OT surveillance camera for a car?

My wife left her car for 5 minutes and returned, only to find a GPS stolen. I had a truck window smashed a year or two ago as well.
I would like to find a surveillance system for a car.
Requirements are:
1) 12v power supply and low power consumption 2) Unobtrusive look or, better, designed to be hidden 3) Good recording capability to a flash drive 4) NOT BULKY 5) Ability to survive 60 degrees C or so inside a vehicle.
I have looked a little and everything I found is kind of ridiculous, huge in your face things and huge tape recorders, etc.
Any suggestions?

Never leave bling in view. I keep a gps under a shirt on the passenger seat that I use every day. No see, no steal. Also, no NRA or pro gun stickers. There could be firearms inside my vehicle and I'm not advertizing.

Constant streaming to a flash device is going to burn out the cells. You need a triggering system if you want to use flash.
You need a ultrasonic glass break detector or an ultrasonic perimeter alarm. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burglar_alarm

They make small very small PC's for embedded applications. You can run them no-headed. I *assume* you will run a *nix OS. I suspect I could find a few boards in any recent copy of Circuit Cellar.

Put it in the trunk. I suspect it is cooler there since there isn't any glass. I *hope* you can deselect the inside the car trunk release. My car has a lever on the trunk lock I set when carrying arms or other valuables. That car battery is huge compared to a laptop battery. Thinking of laptop, some cheap fleabay laptop likely fills the bill. You only need enough PC to record video and even old crap has 60MB of disk. You can use a USB web cam too.

It sure sucks to be violated. Been there before but not too often.
Wes
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 17:06:08 -0500, Ignoramus6391

Lots of possibilities. These links should get you started.
http://www.supercircuits.com/Security-Cameras/Board-Cameras / http://www.supercircuits.com/Security-Cameras/Micro-Video-Cameras / http://www.supercircuits.com/Digital-Video-Recorders/Mobile-DVRs/MDVR25
Wayne

Maybe something here you could use. http://www.hobbypartz.com/gadgets.html
RogerN

I had full video from motion detecting overlapping cameras of a break-in. The guy broke through a skylight as the video shows first the cloud of dust that set off the camera then you see him drop into view and go about his thieving. I thought the police would be thrilled to have all this documentation. The cop says to me: "OK, we'll get right on it and issue an APB in the ghetto for a 20-40 year old, 140 lb Black male. You'll hear from us REAL soon!
wrote the following:

Ah, isn't it lovely to hear those words from a caring representative of your local gov't?
Were your pictures as grainy and sucky as all of those captured by the high-tech, expensive systems used in our banks, Tawm? I cannot believe the crap I've seen on TV and in the newspapers. A cell phone in the -dark- could have taken better shots than those hi-rez pics, wot? Could the banks have figured out what you just did, that the cops don't care and the system is broken, so they put only the minimum dollars into a system which isn't really utilized anyway?
Just another one of those things that make you go "Hmmmmmm?"
-- It's also helpful to realize that this very body that we have, that's sitting right here right now, with its aches and its pleasures, is exactly what we need to be fully human, fully awake, fully alive. -- Pema Chodron
What's that Lassie? You say that Larry Jaques fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Wed, 07 Jul 2010 05:11:54 -0700:

I was told once that they look fine when viewed in their native format. The conversion to NTSC or PAL messes them up.
That and over re-using tapes.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

most have switched to dvr's at this point. Quality is improving but it will be not be good enough as the sole evidence unless it gets super crisp and the perp is in view of the camera while commiting the crime.

A while back, like 2001, I was working for a guy that serviced banks. Mostly PC support but while I was with him I got a look at how how efficient the data compression was of those cameras at ATM's. The data was cached at each branch location and then sent over some damn slow links like 56K frame relay to the momma bank. He was using compression software from RealNetworks back then. Those banks squeezed their data links like they squeeze customers. ;)
Oh, the pictures were color and looked pretty good.
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 20:33:03 -0400, Wes

I see. "were" and "lookED" being the key terms, eh?
-- It's also helpful to realize that this very body that we have, that's sitting right here right now, with its aches and its pleasures, is exactly what we need to be fully human, fully awake, fully alive. -- Pema Chodron

Buerste, maybe you can post that video publicly? Maybe that would help?

And open myself up to all kinds of litigation?

What kinds of litigation?

Such as what?
Gunner
,snip>

Almost EVERY person I've fired then applies for unemployment and I have to go through hearings and appeals. Is it worth prosecuting some thuggy for a couple hundred dollars worth of tools and damage? Is it worth the possibility of same thuggy burning my factory down for revenge or hurting somebody? It wouldn't surprise me if I posted the video that I'd get sued because.......................

If you were truly afraid of having your factory burned down etc. then you for damned sure wouldn't be spewing the crap you're so fond of here. For gawds sake, you already claimed that the liberals were threatening you with bombs, but failed to post the proof of that as well.

You can't think of a single reason, yet it's the reason you won't show the video. Ridiculous.
Oh well, at least we know you can't be on the list of cullers. Too much chance of getting sued, right? Too funny.
Wayne

Do you want to see the video? Send me an e-mail or some where to send it. I'm pretty sure I still have it but I saw no use for it and it was more than a year ago. I now have armed security patrol the plant every couple of hours and we beefed-up external entry points and added more outside cameras in bullet-proof housings.
I don't believe in violence and would only use a weapon to defend my life or the lives of family and friends...unlike your violent tendencies. I guess you wouldn't understand someone with morals and a value system, no one in the leftist camp has any morals other than the ones they make up as the go along. The culling you should worry about is the separation of the sheep and the goats.

I would like to see the video.
i c h u d o v AT g m a i l . c o m
Thanks

Are you blind? My email address is at the top of every post. But if you're serious, then send it to several people whose comments you won't disparage. While you're at it, send the police report of that bomb threat story.

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked at the possibility that you would offer something you're already making excuses for not having.

Do you not remember telling us how wealthy you are? Why would a wealthy person stay in an armed camp? Haven't you read any of gummer's posts of what a conservative paradise it is in Taft? How many employees do you need - there are 4 of unemployed of working age in his family, probably several more if you count his wife's boyfriends. Can you say Brush Factory reality TV show?

Well then, here's another chance to get on the record with a one word response to 2 simple statements that most of your phony-conservative buddies have to talk around. "I'm against sedition in no uncertain terms" "If we're going to invite citizens to leave, then we should start with seditionists" Do you agree or disagree?

... proof of which you will not be able to provide word one, you lying loon.

I understand that the kind of ignorance you're afflicted with is a large part of the reason we have an underclass that you like to whine about. I wonder how many of your break-in problems started with a dispute with an employee.

I'm not worried about any culls. They're about as likely as you ever posting a supported fact.
Wayne
I'll send the vid to iggy. I don't have a copy of a police report but you can ask them for it yourself. Or, you can post a $10,000 bond and I'll do the same. If I can't produce the report you get both bonds. If I do, I get both. Since you say I'm lying, it's a sure bet. Let me know if you have any balls and my lawyer will be in touch with the escrow instructions. Otherwise, why should I spend hours tracking it down? Proving ANYTHING to you means nothing to me, you're the one with credibility issues.