OT - NASA Team Flies First Laser-Powered Aircraft

From

:

"The team has developed and demonstrated a small-scale aircraft that flies solely by means of propulsive power delivered by an invisible, ground-based laser. The laser tracks the aircraft in flight, directing its energy beam at specially designed photovoltaic cells carried onboard to power the plane's propeller."

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

I bought a photovoltaic powered electric model plane from Edmund Scientific several years ago. The only difference in it and the one NASA built is that the solar cells are on the top of the plane, and it is powered by sunlight. Nothing new here, move along.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Well, it's definitely not as exciting as what I was thinking of when I saw the link - laser launched spacecraft. It does eliminate the problem solar powered craft face - storing enough energy on board to stay aloft at night.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Very good point. I always love that, what happens at night ? You get half a day for free and they want night just as easy.

Reply to
Sunworshiper

Next they need to try a dual powered aircraft, sun/laser. A lot of solar cells on top of the wings, a lesser number below. It would allow lesser power at night to keep the craft aloft or to land at night in an emergency.

Reply to
Nick Hull

NOAA already has an extended duration solar powered UAV that can operate at 90,000 feet called Helios. 10 props spread over 247' of solar cell covered wing. They have kept one up for about 60 hours using fuel cells to maintain altitude at night. The next model will use liquid hydrogen to power the fuel cell and should have a range of about 2 weeks.

After drill> >

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 06:59:08 -0400, Tom Quackenbush wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

OT/OT

I have just read about a plane that will be lifted by helium cells to a great height, then glide to earth (presumably at some remote location). It has turbo-fan generators to make power as it drops. It sounds like a lovely idea.

Tell me why I should not feel suss about the energy equations in all of this. There was strong feeling pf "free lunch" in the article.

****************************************************************************************** Whenever you have to prove to yourself that you are not something, you probably are.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email !!

Reply to
Old Nick

I just read the link... We use to play with rubber band planes in huge huge AF hanners. Totally open space , we couldn't rig them up enough to get to the end. 3/4 of the way. BTW shooting pigeons was fun.

I think about this stuff all the time. Watch out , it's soon to come. Hanging out above a mil. + city and taking real time pictures in high resolution + all the intersection cameras to conferm... Stop bank robberies , Track down about anything serious or not.

Privacy? LOL Think we'll get to see it all ,or afford it, or have time. Every car at a bank at that time leaving could be traced to its home... No need to chace .

Sad , but I really think its soon on the way.

We get GOOD traffic reports and all the sheeple smile saying what a good deed.

Reply to
Sunworshiper

Actually a light craft was already flow years back by a professor at RPI Leike Myribo (the spelling is off) It was supposed to use the SDI (starwars) 5 gig lasers to get into orbit. They never built the lasers after the USSR fell. Leike is still doing research into this though and has been shown flying this double trumpet shaped craft on the discovery channel. so its the SSDD

David

Reply to
David