OT - State of the Nation Speech

This is way off topic, but, in watching Mr. Bush go through his apologia for 54 minutes the other night, I had the weird sensation that he was under the influence of some drug or had developed ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). Anyone else out there notice anything bizarre (aside from what he said)?

Regards,

Marv

Reply to
Marv Soloff

thats funny but when you dont like someone you can find just about anything they do to be funn or bizare... i did not find anything funny or bizarre with him....

Reply to
jim

Ah, but did you say that 5 years ago?

( I thought Clinton only was good at fooling 1/2 the population; just as I feel Bush 2 fools the other half. Now what was that saying attributed to Abraham Lincoln?)

Reply to
?

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 02:03:13 GMT, Marv Soloff brought forth from the murky depths:

I found it very odd that I was shaking my head right along with Sen. Kennedy, a Democrat. (I'm a recovering Republican who can never again, in good conscience, vote for another Rep or Dem.)

P.S: Were there 3 teleprompters in that room? I saw him looking only 3 places and never skipping a beat. I'd never seen him speak that much at once and was impressed. (Isn't that a sorry state of affairs?)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, both George McGovern and Hubert Humphrey (and most likely many more of our august leaders) were stoked up most of the time. I really don't know about Clinton - he probably got his jollies another way (!)

Regards,

Marv

? wrote:

Reply to
Marv Soloff

But he still uses very, very short words - I think about an 8,000 word vocabulary. Perhaps his supporters have problems with longer words.

Regards,

Marv

Larry Jaques wrote:

Reply to
Marv Soloff

Na. He was just trying to make the speech understandable to the Dems in the audience.

Reply to
Siggy

Aside from it's not having been a very memorable election-year "State of the Union" speech, the only thing that particularly struck me was the absence of "Bush-isms" I presume this to be the effect of beta-blockers used by many performers to prevent stage-fright.

Al Moore

Reply to
Alan Moore

The only one I really recall is from Will Rogers (I believe)

A political party can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time. That's why we have two."

Al Moore

Reply to
Alan Moore

You got to hand it to Bush..he has risen to the occasion. Where he started out a Country Boy..he has become Presidential. Lots of cares, worries, responsibility can either make or break a person. I think it made him a good prez.

Can ANYONE picture Algor in the Oval office on 9/11?

God help us all.

Gunner

" ..The world has gone crazy. Guess I'm showing my age... I think it dates from when we started looking at virtues as funny. It's embarrassing to speak of honor, integrity, bravery, patriotism, 'doing the right thing', charity, fairness. You have Seinfeld making cowardice an acceptable choice; our politicians changing positions of honor with every poll; we laugh at servicemen and patriotic fervor; we accept corruption in our police and bias in our judges; we kill our children, and wonder why they have no respect for Life. We deny children their childhood and innocence- and then we denigrate being a Man, as opposed to a 'person'. We *assume* that anyone with a weapon will use it against his fellowman- if only he has the chance. Nah; in our agitation to keep the State out of the church business, we've destroyed our value system and replaced it with *nothing*. Turns my stomach- " Chas , rec.knives

Reply to
Gunner

Nobody was in the oval office on 9/11.

Reply to
ff

nah, that was Bob Dylan :o) Greg sefton

Reply to
Bray Haven

We'd still be doing studies on the impacts and causes and blaming the old people in S. FL for the WTC bombing :o). Greg Sefton

Reply to
Bray Haven

"Bray Haven" wrote

Greg, your emoticon confuses me. Does " :o) " mean you actually believe this crap?

-- Tony P.

Reply to
tonyp

We have two winners here. Both of you are 100% correct!

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 00:09:17 GMT, "Siggy" brought forth from the murky depths:

------------------------------------------------------ No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat. ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:11:26 GMT, Gunner brought forth from the murky depths:

Please don't make jokes like that, Gunner. Someone might actually believe that.

Be careful, dude, as planting that thought might be considered a terrorist activity.

If the Shrub continues on his current track, hundreds of millions of Moslims will ensure that Allah, instead, will be helping.

Buddha help us all.

------------------------------------------------------ No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat. ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I disagree. I see three straight years of decline in overall employment numbers, and where job growth is occurring, it's in lower skilled, lower paying jobs than those that have been lost. I see that he has allowed himself to be distracted from the need to penetrate, disrupt and destroy terrorist organizations by the opportunity to destroy an already helpless enemy that was no threat at all. I see a steady increase in health care costs. Twenty years ago, hospital costs were the largest fraction, now it's pharmaceuticals, and we know we're being gouged, because the same companies sell the same pharmaceuticals for less in other countries. We know Bush is partly responsible because his administration is blocking the re-importation of those same pharmaceuticals. And it goes on and on. I can't find a single "bright spot" for the present administration. I won't say there isn't one, but at this point, it's got to be in some small, obscure department.

I'm trying to think of a less presidential president than GWB, and having trouble coming up with one. Maybe Gerald Ford -- or maybe not.

Nobody ever could. That's how come George Bush got elected -- if elected is the right word for that circus.

Al Moore

Reply to
Alan Moore

Yes, and?

[...]

So he has stopped all other investigations or efforts to disrupt and destroy terrorists organizations? Indeed? Cites.

As to the jobless figures..Im not surprised. Remember we are now coming out of the recession brought on by normal economic cycles, the implosion of the DotCom bubble and 9/11. Thats a triple whammy for any economy.

Something else to consider.. and I see this every day. Manufacturing for example, has been historicly a roller coaster ride. The companies that have survived the last 4 years of slow down, and having their industry sent south of the border or overseas, have learned to work smarter, faster, more efficently, with fewer employees. Many of those jobs will NEVER come back. Period, end program. Full stop. Its a hell of a lot cheaper to buy a VMC that makes hundreds of parts a day, then keep a dozen guys on Bridgeports turning cranks making dozens of parts a day. And the VMCs dont go union, demand medical benies, demand raises or sue the company.

We are at another economic crossroads as the economy globalizes. Take a strong look at the IT business. There are thousands of IT professionals out of work..and their jobs are never coming back, as the managment of systems has become much easier for the end user, far less complicated and far less in demand. As the buggy whip makers found out..there was a life span to their profession. There are still buggy whip makers around..but they are a hell of a lot fewer now than in 1890.

This is somehow Bush's fault?

Medical costs have been rising for 20 yrs or more. While I agree we should allow market forces to set the prices of goods, the rise in medical costs is hardly Bush's fault. Id have to say its the fault of the biggest contributor to the Dems..trial lawyers.

Your bias is noted. As is your opinion.

Sore/Loserman 2000

[...]

We agree on something for once.

Reply to