OT: Tuna fish

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 22:16:12 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman scrawled the following:

The little woman musta bought the econo can, Steve. Like those ungodly expensive Underwood canned meat spreads.

-- The doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his client to plant vines. --FLW

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Read a book once, I think it was called "Big Secrets", in which the processes to produce a number of 'edible' items was described in detail. Some things ya just don't want to know....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Count me into that club. Excluding my boots, pocket knife, and wallet, everything on me for 300 days per year can be had at Wally World for a total of about $25. I see that lots of fashionistas spend the same money on this one item

which might help explain why so many of the er, better-dressed, are declaring bankruptcy.

Today a guy noticed my sunglasses hanging on a cord around my neck. His eyeglasses were dangling from what's probably the exact same 99 cent cord. He points at mine and says "only the coolest people".

I think that we low-fashion types are ahead of our time. I envision a day not too far in the future when we'll be using all the $40 sweatshirts for shop rags, and looking back on their era and asking WTF? :-)

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

Hey, check out those $12.99 jeans at Costco. I get about two years out of them. I figure they're 10% wrought iron. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ten dollar jeans at Dollar General last me at least two years. They get a little ragged, but I have yet to have a pair rip out anywhere. Brand is Open Trails.

The same applies to their slacks and jean shirts.

Reply to
John Husvar

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 21:29:45 -0400, the infamous John Husvar scrawled the following:

The $9.99 Rustler jeans at BiMart are great and long-lasting, too. The only thing I've ever done to wear out a pair was to sit in them while doing a roofing job.

-- The doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his client to plant vines. --FLW

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If your wife doesn't snicker when you call your clothes a wardrobe, you paid too much.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

"Wardrobe" actually is a joke. That's what comes from freelancing at home, in combination with the relaxed dress in offices now. I used to have four or five suits at a time, replaced regularly. Now I have two, and they're not going to wear out until their styles come back around some day.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I'm not sure exactly what my dress duds are up to these days. I'd have to check with the moths. Might be time to trade what's left for a salad shooter or something equally useful.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

If you're aware of whether your suits are in style or not, maybe you do have a wardrobe. Two years ago I wore the same suit jacket to my son's HS graduation that I wore to my graduation. Except for a tiny moth hole on the cuff it looks about the same as it did when my mother bought it for me in 1970. I thought I was in for a scolding when, once we were too far from home to turn back, I told my wife the significance of the jacket, but all I got was an eye roll.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

But they still advertise in price per pound, but display the item on the shelf at price per kilogram ($0.99/ lb vs. $2.19/ kg) Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Hey, your wife should be glad that you can still wear a suit you wore for high school graduation. Not many people can say that.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 19:45:09 -0400, the infamous Ned Simmons scrawled the following:

Perzactly!

Hey, the 70s styles are back "in". What's her beef? I just checked my shorts drawer and, sure enough, that old (c. 1969) wide-wale pair of OP shorts is still there. For S&G, I tried them on and they still fit! I, too, still have my one and only suit jacket from the 70s. It's butt fugly, but, like yours, it's in as-new condition. (No moth hole, though.)

-- Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I wish I could wear the whole suit. I haven't gained much weight since then, but the CG has shifted enough that the pants are long gone.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I know what you mean. I'm the same height, and exactly the same weight -- to the pound -- that I was when I graduated 43 years ago. Then I was a lean, athletic sprinter and quarter-miler. Now I'm a slightly skinny old fart.

The weird thing is that my son -- a better all-around athlete than I ever was, the same height as me and 17 pounds heavier -- wears my blazers and dress pants, and they fit him perfectly. When he was on an internship with a lobbying firm this Spring, a lot of my best clothes temporarily disappeared.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ive got a Nehru jacket hanging in a clothing case. I wear it to 60s parties. I bought it in the 60s

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I have a wife who gets rid of my suit when it gets broken in. You need a nice suit for: fill in blank ____ wedding, funeral, anniversary party, etc. So I do not worry about moth holes, style, etc. SWMBO does that job.

Reply to
Calif Bill

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:31:33 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

Mom sewed up Nehru jackets for the band, for my sister (lead guitar's GF) and for me (equipment manager) a -whole- long time ago. I was 13 and the bass player often said I might not make it to 14.

-- Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I would be able too if I lost half my weight. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Mine disposed of my good suit a month before a large family wedding. Next problem was to get a shirt with 23" neck remodeled to fit and provide an awning with the leftover material. The old tailor down the street refused to make one from scratch, but did a great job remodeling two off the shelf shirts for $25. Great old mid-European chap who refuses to close his garage/shop even though he must be at least 95. Officially he retired and set up his home hobby shop some time before I moved to London in 1971. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller