[OT:] Manual cement pump?

wrote:

Sorry. They sounded great on the phone. And they did refund 2 out of 3 sorry excuses of leads for me. No, not refunds, credits. I found that they didn't have too many leads for me so I stuck with the Service Directory in my local paper. My ad costs $46.53/mo and brings in about 90% of my business. (Including the many repeat clients who found me there.)
http://goo.gl/5WxhO Here's the one who screwed me.

What about stray college/HS students who want moolah before school?

You have HD cut wood for you? Ay Chihuahua! Estan muy despacio. Condolencias, mi amigo. They could have had one of the strays hanging out at the corner of the parking lot do it for them that day, huh?
-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)
Hopefully they don't charge you for seriously dud leads as shown in some of the horror stories I've seen.

There is a purpose for paper after all!

WhaHo! That looks baaad! Hopefully they didn't take too much.

I can't offer them the Corporate Presidency that they feel befits their talent and skill level. :) :)
(...)

Southern Lumber is more expensive but they do the work quickly!
--Winston

Only a little over THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS. After hearing that they guaranteed their performance with 100% of my money back if they didn't get me five times that amount of business, I got suckered into the prepaid system. It's the first and last time in my life, I hope.

I can understand a tearful smirk, but not two smileys! That's sad.

I haven't found anything of quality in HD's wood selection, or didn't in LoCal. The nearest one is being built here in GP, but it won't be open until Spring. Next closest is Phoenix, OR, about 38 miles distant. I didn't like their selection of wood. Their 2x2 selection looked like broken pretzels. It was hilarious. 6 or 8" of bow, complete with 270 degree twists, on an 8' stick. I sure wish I'd had my camera in the truck that day.
I stick to local lumberyards with local lumber, thanks. They're usually cheaper, too. Unfortunately, the crap they call "PT lumber" is just like HD's now, with maybe 1/8" of depth to the treatment. I think they're all spraying it on with no pressure treatment whatsoever now.
-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)
Ouch! Hopefully they are no longer billing you.
(...)

I can't blame 'em. Whilst a yout, I wanted to start at the top and work my way up, too.
(...)

Wadda ya gonna do. The absolute worst pieces of redwood I have ever seen in my life were sold to me by my ex favorite high end wood monger earlier this year. Twisty bent beanpole with termite holes! Ewww!

Nasty.
I dug out the remains of a PT 4x4 that had been installed soon after we bought this place. It was totally rotted with a major termite infestation. The termites had died of old age and had been replaced by a major ant farm. I sure hope the name brand PT posts I used last longer than that.
--Winston

Funny you say that. I went shopping for vendors and noticed it is like it was becoming when the economy started sliding, but squared. Not good for my confidence meter. Half moved or went under, and a portion of ones there have sites with no address, act screwy on the phone, pick and choose customers, ineffective job handling, blatant refusal of the customer being close to being right or needed.
Strange how people hold their jobs or businesses together when they don't seem to do anything. Kinda like dealing with banks now days, hey, my mom was a book keeper, they haven't a clue how to do anything or know squat in the answers department. Starting to sacred me it is.
I ran into a couple businesses that are way off the other direction and almost make you uncomfortable in all the niceness and attention. Maybe a large part of them have sharp cookie cutters as mental tools and if there isn't much of you left they fill you with non-since bull shit till you give up and go away.
You know, I've done what you describe your problem is... Need at least one picture, no advice over the phone. I use to argue with customers all the time with swimming pools < I can't tell you how much till I see it.>. Been waiting on the outcome of the concrete pumping idea. I'd almost pay to watch. I suspect it would be up there like the time I saw what a excavator does to about a foot of solid communications lines in the bottom of where the pool was going.
Think compacted ground slate if no pictures.
SW
Sunworshipper wrote:
(...)
(Snip weird counterproductive vendor behavior)
I don't get it either. It's like they are screaming "Keep your money, we don't want it!"

I haven't experienced that yet. :)

I'd be happy to eMail them a picture. No prob. They just don't wanna talk at all. Weird.

Ooopsy.
Apparently, the 'mud pumping' idea works only for solid planar surfaces, like underneath a concrete slab for example. I now grok that it's not likely to result in a flat surface underneath pavers that range from 6" to 12" square.
> Think compacted ground slate if no pictures.
The landing is only concave by about 3/4" so I'm going to shovel down to adobe and just pack wet sand into the nooks and crannies using my piece of 1" solid bar and my fancy new 8" square manual compactor. I'll set the top of two conduit guides at grade minus one paver thickness and back - fill with compacted sand.
After I screed and vacuum off the excess, I should be ready to extract the conduit and place the pavers back on to the flat sand. I figure about 5 bags worth of sand should be sufficient.
The peripheral pavers are set on a concrete foundation so that will make a good height reference for the conduit.
This'll be fun in that I will learn new stuff. This won't be fun in the physical activity department. :)
--Winston

Aack! I must have misread your earlier posts. Yes, mud-jacking is for much larger paving units, like sections of sidewalk or big cast-concrete pavers.
--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress wrote:
(...)

Mud *jacking*. Yes. I didn't indicate the size of the pavers so shame on me for not playing fair. :)
--Winston

More effective and more satisfying than going to the gym.
Rather than dead level, shoot for a little bit of crown on the sand bed.
Ecnerwal wrote:

'Way cheaper, too!

I have to match the height of the existing peripheral pavers that are on a concrete foundation. The crown would be an excellent idea if I weren't constrained thusly.
Who knows? I might find this so rewarding that I end up taking it apart and putting it together every year or so just for the heck of it. :)
--Winston

Oui, monsieur.

Meh. I hope you stocked at least 3 tubes of BenGay, sir.

Screed it 2' and lay pavers. Then take a break. Screed 2 more and lay it, stand and stretch. Rinse, repeat.

Yeah, it will be.

Start smearin' that jello, er, BenGay...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhwF2d8QyvU

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Larry Jaques wrote:
(...)

It's only work. It don't scare me none.
(...)

Kewl!
I'm gonna regret removing the Jacuzzi!
--Winston

I want to hear this next weak. (mizpeling intentional/illustrative)

Frequent breaks relieve the aching lower back and knees (sand, screeding, and pavers) and upper arm and shoulder (tamper, screeding, and pavers) muscles.
While we're at it, drop by an upholstery shop and see if he has any 6x7" scraps of 1/8 or 1/4" foam (landau or headliner) for you. Use them to add half an inch of padding to your knee pads, which you put on before you leave the house. You will terrorize your knees, too. Otherwise, it's exercise and helps keep you fit.

Well, you couldnt' find helpers, but you can find an inexpensive masseuse/masseur to come to your home afterward and reduce the number of triple muscle spasms down to a bearable level. <knowing grinne>
-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Larry Jaques wrote:

Yup. It will be pitiful. :)
(...)

I've got some Lexus level kneepads that'll serve ah reckon.
(...)

Wow this is gonna be fun!
--Winston

I was just given some of those by a client. Almost an inch of padding and rubber on the outside. It might be the type I need for climbing in the attic. My HF pads are great, with ABS "kneecaps", but those wouldn't work in the high places. I'd have a knee through the ceiling in under a minute with the hard, slick caps.

Well, YOU wanted new experiences, didn't you? ;) Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it!
-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Last time I was on this thread this post wasn't here and just parts of it included with other's comments...
The sand will compact more with moving water, the slate won't.
The picture(s) would be for me to help you out. Really confused on who or whom is doing, going to do, or has the contract, but good luck.
SW
Sunworshipper wrote:
(...)

The net is very asynchronous.

That is what I was thinking as well. I want future failures to be very gradual. (All hardscape fails eventually. It's a question of 'when' and 'how', not 'if'.)
One of my otherwise very knowledgeable friends suggested that I toss some blue rock in as the first layer. That dog won't hunt because my worst nightmare would be to have the interlocking stone give way into a cavity whilst someone is standing on the landing. We have a lot of water flowing above and below ground, even with a very nice French drain system in place. Erosion is an issue.

I think I have an adequate game plan. I've been modifying pallets to carry sections of the landing pavers for storage so that placement is easier. I've spent more time boring you guys with this OT subject than is reasonable.

I'll be doing all the work because the 'reasonably priced' folks either disappear or don't return calls and the 'unreasonably priced' folks want an astonishing amount of money as part of a contract for an awe-inspiring amount of money.
Thanks!
--Winston

Truth!
It makes you wonder, sometimes, whether these 'reasonably priced' folks are working for the unreasonable folks, doesn't it?
"Hey, I'll pay you $100 to prep these turkeys for me..."
-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Larry Jaques wrote:
(...)

Why not? I did it for 35 years.
:)