OT: Software and don't believe the bastards

Finding that the world of software is something akin to the world of the snake oil vendors. I've been using POVRay for several years, it's a pain in the butt to use, but will do almost everything I could want it to, except humans. Making a human with POV will come up with the most homely woman you would ever not want to meet. Ok, poser is supposed to be the "hot thing" for that. which is all it's good for, there are a lot of archectural props available for it, just don't think you're going to put a light in a building without leaving at least one wall off. Not really a high buck item, but disgusting to spend some $150 and find out that the piece of crap is good for one thing only, not worth anything for anything else. The documentation and file system in poser are also nightmares, lots of advanced crap in the book, but NO basics, and figures, man, dog, or building is spread out in at least three different directories, and damn little help on finding out where to put them.

Somehow, it reminds me of micro$oft. You get installation instructions, and for "Only the low sum of $999.99 plus tax, we'll tell you how to use it." The techie at Poser tells me that it's supposed to be a "stand alone", meaning not needing another program to complete a scene, but now I know better. Guess that's what happens when you believe the accolades on their website.

In case you're wondering, I want to put the light source in a kerosene lamp, on a table, inside a log cabin, and have it behave like the light from a kerosene lamp would, meaning spherical illumination from the light source. Poser will ONLY allow putting a spot light inside a structure, and that's totally useless. 160 degree maximum illumination angle from the spot doesn't come anywhere close to spherical.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

James P Crombie

If their programming works like their evaluation download site does, I'll pass. Ten minutes and only an ocasional blink of the activity indicators. That's a high enough buck that if I jumped for it, I think I'd jump for 3dsMax and bypass the rest. Max will do it, but 3 kilobucks is a bit steep for just putting some of my ideas so I can actually see them.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

being as this is a metalworking newsgroup, you migth want to make a real metal lamp and use it instead??

Reply to
jim

I sometimes use it to see how things are going to go together before I make them. works good, easier than Intellicad by a long shot. Better yet, POVRay is free, just takes about three years to learn how to use it.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker