OT: Riding lawnmower problem (lotsa smoke)

Great point . Umm how can I get Errols wife to cut my grass too !!! Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Wayne Cook wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ok, that was it.

Naturally, She "didn't do *any*thing...it just started smoking!" But when I finally check the oil, it's a *quart* over.

"Oh yeah, I added some oil that day." she says.

*sigh*

So she got to fix it ;-)

She drained out a good bit of the oil, measuring as she went along. When the level was right, she fired it up. It smoked like crazy for 3 or

4 minutes and then it started clearing.

No smoke at all now :-)

However, it seems to run with a little miss about ever second-and-a-half. Haven't checked the fuel filter. Could it be that? What other damage could have been done? Runs good, just a little rough.

About getting her to cut the grass: She loves it. I never even get a chance ;-)

Thanks y'all! Dan

-----------------

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
misterpaslow

Working on these professionally and you see this a lot.

Good way to learn if she puts up with it.

Good.

Two things here. Clean/change the spark plug and or check the air filter for oil soaking. If the filter got oil on it then it'll choke the engine down making it run rough.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

So, this brings up an issue that has been confounding me for several years. When the oil level on a car dipstick hits the LOW mark, you add a quart. However, on our Deere 110 (8 HP Kohler) as well as on our Wheel Horse (16 HP Kohler), there is no way to know how much oil to add when the level is at the LOW mark. Neither the mower manual, nor the engine manual gives the information, either. It wouldn't be too much of a problem (just add a little at a time, until the level is right), except the oil filler is also the dipstick tube, so as soon as you add any oil at all, the stick comes up smeared with the new oil. Now you wait 15 minutes for it to run down, rinse, repeat.

Is there a standard amount to add with these engines, or is it an arbitrary descision on the part of the engine makers?

Joe

Yeah, my wife loves cutting the grass, too. I'm just the "fix-it boy"

(top-posted so as not to waste your time)

misterpaslow wrote:

Reply to
Joe

Unfortunately this varies from engine to engine and I've never taken the time to figure it out. I do know that the older style Briggs and Tech push mower engines take exactly 1/2 quart to fill from empty. The older style 11HP Briggs engines took 1 1/4 quarts to fill. But the new engines are all over the place.

It's difficult but not impossible to read the dipstick while you're filling it. You just have to be fast about putting it in there and getting it back out. Once out you hold it horizontal so that the oil that wiped on the side of the stick doesn't run down as fast. Usually you can find the place where the oil level is on one side of the stick or the other. Of course this isn't as accurate as when you wait the 15 minutes but it'll get you much closer before you have to wait.

I believe on your 16HP Kohler that you'll find it takes about 4-6 ounces to bring it up. I know it takes more than I expect it to take to bring my 16HP Kohler up to full so it might even be more than that.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

container of oil supplied by the manufacturer. In most cases, today, that would be a half liter, but I've seen them in odd sizes like 334ml etc.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Sounds like a science experiment to me. Once found document. Maybe if there is more than a qt or a pt. or such - by ounce - scribe lines or ticks. Both machines are likely different.

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I'm reminded of the radical feminist I used to live with who could do anything a man could, better. Except kill a bug, start a lawn mower, change a tire, rig a fish tank, and now I don't recall what all else she would call me to do for her.

Reply to
J. Clarke