OT: shop break-ins update

Like I said, I can't shoot people for taking stuff. My mind don't work that way. This place is a rabbit warren and is hard to sweep safely. My engineer Roger, on the other hand did teach a combat shooting course for years after 'Nam and actually killed two attackers in a life threatening situation in his building. But he says: "Hire a security firm and do what you do best." What I guess would be the ideal would be to have these thieves caught and they would be forced to do landscaping, painting and wash my car. I'm thinking homeless or kids...they took a bunch of miss-matched Chinese wrenches and had to move 3 electronic calipers out of the way and left them behind.

I had the ADT guy in here again and he was no real help, just wanted mo' money. Short term, I have a guard company doing internals every few hours and drive arounds and ADT will contact them for alarm events and these guys are off-duty cops.

Long term, I'm going to dump ADT and build or buy a new system and hire a new monitor. ADT had their chance to please me and they were...arrogant.

I get to buy a WHOLE BUNCH of new tools!!! Aren't you all jealous???

Reply to
Tom Gardner

||Long term, I'm going to dump ADT and build or buy a new system and hire a ||new monitor. ADT had their chance to please me and they were...arrogant.

The only thing I have ADT is the stickers. Those seem to ward off most types of evil spirits.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Genius! "honey, i HAVE to spend all this money, my old tools were stolen" she can't say nothing 'bout that! : )

walt ps. seriously, no one was hurt, you can buy new tools, good luck!

Reply to
wallster

No names, but the very best alarm company I have ever worked with was criminally negligent; you should have seen the worst!

Go by and see your local 2-way radio shop that contracts to install stuff in police cars. Somewhere, perhaps in a dusty corner, they will have an old 100 watt electronic siren and a speaker horn. Offer them $20.00. Install that stuff with a relay to your alarm system and mount the speaker up high INSIDE your shop. With that siren wailing way past the pain threshold, nobody will be able to stay in there long enough to steal much.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

When ADT had the big push on here, a neighbour borrowed one of their flower garden signs and put it out hoping to discourage sales staff, no luck, the sales supervisor threatened to have him charged with theft because "the sign still belongs to ADT" Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Hmmm, leave your air compressor on all the time? (Or, was that stolen, too?) I have had the experience of firing up a set of air horns inside, once. Just rig a set of air horns inside the shop, with a solenoid valve to turn them on. I guarantee anybody will drop whatever they are carrying so they can get their hands over their ears as they exit quickly!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Years ago, there was a company selling large ultrasonic transducers and they suggested they could be used for a "pain field generator". I remember thinking that it would be interesting to see if they could do that.. an invisible, inaudible source of intense pain.

WB .....................

were...arrogant.

Reply to
Wild Bill

Bypass the door switches on a few microwaves and point them in strategic directions......

In fact, that's a great idea... because that's what the military's new nonlethal pain field gun thing is.

Tim

Tim Williams

I DO have a bigass siren in the shop, I also have hearing muffs on most machines. The nearest neighbor is about 150 yards away and doesn't seem to call the cops.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I always thought something similar to this would work great for a car alarm, one speaker outside the vehicle, the other inside. How long can you stand the noise?

Rick

Reply to
RJ