OT proper way to kill a chicken

Reminded me of my brother putting up chickens in the freezer. Picture this. He lived next door to a fast food joint with a lot of picnic tables for lunching in the outdoors.

Around lunch time he had over a dozen chickens and started chopping off heads and releasing them. The headless chickens raced around the yard, blood spurting, and tumbling randomly. White chickens were half red when they quit running. None got off the property but when he finished he noticed that the picnic tables were empty.

Actually two nails driven half way into the chopping block that are far enough apart for the neck and too small for the head to fit through works pretty well. You can stretch the neck out so you get the most meat and keep the fingers out of range. Chop on the nail side opposite of the head.

This reminded me of another incident. My mother complained to my dad that he was leaving too much neck with the head. The next batch came in with eyeballs but without the beak. There were no more complaints.

Reply to
Unknown

We did in a bantam chicken once that (after its head was off) took off and flew around in circles about 6 feet off the ground. Just for a bit...

Steve

JR North wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

I did think for a moment, about using my 1 uF 22 kV capacitors, of which I have three left. The chicken would not only get killed, but also fried at the same time.

Ignoramus7121

I helped the neighbor lady kill some geese and chickens one time. I grabbed the doomed bird and got it's legs and wings pinned, you can grab both wings in one hand near their base, and the legs in the other, doomed bird then held over bucket, nice lady then took butcher knife and cut birds head off, lowered bird into bucket somewhat so it wasn't spaying blood all over until spasms stopped. This method, as it was explained to me, was used so that the bird didn't go flopping around and bruising the meat.

Reply to
whiskers69

I've wondered if this would work..=20 Attach a large bore needle to a compressed air gun.. Slip it under the skin of the (dead) critter and turn it on.. As it inflates, the skin automatically separates from the body.. Keep it up long enough, and you don'r even need to cut it open :-)

-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Reply to
Doug Warner

Ignoramus7121 wrote in news:MSH9g.48387$ snipped-for-privacy@fe43.usenetserver.com:

We always just used a block of wood on end....and an axe. Some neighbors just wrung the necks. They will run around for a while after you chop the head off or even wring the neck.

Reply to
Anthony

LOL!

- I wonder if this was the guy... ?

- I once upon a time was Navy Seabees and we were on winter maneuvers with the 10th Mountaineering Division in February to Camp Drum, Watertown, NY. - Night time one night, in our snow holes they give us live chickens to kill, dress out and eat. Sure enough, some joker, chomps on his chicken's neck to gross us out.

- Forgot about that. You did your Bob Hope duty!

- Thanks for the memories,

- Kurt

==================== re:

Re: OT pr-

---------------(snipped)---------

- Method #4 "Cletus Method"

- Its actually fairly easy to do, and can make you some serious money in bar bets.

- Gunner

Reply to
Metal Man

Um, did they want you to eat uncooked chicken?

I suppose that plucking chicken without scalding them first, is not as easy.

Ignoramus29705

The really good geeks will put the entire chicken head in their mouths and bite it off. Most simply bite it off from the side.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

And, wear old clothes. It can be a bit messy. :)

Reply to
Dave Lyon

LOL!

I guess I'll have to keep that in mind......

I heard a story once about a poultry farm that was in trouble from the EPA. It seems they were throwing their dead chickens out back, and was creating a bit of a stink. I'm not sure what the proper method of disposal for a large poultry farm is, but this particular one started raising gators. :)

Reply to
Dave Lyon

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked! "The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still only worth $1.....but I am entitled to "MY" opinion... ~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }

Reply to
Roy

My uncle was an ordinance intellgence officer during Korea. They made "self-cleaning rat traps", involving a primed shell and some sort of release mechanism. The rat would go for the bait inside the shell, trip the mechanism, and the charge would detonate, killing and removing the rat. He said you could always tell nte new guys because they'd jump when the rat traps would go off.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Is that an issue? Thomas Edison didn't think so.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

One way I've heard that's not been mentioned yet (the wrist flick being the best, quickest way if you just want to get rid of it):

Hang the chicken by its feet over a bucket. Using a straight razor or similarly sharp implement, slit the entire beak lengthwise and let it drain into the bucket...

Reply to
glyford

Here's another 2 methods that haven't been mentioned before. Both avoid the blood spurting dance which often leads to bruised meat in addition to the bloodbath.

  1. Hang the chicken by it's feet, head down. Using a small pocket knife reach into the throat and slit the jugular. The chicken will bleed out with no fuss, no muss. I never managed to do this so I can't give any explicit instructions but I've seen it done hundreds of times.

  1. This one I mastered. Hold the chickens head upside down on a support surface. Open it's mouth and insert a large flat bladed screwdriver into the cleft in the roof of the mouth. Push it into the brain and twist. Instant death with no thrashing.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher