Price of Autolock Chucks?

I've been watching various auctions on ebay for 40Int collet chucks and so forth, and after a recent offer from a customer I should soon have a shed load of stuff for the Beaver, but something I have a watch on has suddenly gone through the roof, and the bidder and seller's user names look awfully alike:

The guy who has chased the price up has only been on ebay since - today.

Shill bidding?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Looks remarkably like it. A little email to Ebay might be in order here.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Is it really shill bidding when the shill ends up as the high bidder?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Looks exactly like how an inexperienced ebayer (zero fb) bids, nothin

suspiciou

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

I sent one off just after posting to the newsgroup.

I can't see why it's so obvious, unless they really think nobody will notice...

Peter

Peter A Forbes

2 scenarios: 1) Some other bidder bids more & wins. 2) The shill bidder wins, and "fails to pay"; the seller then offrers a second chance to the next highest bidder, whose bid (& therefore his second chance price) has been artificially inflated by the shill bidder.

Either way, the seller gets more than he should have done.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

No, but it hasn't finished yet....

It doesn't sit right at all, I am frankly puzzled!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Dunno, you might be right or you might just be getting paranoid It looks 'as new' from the pics, and a new one is over 300 quid in the J&L book so 80-odd quid isn't a bad price for someone who needs one. The underbidder had already bid 80 quid, so if you had wanted it you would have had to beat that anyway.

I've bought a couple of things in the past where I reckon there's been a shill bidder, I still got the item for less than I was willing to pay so didn't loose too much sleep over it.

Cheers Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

I don`t see anything odd about the bidding.A guy with feedback of

280+bid it to =A380 yesterday,a new guy comes along today and starts bidding low until he comes out on top.I have a load of various autolocks and I find they are never used unless you want to hold a seriously big cutter or a machine is being set up semi permanent on a job.Easier to use an ER or DA collet chuck and change collets only if you`re going from cutter to drill etc.I would go as far as say autolocks have had their day,very rarely will you see one on a machining centre.If you`re stuck for an autolock Peter give me a shout and I`ll see what I have. regards,Mark.
Reply to
mark

I assume that the seller was worried that the chuck hadn't got to the price that he expected. His feedback, particularly the negs he has had and sent, is interesting.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Oops!Just noticed the sellers and the bidders names are remarkably similar. regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark

Too right Mark. Many of the newer series of cutters, especially carbide don't have the thread for a Clarkson. Cutters that do are at a premium.

What I find funny is the frenzy on something that isn't even described correctly.

Is this a INT 30 or INT40 taper? I'd like to know for definite before shelling this sort of coin out. Remember WNT is selling BT40 to ER32's for £29.00 less VAT, probably get three for the price of this one.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

That's one of the things that struck me, and I mentioned this in my email to ebay.

There were brand new Autolocks going last year and the guy couldn't get £40 for them, mainly as he had incorrectly described them so I bought a couple :-))

This auction is going way past that with a bum description.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Except that the bidder's name and the sellers name are very similar, the bidder is a very new ebay buyer etc etc.

If I was a genuine seller I'd be worried by that, and his own feedback is then than holy.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Pananoia is a wonderful thing sometimes :-)) and there are plenty of other Clarksons on ebay anyway. Wait and see what ebay comes up with.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

If anyone uses Firefox as their browser (& you should) , there's a brilliant little (about 20K) extension for it called "EbayNegs". Right click on the page you are interested in & it'll bring up a new tab(page) just with the negative feedback for that seller. It saves messing about scrolling through pages of positive & neutral feedback just to find the negatives. Seeing all the negs together enables you to make a much more informed decision as to the reliability of the vendor. I thoroughly recommend it - the Amazon button extension is a useful one as well, if anyone has a teenage daughter...

jrlloyd