OT proper way to kill a chicken

One of my hens startted eating eggs, and I finally caught one (and marked her), now I would like to know the proper way to kill a
chicken. Any ideas? Sorry for the OT post.

Put it in a pen by itself, fatten it up good. When the bird has reached the proper weight, chop off the head with an axe, let the carcass flop around the yard for a few minutes, pluck off the feathers, and gut the bird. (at least that is how my mom did it years ago!) Baking or frying decisions I will leave up to you! Greg
You hold the hapless fowl to the block with your left hand, and whack it's head off with a hatchet. Try to miss your hand. Then, let it go, and marvel at the chicken's autonomous nervous system in action. It will run around quite well for a few seconds (possibly looking for it's head). Not recommended for squeamish pansies. JR Dweller in the cellar
Ignoramus7121 wrote:

JR North wrote:

This is the preferred method, but it doesn't always work:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_the_headless_chicken

Mom had a stump with a length of bailin' wire attached to it. Th' other end would be twisted a few wraps around th' impending chicken supper's foot. After she whacked it's head off it wouldn't get very far away.
Snarl

Reminded me of my brother putting up chickens in the freezer. Picture this. He lived next door to a fast food joint with a lot of picnic tables for lunching in the outdoors.
Around lunch time he had over a dozen chickens and started chopping off heads and releasing them. The headless chickens raced around the yard, blood spurting, and tumbling randomly. White chickens were half red when they quit running. None got off the property but when he finished he noticed that the picnic tables were empty.
Actually two nails driven half way into the chopping block that are far enough apart for the neck and too small for the head to fit through works pretty well. You can stretch the neck out so you get the most meat and keep the fingers out of range. Chop on the nail side opposite of the head.
This reminded me of another incident. My mother complained to my dad that he was leaving too much neck with the head. The next batch came in with eyeballs but without the beak. There were no more complaints.
We did in a bantam chicken once that (after its head was off) took off and flew around in circles about 6 feet off the ground. Just for a bit...
Steve
JR North wrote:

And, wear old clothes. It can be a bit messy. :)

There are several...
Method #1 Capture chicken in whatever way suits your fancy. Pass neck of chicken between left arm and left ribs (yours, not the chicken's), with head forward, in sort of a "headlock" type position. Grasp head of chicken firmly with right hand, brace left arm to prevent passage of entire chicken, and pull hard and quick with right hand to break the neck. A twist is often applied, but is generally considered optional. (reverse sides if you're a southpaw) Warning: Best done outside, since, until you've done the deed a few times, it's easy to apply too much force and decapitate the chicken in the process, causing a bloody mess. Experienced operators can and do break the neck bloodlessly, but first timers can find themselves wondering what went wrong.
Alternate method: Capture chicken. Grasp head of chicken *VERY* firmly in right hand, make an authoritative "whip-crack" motion with right hand. Again, an outside job, since "excess authority" can result in decapitated chicken and bloody mess.
Alternate method #2: Retrieve kindling hatchet, meat cleaver, machete, or similar chopping tool, capture chicken, place chicken's neck across block of wood, apply chopping tool with sufficient force to separate head from chicken. Warning: This should take place outside, in a fairly unused area, since there will likely be copious bleeding.
Alternative method #3: Load shotgun - 12 or 20 gauge - with #7 - #8 birdshot. capture and restrain chicken in a human-safe manner, against a shotgun-safe backstop. Target chicken's head from close range, disengage shotgun safety, pull trigger. Hearing protection optional but recommended, and definitely do this outside.
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,

Method #4
"Cletus Method"
http://www.whangdoodle.us/interviews/geek.htm
Its actually fairly easy to do, and can make you some serious money in bar bets.
Gunner
The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.
In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.
Theodore Dalrymple,
LOL! - I wonder if this was the guy... ? - I once upon a time was Navy Seabees and we were on winter maneuvers with the 10th Mountaineering Division in February to Camp Drum, Watertown, NY. - Night time one night, in our snow holes they give us live chickens to kill, dress out and eat. Sure enough, some joker, chomps on his chicken's neck to gross us out. - Forgot about that. You did your Bob Hope duty! - Thanks for the memories, - Kurt
===================re:
Re: OT proper way to kill a chicken Group: rec.crafts.metalworking Date: Sun, May 14, 2006, 6:32pm (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@lightspeed.net (Gunner)
- ---------------(snipped)--------- - Method #4 "Cletus Method" http://www.whangdoodle.us/interviews/geek.htm - Its actually fairly easy to do, and can make you some serious money in bar bets. - Gunner

Um, did they want you to eat uncooked chicken?
I suppose that plucking chicken without scalding them first, is not as easy.
On Mon, 15 May 2006 10:06:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Metal Man) wrote:

The really good geeks will put the entire chicken head in their mouths and bite it off. Most simply bite it off from the side.
Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.
In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.
Theodore Dalrymple,
Thanks Don, I like method #1. For method #2, maybe a video would be good to make of the process. This one chicken is 2 years older than the rest and is relativel antisocial.

As I recall, egg eating is a symptom of lack of calcium in the diet. Are your hens gettng sufficient calcium in the form of oyster shell, etc?
Paul

Yes, I have a big bag of oyster shells and give them to the hens, it is not helping. Besides, their feed is supposed to contain calcium.

. Press chicken down against the ground, while holding in that position, gently touch top of chicken head and slide your right index finger slowly down over beak and forward about six inches. Repeat this hypnotic motion until the chicken is completely still. Then take an axe and chop off it's head. This method is slower than others suggested here, but less messy since the blood from a chicken with it's head cut off is vast. Do this outside. In the barnyard. But then... if you had a barnyard... you would already know this. So do it in the kid's sand box!
If I squeeze the neck very tight as I chomp off the head, would I still get all blooded and messy? Or would I be able to restrict passage of blood?

I donno! The way a chicken flops and runs around with no head I don't think I would want to try hold onto one!! Greg
My grandmother's method was to reach down grab the chicken by the head and flip it in a tight circle. Takes about 2 seconds but then she had a lifetime of practice.
Cheers,
Kelley
On Sun, 14 May 2006 15:18:04 GMT, Ignoramus7121