OT: Nail Polish

Does anyone know what I can thin nail polish with? I just got an airbrush, to get back into model building, (styrene car kits), and noticed there are a lot of very cool colors available.

Reply to
steve walker

Acetone. I'd probably choose a less-dissolving than nail polish for polystyrene models. I still have a shelf full of little tanks and boats I did when I was younger.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

The acrylic paints made for airbrushing come in a lot of colors, too, and would be a lot less of an explosion hazard. You can thin those with water. The acetone in the nail polish is going to dissolve those kit parts and the nail polish will probably gum up the brush. The right stuff only runs a buck or two a jar unless you get into the flake metallics and pearls. Airbrush Action magazine runs how-to articles and just had a series on doing car kits.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

Thanks. Any on-line paint suppliers that you would recommend? I've found quite a few, but would prefer a recommendation. There are no hobby shops near where I live, and the auto paint suppliers don't handle small ounce quantities.

Reply to
steve walker

On Fri, 07 May 2004 01:05:45 GMT, "steve walker" brought forth from the murky depths:

is good, with good prices. I haven't tried either of the following, but they have good reps.

I picked up a HF airbrush ($4.99 on sale) eons ago and never tried it. I saw their ad and found some 2 oz. acrylic paints at Michael's today for 49¢ each and thought I'd give them a try on the cheap. They're not airbrush paints, but a couple bucks worth won't hurt me if the pigments aren't fine enough. We'll see. Try

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

But dealers might. Think "touch up paint". But I think I'd only do this for a color I "had to have", and hang onto the wallet...

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

I've just bought most of what I have off the shelf at the local art supply. I've lived out where there aren't any specialty suppliers, so I know where you're coming from. See if you can get a sample of Airbrush Action magazine , they've got a lot of mailorder suppliers in there,

One mailorder outfit I've dealt with is Dixie Art Supply,
in New Orleans, had fast shipping and took oddball special-order requests. They carry a fairly wide variety of paints. Createx seems to be a good line.

One nifty gizmo they used to catalog(haven't checked lately) is the Paasche Air Eraser. Built along the lines of their airbrushes but it's like a miniature sand blaster. Lots of uses for that in the shop besides the decorative glass etching it was primarily intended for. Was pretty cheap, too, as these specialty items go. As a plus, all the airbrush accessory handles fit it.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer