OT: stupid high tech car show

Did anyone watch that stupid car show on Discovery Channel Wednesday night. One car had reduced CO2 and CO emissions. Another had almost no net CO2 emissions. Either their emisions are all CO or magic has has taken over in the biofuel world. I guess transmutation is a possible option but personaly if I'm going to transmutate things I think I'll change lead into gold so I can afford gas. This is the same series with the Moller skycar so I guess we can tell how intelligent the writers are. I realy wish I could talk people into funding 20 years of my mistakes. fueled by beer Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

No I didn't see it. So, I don't know what they were using for fuel. If they ran on hydrogen, they should have had no COx emisions. If they ran on hydrogenated oils, or paraffin they might have had less COx emissions than if they ran on ordinary hydrocarbon fuels.

Of course there is also the issue of how one defines more or less, was it per volume, per mass, per mile, or per horsepower?

Or as you suspect, they may have just been lying.

Reply to
fredfighter

Tivo reeled it in. Fast-forwarded through it for about 30 seconds and deleted it.

Speaking of the Moller skycar, I was outraged that one of the prototypes was on display at our local aviation museum. Such silliness has no place among respectable aircraft.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Reply to
JR North

========================= Three items:

#1. Beer drinkers generally don't have enough money -- you want the Brie and Sherry crowd. Look for a house where there are a bunch of BMWs and Volvos parked. Pickups and beaters generally indicate the party participants have already spent all their spare money on the beer...

#2. Think of the building opportunities the SkyCar presents! Bunker Chic! -- My new house has a 24 inch thick reinforced concrete roof and is warranted against even a Kamikaze dive by a fully loaded "SkyBus..."

#3. I am thinking of offering a zero emissions transportation retrofit kit for say 29.99$US + SH, which also promotes good health and social interaction. Basically this would be a section of tire tread and some [genuine organic leather] thongs to make yourself some sandals. How many people think this would sell [assuming I don't give out too many details, and specify no returns unless defective]? I could also claim that it was 95% recycled material.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

------------------------------ Watch out w'en you'er gittin all you want. Fattenin' hogs ain't in luck.

Joel Chandler Harris (1848-1908), U.S. journalist. Uncle Remus: His Songs and His Sayings, "Plantation Proverbs" (1880).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

LOL!

Bank robbers have been changing lead into "gold" for a very long time...

Reply to
Eregon

I didn't see the show but biofuel CO2 calcs consider the CO2 converted by photosynthesis during the plant's life. That said, are they actually counting all the inputs? Probably not. So far, biofuel has been a green scam for blue states.

Reply to
ATP*

i saw last night's episode and while watching was thinking there would be HOWLS of ridicule on this list today. there was one (french) guy who's building little cars that run on compressed air. i dunno, maybe the producers of the tv show slanted the info or didn't understand it thoroughly (or maybe it truly was the guy building the cars) but they were saying the fuel costs "$0.00". like "it runs on air and air is free" kinda thing. oh, and they also used the term "perpetual motion machine" in their presentation for like when the compressed air runs through the engine it goes into a storage tank and can be reused to run the engine again. and that the french guy powers his air compressor (to pump up the car's tanks) with compressed air. the series is shot through with inaccuracies, it's a joke. it's kinda entertaining to watch anyhow just to sit in my recliner and think "that's wrong" "and that's wrong too" etc. i feel bad though for the people who don't know any better and are believing the stuff they're presenting.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

Regarding the "Air Car".... H'mmmm. Anyone who likes this idea should catch a glimpse of what it looks like when a high pressure tank has a catastrophic failure. I recall some photos of a divers tank failure (the diver sis not survive), and also the failure of a Nitrous tank in the trunk of a car. The car and the garage it was in were for the most part destroyed. I bet had there been a driver, he would have had his share of percussion injury in addition to numerous holes from flying debris.

No thanks..... I'll take a tank of Gasoline.

Grummy

Reply to
grumtac

Biodiesel. ATP down below says that's the way they calculate biofuels. Of course using that reasoning all IC vehicles are zero emission because oil comes from biomatter living millions of years ago. Which means by releasing this pent up biomatter I am actually promoting plant growth by increasing the primary food source of plants. Therefore i'm more green than those using biofuels. I have a horticulture professor who did some studies and found if you increase the atmospheric CO2 around a plant it grows faster. So I even have studies to prove my theroy. I really must apply for a grant to study this. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

95%? We are all made of stars...

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

do you think they be acceptable in a nice shade of sky blue? red is obviously never going to fly.

Stealth :-) Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

Actually, we had the same sort of programs when I was growing up in the '50s.

Programs like "Flash Gordon" and "Buck Rodgers" looked into the future.

Only thing is we called it "Science Fiction".

Reply to
*

Since it doesn't fly, that really isn't a problem.

I _think_ it can hover briefly under its own power if it is tethered in place for stability.

Reply to
fredfighter

Uh huh. It's RATES that matter. The carbon Nature put into fossil fuels is returned to the atmosphere, but on average, at the same rate as which the fossil fuels were made. If you dig them up and burn them, you change the rate of return but not the rate at which the carbon goes back underground.

Unfortunately, most people don't understand rates at all, and only a few more can comprehend large distance and time scales. I took a ship from Crete to Libya and one of my fellow passengers was disappointed when I explained that we would not be able to see the Greek Islands while we were crossing the Med.

Reply to
fredfighter