OT request for post from years back

Some years ago, someone posted a long diatribe put down. I believe it was written by an English gentleman over his dissatisfaction with his telephone provider? It was a wonder put down and used not a single swear word. I was sure I'd saved that, but cannot find it, nor have I been able to Google it. I'm guessing it was 3-5 years ago? I'm pretty sure it was posted here. Anyone remember what I'm talking about and have a copy saved?

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

klewan70

According to Jon Anderson :

Look for Logan's regular FAQ pointer posting, and find the pointer to the original FAQ for the group (somewhere in the Southwest, IIRC). Go there, and check around a bit. there are archives of everything from the beginning of rec.crafts.metalworking and ending about three years ago.

The early ones are single files. As time goes on, they are spit into multiple files (three per year for the latest ones), and compressed with varying algorithms as time goes past.

Be warned, however (if you are on a Windows box), that there are about three copies of one of the usenet viruses in one year's collection.

Download them (they are *big*, so it takes a while), uncompress them, and then look through them with some kind of pager ("less" or "more" with unix -- whatever works with the OS of your choice -- but avoid using OE on them, if you are on Windows, or you are still likely to get infected. :-)

I hope that the one you are looking for is before they stopped archiving. (The FAQs themselves have not been updated for many years, as (I presume) whoever set it up originally has long retired, and the archiving probably stopped when they retired the news server doing the archiving.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

This?

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

:) :) :) :) :)

Reply to
Abrasha

Is this the one?

I was being charged $3.95/month for NOT having my number listed!

I asked if I could have the number listed under my roommate's name: C. Narrowgauge. They said that is fine, as long as someone by that name actually lives there, which I assured them he does.

So now when telemarketing calls at dinner time asking for Mr. Narrowgauge, I tell them "He's busy just now, I'll have him call you when he is done licking himself"

Oh yes, I should mention my roomate is a Yellow Labrador Retriever. (supposed) Sire's name was Freight Train Clyde, but Clancey ended up skinny, so I put "Clanceton Q. Narrowgauge" on his AKC papers.

One lady asked for Mr. Nuh-rowe-gosh...thought she had wrong number for a second.

Good fun, and saves ~$50/year...unless, of course, he decides to start using _his_ phone to call that cute Australian Shepard bitch in Alice Springs! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Ah, I do remember this one now, and it's worth saving, but I think I got this one mixed up with the one I'm looking for. The one I'm trying to find is a long diatribe with the most incredible string of creative put downs I've ever read, strung together with nary a single swear word. I do recall this one being posted here, so now I'm not sure where I got the other one... Wish I could recall even a single line, that might jog someone's memory. Sigh...

Well, thanks for trying, and I am bookmarking this one.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson