OT: Sooner than expected!

I really didn't expect to see this in India for another 20 or 30 years... I figured the Chinese coal miners would be first; since they've been dying by the hundreds lately.

If these countries pollute enough of their own rivers, kill enough of their own miners, and beat enough of their own factory workers... they will end up with an EPA, a Bureau of Mine Safety, OSHA, and labor unions that will drive the cost of their products up, just like they did to ours. Throw in health insurance, pensions, workman's comp, unemployment insurance, and product liability insurance... and pretty soon we'll be exporting manufactured goods to them! David

Reply to
David Courtney

That link requires a login. Forget it.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Didn't for me Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Worked for me as well.

Reposted here for easy reading:

--------------------------

Honda Workers, Police Clash Again in India By RAJESH MAHAPATRA, Associated Press Writer

NEW DELHI -- Women and men armed with truncheons and stones attacked police Tuesday in an affluent New Delhi suburb where violent clashes between protesting Honda workers and police a day earlier reportedly injured 700 people.

The renewed violence came as India's Parliament erupted in chaos, with some opposition members walking out and others angrily demanding that the government take action against police officers who sparked Monday's clash.

Live television footage Tuesday showed furious women chasing police officers and pounding them with canes near a government hospital in the New Delhi suburb of Gurgaon.

Men with stones swarmed the hospital, where many of the injured were being treated, after patients complained of getting no help. There was no immediate word on casualties or arrests.

Many of the protesters were relatives of those still missing after Monday's violence, which erupted when about 1,000 angry Honda workers protested the dismissal of four colleagues in Gurgaon.

"I want to see my brother. I saw him on TV yesterday, he was one of the leaders. We don't know what happened to him after that," said Veermati, who uses a single name. "I am furious. Nobody's telling me where my brother is."

The demonstrators on Monday hurled stones at police and set fire to a police jeep, and officers waded into the crowd while swinging batons, Haryana state Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda said.

Hundreds of protesters were rounded up and forced to sit or lie on the ground in Gurgaon. Television footage showed police clubbing them with bamboo truncheons as workers pleaded and screamed. Busloads were taken away to police stations. It was unclear how the fighting started. Earlier video footage also showed workers attacking outnumbered police with wooden sticks, and one officer pleading with protesters as they hit him repeatedly.

"There was violence from both sides," Hooda told reporters. "Hundreds, including many policemen, were injured."

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh expressed "anguish" over the incident and called for an independent investigation.

On Tuesday, members of the opposition National Democratic Alliance walked out of the Lok Sabha, the powerful lower house of Parliament, in protest after Home Minister Shivraj Patil said only 92 workers and 35 police officers were injured in Monday's brawl.

"This is spine chilling. I could not have imagined that an incident like this could have happened in independent India," said Nitish Kumar, an opposition leader.

Singh's governing Congress Party, which relies heavily on support from communist parties closely associated with India's labor unions, faced allies who expressed anger at Monday's riot and blamed police.

"I want the police officers dismissed," said Gurudas Dasgupta, a senior lawmaker from the Communist Party of India-Marxist

"Even animals are not treated like this," said Devendra Prasad Yadav, leader of ruling coalition member Rashtriya Janata Dal group.

The workers were employed by Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India -- a subsidiary of Japanese auto giant Honda Motor Co. A Honda official said four workers were fired and 15 others were temporarily suspended on charges of insubordination a month ago.

Reply to
Just Me

Honda Workers, Police Clash Again in India By RAJESH MAHAPATRA, Associated Press Writer

NEW DELHI -- Women and men armed with truncheons and stones attacked police Tuesday in an affluent New Delhi suburb where violent clashes between protesting Honda workers and police a day earlier reportedly injured 700 people.

The renewed violence came as India's Parliament erupted in chaos, with some opposition members walking out and others angrily demanding that the government take action against police officers who sparked Monday's clash.

ADVERTISEMENT Live television footage Tuesday showed furious women chasing police officers and pounding them with canes near a government hospital in the New Delhi suburb of Gurgaon.

[...]

Martin H. Eastburn

Me either.

Gunner, who may have a cookie....

"This device is provided without warranty of any kind as to reliability, accuracy, existence or otherwise or fitness for any particular purpose and Bioalchemic Products specifically does not warrant, guarantee, imply or make any representations as to its merchantability for any particular purpose and furthermore shall have no liability for or responsibility to you or any other person, entity or deity with respect to any loss or damage whatsoever caused by this device or object or by any attempts to destroy it by hammering it against a wall or dropping it into a deep well or any other means whatsoever and moreover asserts that you indicate your acceptance of this agreement or any other agreement that may he substituted at any time by coming within five miles of the product or observing it through large telescopes or by any other means because you are such an easily cowed moron who will happily accept arrogant and unilateral conditions on a piece of highly priced garbage that you would not dream of accepting on a bag of dog biscuits and is used solely at your own risk.'

Reply to
Gunner

Me gottum cookie, too.

LJ, an honest guy who is female, born on 01/01/1900, likes hiking and guns, and makes over $100k/year. (I love questionnaires!) You? ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------- The more we gripe, *

longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

Reply to
Larry Jaques

105 yrs old? Damn 11/11/52, dont hike all that well, would rather ride something with hoofs or wheels, honest to a fault and slowly starving, but doing it with class, style and distinction. Riding the bronc straight up in the saddle and sometimes ducking the low branches..sometimes not.

Cathedral City? That would be way wierd. Cool..very cool..but way wierd... :)

Gunnerasch

[...]

"China relies on coal for more than two-thirds of its energy needs but accidents in the mining industry - including explosions, collapses, floods and fires - claimed 2,700 lives in the first half of 2005 alone."

"The deadliest year in U.S. coal mining history was 1907, when 3,242 deaths occurred."

"There was an all-time low 29 coal mining fatalities in 1998, compared to the previous all-time coal industry low of 30 in 1997."

David

If these countries pollute enough of their own rivers, kill enough of

Reply to
David Courtney

Give the Chinese time, they will catch up.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner