OT-Simple Math Question

4/2+3=5

Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

Stolen from this week's "Car Talk" Puzzler.

See how quickly you can create a balanced equation using just just one each of the digits 2,3,4 and 5 along with one "+" sign and one "=" sign?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Well, seeing as it says you can't use OTHER signs. 3-2+4=5

Reply to
Todd Rich

C'mon, where did you get that minus sign from?

That's not the answer.

Try again using just the six characters I listed, and only once each.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

2 3 = 5 + 4

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Sorry, it looked like brain teasers from when I was a kid where it gives you an instruction set, but doesn't limit you to those instructions in an attempt to get you to 'think outside the box'. And as what you had posted did not prevent you from adding other symbols I added one. Since you have clarified that isn't allowed, read the other reply that the nice other gentleman left. Todd

Reply to
Todd Rich

Probably a trick question

4+5=3 with the 2 superscripted to mean 3 raised to the 2nd power or 3 squared aka 9.

Jay the pig

Reply to
JJ

2+5=3+4
Reply to
Jim Levie

Uh, 2+5=3+4 .. duh ..

Reply to
Grant Erwin

2=/1

That is, they said *one* plus sign.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Cute.

:)

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Duh yourself. I see 2 (count em two ) + in your try. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

45=23+
Reply to
wws

5+2=3+4 7 = 7

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I will lay odds that is the correct answer. In fact, I am so sure I just e-mailed it into Car Talk. :-)

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

That makes two plus signs.

Reply to
John Keeney

Nice! Reminds me, by the way, of a cute limerick:

(12 + 144 + 20 + 3 * sqrt(4)) / 7 + 5 * 11 = sqr(9) + 0

-tih

Reply to
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:16:07 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore" calmly ranted:

2 + 3 = 45 in "the new Liberal math", where everyone is right and everyone feels good. Look OUT, engineering schools.

-- Like they say, 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name. ------------------------------------------------------

Lawyer-free Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques
2+3=5

This uses >

Reply to
Robert Swinney

That's the one I came up with on my own too.

But hey! I just thought of another one more appropriate to the newsgroup.

3-2=5-4

Achieved by using whatever tools need to be brought to the party to disassemble the fasteners at the intersection of the two pparts of the "+" to get two "-" signs.

Another mammary awakened in me...

Remember when "New Math" came into being? IIRC 'twas in the 60s.

Tom Lehrer said it in song.

It's a 4.2 meg download, but worth it if you've got the speed and time:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia