OT: What does "triple rinsed' mean?

Here is my dumb question for the day. What does "triple rinsed" mean? Recently bought a insecticide sprayer from an Air Force auction. The tank had a hand written sign saying "triple rinsed". I have seen this before and just assumed it meant that it was clean enough to be safe. The question is: what is the exact procedure to due this. I was cleaning some 5-gallon buckets and was trying to triple rinse them. Problem is: when does the first rinse start becoming the second rinse? Do I have to stop the first rinse, use soap, then start the second rinse? Do I stop the first rinse, let it dry, then start the second rinse? Is a triple rinse three times as long as it would normally take to rinse the bucket? How long is a normal rinse? How clean is clean and how do I know when I get there? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Reply to
Chief McGee

It means you got "screwed" three times for the amount you payed for it.

Bernd

See and .

This is the common instruction on the lable of pesticide bottles, though who knows what people actually do.

Regards, Tove

Reply to
Tove

rinse 3 times after washing. standard practice in chemistry. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

I've always assumed it's rinse once, swirling everything round, use a brush to remove any deposits, empty out, let drain until it stops dripping, until visibly clean, then repeat thrice.

The idea is that if you rinse it once, you will at best dilute the remenants of the tank with the contents, and once you pour it out you'll be left with that dilution of stuff drying onto the walls. If you rinse three times, then even if you leave 1/1000th of the liquid behind each time, it's now diluted a billionth of what it was, which in most cases adequate.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Lets say when our sprayer is emptied 1 oz of residue remains and we add 1 gallon of water and shake it up well and pour it out and 1 oz of the results remain. Then we add another gallon of water and repeat the process and again 1 oz remains. We repeat the process for a final time making 3 rinses The first rinse brought our concentration down to about 8/1000ths of the original the second brought it down to about 8/1000ths of that and the third to 8/1000ths of the second. You end up with six zeros in front of whatever the original oz of residue was.

Reply to
Beecrofter

I hadn't thought about this before, but one of the underlying principals of Homeopathy is their "Law of Infinitesimals".

Under this law, a compound retains (what ever they perceive as) it's medicinal properties even though they dilute it til the point that the chances are slim that even one molecule exists in each dosage.

Homeopathic practitioners must have a hell of a time getting their labware clean. You could rinse and rinse and rinse til the cows come home, and your rinse water would still be as potent as the prescription.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Which means you don't get much for your money.

Yup! 0 x 0 = 0

Ted "who believes in Avagadro not Homeopathy"

Reply to
Ted Edwards

the funny thing is, a lot of the time homeopathy works. Too much of the time to write it off as placebo effect.

I think that Allopathy has had too much success too quickly and has gotten lazy and arrogant.

Reply to
bridger

That's the same thing they say about dancing around in the moonlight and rubbing stump water on your warts.

However, the placebo effect can be as high as seventy five percent. Particularly in experiments where the only gauge for patient improvement is the question, "Do you feel better?".

That's why double blind studies were devised. When neither the experimenters nor the patients know which pill is which, placebo effect is cancelled out.

If you give a drug to 10 people and 7 of them get better it sounds good. But if you give a placebo to 10 people with the same problem and 7 of them get better, then maybe your drug didn't do too much.

If you know of any peer reviewed double blind studies involving homeopathic cures, I'd like to hear about them.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

If you read up on homeopathy, you will find that some of the potions may not even contain one molecule of the " active " ingredient. But of course it must be good because it comes from France.............

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

It is certainly a step in the right direction but even double blind studies are subject to problems. I have COPD and voluntiered to participate in a new drup study. They provided a badly designed "electronic diary" to record your breathing performance once a day. I have been recording mine four times a day using a PEF meter for years and could compare my records with their device using fairly sophisticated computer graphics. Either I was on placebo or their drug just plain doesn't work.

Don't hold your breath. There's lots of money being made off tap water.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Homeopathy largely markets psychosomatic (if that's the correct term remedies) that are essentially placebos consisting of pure distilled water. It it make the patient believe he is feeling better, the FDA has no objection to someone selling distilled water for $10 a phial so long as they don't make ridiculous claims for their product.

Quite often (particularly today in the era of "Managed Medical Care"), physicians are encouraged to refer patients suffering from physhocomatic illnesses (those with no identified organic based illness) to "Alternative Medical Practitioners indluding those in homopathey, chiropractic, accupuncture, herbal supplements, etc.

Since these patients are in no need of real medical care, and their personal interaction with their practitioner often makes them feel better (although does nothing medically), why should anyone including the FDA and AMA (which actually promotes this practice) object?

Where the FDA steps in rather quickly is where quacks pander their wares to people with identified organic illness, particularly cancer patients where orthodox medicine could definitely extend their lives. Here I believe that is as it should be, but that's simply my viewpoint.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

but note that the first dose starts at a fairly high concentration. subsequent doses decrease in strength over time.

Reply to
bridger