OT: Spreadsheet formula question (openoffice)

I'm coming up blank tonight. I have a table of values that I want to calculate various statistics on ranges of values.

I'm sure there is a way that I can just have a cell with row start and second cell with row ending and format that so that various functions are given the proper start and end range to calculate without me having to modify every darn function?

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
Wes

The offset function OFFSET(reference; rows; columns; height; width) and some other forms as shown at

might do what you want. Also see the example at

which works ok with the following exceptions: (1) Use oocalc's semicolon rather than excel's comma between OFFSET arguments; (2) In the 'Insert, Name, Create; choose Left Column' step, oocalc stored names _Rows and _Cols rather than Rows and Cols; (3) F5 didn't invoke the GoTo dialog referred to in the example and I don't know how to invoke it.

Anyhow, I put =sum(MyData) into a cell, and verified that the number displayed in the cell changed appropriately when I changed values of numbers in B1...B4, indicating that MyData was a dynamically calculated range.

The simpler example at

will be relevant if all you want is a name assigned to a range of cells, rather than the dynamic range supported by OFFSET.

Reply to
James Waldby

James Waldby fired this volley in news:h5adnfsHF- GAUS_XnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.com:

ACtually, he might be wanting the INDIRECT function, instead.

He said he wanted a cell (or cell pair) that would describe the beginning and ending data. INDIRECT seems well-suited to that.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Indirect worked. Btw, it was used in the link that James kindly provided.

Thanks to both of you.

Wes

Reply to
Wes