OT: Teaching kids to save-NOT!

Opps, I mean *not* apples and oranges.....

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

I knew hippies weren't all bad :^). I'd be tempted to get my five dollars worth too.... by the same method.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

Does this mean she'll become a socially conscious democrat activist or an evil hard nose republican banker :^)?

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

I'm sure it's got something to do with anchors.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I am beginning to fear that she might follow here older sister and become an irrational Fox News Republican.

I don't know any more. I used to consider myself a moderate conservative but the line has shifted and now I have been branded a liberal.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

That just about makes you THE poster boy for Poor White Trash.

JTMcC.

Reply to
John T. McCracken

In California - the state took the money.

'dormant' accounts - 3 months without physical attendance (what a joke) sends the state the account.

That happened to me on my Credit Union - paid off my car there and the next month my account was sacked. They, Credit Union, said I didn't have activity in my account and had no contact. - just paying the bill every month!

Glad I didn't go overseas for a month or two -

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

Thought that was insurance? ;)

Tim (remembering thread about car and health insurance from last year)

-- In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!" Website @

Tim Williams

Indeed, the lines have shifted. Which is why the term RINO has been developed..meaning Republican in name only.

But dont feel badly..those whom considered themselves moderate liberals are finding themselves (rightfully so) in the Liberal Extremist catagory.

Gunner

"What do you call someone in possesion of all the facts? Paranoid.-William Burroughs

Reply to
Gunner

Only the "F" word part. What can you do? $5 to cash a check??? I would certainly let them know my displeasure. But I would also find another method of cashing it next time.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

Eh, in many ways I'm conservative but I don't think myself as such because there are many things I side with the liberals on (not as many as the conservatives though). After all "To each according to his need and from each according to his ability" sounds pretty neighborly doesn't it?

To me the disagreements between the two are based on not understanding what works best and where the boundries of individual rights and responsibilities are and who, if anyone, is in charge to enforce those responsibilities. I think most ordinary people, who don't have a stake in this or that, are rational enough to come to agreement on an issue if they have the information they need to make a decision. The problem comes from those who have a stake in the issue, they don't want a rational, informed discussion because honest reasoning would result in a resolution, most likely not in their favor.

Irrationality, one leading indicator of a weak position.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

Being stuck in an ever narrowing middle, I am seeing to many disturbing similarities between radical conservative American Christians and radical conservative Arab Muslims. Intolerant narrow mindedness is a very dangerous thing.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

After all "To each according to his

Sounds Communistic to me.

Reply to
Ron Thompson

I think the extreme left and extreme right share a common defect.

Both groups want to totally control the lives of everyone, while often having histories of their own lives being out of control.

Cheers, Stan

Reply to
Stan Stocker

The fact that you consider it appropriate behavior to yell at and berate low level, low wage employees who are simply implementing the policies of their superiors, with no other option available to them, says a lot about your own character. A more mature type would probably talk to someone that can actually have an impact on the policy they disagree with. Any man that yells at and harrasses a woman employee for a policy she has no power over whatsoever, is a pure d coward, sissy, mommas boy punk. That's my opinion.

JTMcC.

What can you do? $5 to cash a check??? I

Reply to
John T. McCracken

Perhaps I missed something in what he said. I didn't take it that way. If he did so I would agree with you. But raising a stink is not necessarily immature. Of course you're right that talking to a higher up would be more effective but sometimes you can't do that, only hope that the lower pions would pass the wisdom up the line.

I normally would do that in the various jobs I've had just because I wanted satisfied customers for my boss.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

Very very almost :^). The Scriptures talk about the first century church holding *all* things in common. Again sounds very communist but the traditional church is anything but communist. A further study shows that although everything was held to be communal everything in your possession was still in your, and no one elses, control. I call the principle "Free Will Communism". It's the sense that God gave you certain things, not just for your benefit, but also for those around you. BUT, He gave *you* control and authority over them, no one else and certainly not some governmental agency. So you could use them purely for yourself if you wanted or do what God intended and use them not only for yourself but to also help others. It's the individuals choice and a choice that one day he, and he alone, will have to answer to God who gave them to him.

It's in essense Capitalism with a heart :^). The best of both worlds.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

The problem is not so much with people believing this or that but that they play unfairly when dealing with those of opposing viewpoints. There is only one truth, by definition. Even in the abortion debate, for instance, there are good arguments on both sides. Now most likely only one side is right in the end. But the *extremism* becomes apparant when one or both sides fails to recognize the good points brought up by the other. So no matter what you believe or how strongly you believe it if you are fair in debating your position you would always be considered *moderate*. And who knows, if you're fair minded you might even get your beliefs changed around. Can't possibly say that of an extremist.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

The same could be said of the radical secularists too :^). You're not one of them are you.....? I try to not be either. I hope you would agree that the purpose of open mindedness is not to blindly accept all things, even contradictory things, as being equal. To me the purpose of open mindedness is to avoid prejudice, to fairly and objectively examine all viewpoints which is the best, and perhaps only method of obtaining truth. The end goal of open mindedness is to make a decision as to what is right and what is wrong. Which then of course could be seen to be closed mindedness :^). The difference between an open minded conclusion and closed mindedness is most often demonstrated by the fairness one uses in defending his conclusions.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

I agree, we reward good service with our ongoing buisness and good word of mouth, we do the opposite for poor service, and I make a point of telling those in authority why we don't do business with them anymore. If I do this in a mature manner I have maximum effect, if I make a scene in the place I get written off as a nut. They don't care if the nut goes somewhere else, they may even be glad. They usually don't like to lose customers that at least "appear" to be sensible.

JTMcC.