office.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

No, I think that is a dishonest maneuver, with an "out" to look like an honest mistake.

It's a pitiful state of affairs when you can't TRUST any> When you fill out the forms to list an item on eBay it remembers the values

Reply to
Jerry Wass

Go to: Tools->Internet Options->Content->Autocomplete and clear the settings.

Reply to
George

I've had good experiences buying stuff from fellow hobbyists, especially ones that are savvy about current values. They aren't looking to take you or sell you something you can't use, even if it's obvious you are not a knowledgeable buyer.

Reply to
ATP

I've had people paypal me all kinds of random amounts for shipping, even before I specified it. It took me a minute before I realized stupid IE's forms autocomplete was trying to "help" these buyers.

-Adam

Reply to
adam smith

Ah, no wonder there's so many stories of slow shipments, the sellers are waiting for winter to come around so they can trudge through it ;)

Tim

-- In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!" Website @

Tim Williams

Something to remember. I diddn't realise netscape was doing this at first, I assumed it was just better integration between ebay and paypal, with paypal picking up the shipping cost from ebay.

Reply to
Ian Stirling