OT Sneaky Ebay practice

I think some one on Ebay is using a sneaky practice to get the maximum price. But I do not know how to prove it.

I bid on an item and only one other person bid on the same item. And they bid more than I had decided to pay. But right after the auction closed, I got a second chance offer to buy at my max bid limit because the winner had retracted his bid. Ebay rules prohibit retracting the bid unless the seller agrees to the retraction.

This is what I think occurred. The seller saw that no one except me was interested in the item and so got a shill to bid. And then agreed to the retraction of the shill's bid after the auction ended. And then gave me a chance to buy at the highest price I would pay for the item.

By the way, Ebay say the person ( or shill ) has never bought anything on Ebay. And the seller has 9 feedbacks , all positive. All in the last two months and 4 of them for things purchased.

Is there any way to find out how many second chance offers a seller has made?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

it is possible.

however, I sometimes make second chance offers w/o ant shill bidding involved.

Ignoramus30106

Yup! I bought a printer cartridge that way. After the purchase, I received a second 'second chance' offer at my maximum price. It was still a good bargain in relation to full retail so I have mixed feelings about giving the guy money.

Guess I will bid lower next time. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I think that they have multiple items, and when one sells, they send second chance offers down the line.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

When I get 2nd chance offers, I only agree to pay the minimum increment over the next highest offer. Which is what I would have paid if the high bidder hadn't bid at all. In the OP's case, this would be the opening price, since there were only 2 bidders.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I was shocked to hear a co-worker admit to pulling that stunt using his and his wifes accounts.

Wes

Wes